The Move - Brontosaurus - Live, Beat Club! Pristine quality!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

First time I heard the Move (or of them) was at Tower Sunset, they played this song over the loudspeaker system there and I grabbed the LOOKING ON album (on Capitol) immediately. That had to be, dunno, middle 1970s. This is THE MOVE #3, actually. I believe this videotape is dated April of 1970. That's just after JL joined the band. Their story is so confusing, especially in America. At any rate, enjoy. Love Jeff's Telecaster.

Talpa, Bonddm, Joti Cover and 36 others like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

I know no one gives a darn about the Move but the quality is so good on this perhaps a few of you will be interested. Seeing Baby Bev is worth the price alone!

Roy Wood
    Jeff Lynne
    Bev Bevan
    Rick Price

Bonddm, sixelsix, JL7 and 6 others like this.
  3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Being a life long Elo fan, its a bit odd I never sought out any of The Move catalog. One of these days I need to fix that.

Great video.

4. Chad75

Chad75 Forum Resident

I just got that Lost Broadcasts DVD of the Beat Club stuff not too long ago. They were such a great band.

Talpa and Larry Geller like this.
  5. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Maybe it's because of all the video processing on that clip, but it's funny to me (in an odd sort of way) how much Jeff looks like Clapton in that video. I've never noticed that before, and I don't think the resemblance lasted very long afterward.

6. OldShiftyEyes

OldShiftyEyes Forum Resident

I give at least two darns so thanks for posting this excellent video.

7. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

Who doesn't give a darn about the Move? The earlier, pre-Jeff Lynne group was the best but nonetheless "Brontosaurus" is one of my favourites of theirs; the original single version is fabulous, with a very heavy bass sound. The Move are well worth investigating; not just for Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne; Trevor Burton went on to play with Balls, The Pink Fairies and The Steve Gibbons Band, making great records with all of them.

I saw Roy Wood the other week in concert. His band came on firstly without him and started playing the "Brontosaurus" riff over and over for a couple of minutes, until Roy walked on and immediately launched into "California Man"! I've always been puzzled about why Roy faded from the limelight after Wizzard. To me, he was the major talent out of the whole Move / ELO circle.

8. somnar

somnar Senior Member

They're amazing. First heard them about ten years ago and couldn't believe how great they were from beginning to end. Thanks for posting.

9. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

That's really pristine quality. I need to delve more into Roy Woods stuff. I'm only familiar with Move songs from hearing Cheap Trick covering them.

Can someone recommend a good Move album or comp to start with?

10. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I like it. :)

11. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

Get a compilation of all their British single releases - preferably one that includes the b-sides as well.

12. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

How I love this jam!!!!!!

13. All their albums are good. Shazam is near perfect.

Joti Cover, JL7, Lost Monkey and 6 others like this.
  14. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Thanks for posting this. I was a big fan of the Move after hearing Night of Fear once on a far away, fading distant AM station in my room in Cleveland. Didn't hear them again until reading of the first album in the NME and mail ordering it from England in the spring of 1968. They were not well served by their U.S. labels, which mystified me. Always resented Lynne and ELO for preempting my Roy Wood music.

ajsmith likes this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Love love LOVE The Move. Although Brontosaurus is probably my least favorite of their many UK singles.

But it's nice to see such a good condition video of the band actually playing live.

That old A&M Best of the Move 2LP collection is a killer. Fantastic liner notes, too. Add Shazaam and Split Ends (itself also boasting amazing liner notes) and you have what constituted the available Move in the US in the mid '70s.

I like this footage. All live. Wish it were in color, but it's amazing to hear Roy Wood's familiar voice come out of a clean cut guy dressed so fashionably.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Talpa, Hamhead, footlooseman and 3 others like this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Really babies there! Thanks!

17. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Here's 30 minutes of them playing in color, mostly live but a few of the songs are mimed. I like hearing the live versions of "Fire Brigade" and "Blackberry Way." They also turn in a nice performance of "Flowers in the Rain."

Set List:
    Intro 0:00
    I Can Hear The Grass Grow 0:23 (live)
    Beautiful Daughter 3:40 (mimed)
    The Christian Life 6:07 (live)
    Flowers In The Rain 8:54 (live)
    The Last Thing On My Mind 11:16 (live)
    Wild Tiger Woman 16:05 (mimed)
    Goin' Back 18:33 (live)
    Fire Brigade 23:25 (live)
    Something 25:46 (mimed)
    Blackberry Way 28:32 (live)
    Credits 31:57

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wow, just amazing. I wonder where this came from, given that just about everything from the Colour Me Pop series has been lost...

Beautiful Daughter, while apparently mimed, isn't the LP version. It might be the LP version with the strings removed...but it's definitely a different mix than what appeared on Shazam! It's pretty odd that they slotted a few mime pieces in with mostly live tracks...

19. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

A BBC engineer saved the Small Faces, Moody Blues and Move editions, (as well as bits of the Bonzo Dog Band edition).. also The Trapeze and Chambers Bros editions still survive by chance.

I think Beautiful Daughter is the same as the LP version, just without strings.. which means it presumably has Trevor Burton on it, though it was released a year after he left the band.

Lightworker and bleachershane like this.
  20. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

If you thought they looked like babies there, check this out!

21. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

22. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Man, they were so good...

23. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

I have live video of them doing "I can Hear The Grass Grow," great stuff... I think it's on a Nuggets 2 DVD comp I have...

24. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Thank you for sharing this clip. I like all eras of The Move, though the last era might be my favorite. The Move should have been much bigger than they were, especially in the USA. I always thought it was a shame that Roy Wood left ELO so early and pulled the plug on The Move for good.

25. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

I've never seen a Trapeze or Chambers bros recording but Frank Zappa also survives I think pretty much in it's entirety.

For those who don't know Colour me Pop was an off shoot of Late night Line up an arts programme on BBC2 which was often used as a test bed for colour in 1967. Colour me Pop was tacked on in 1968 after the channel went full colour in Dec 67 and what survives is an incredible time capsule of late 60's pop.

As far as i have been able to tell the earliest pop performance that survives on 625 colour VT on the BBC seems to be Manfred Mann & Jelie Felix on Once more with Felix from December 1967. There may be earlier 1967 surviving pop colour 625vt performances from europe since they seem to have been less brutal in wiping their tapes than the BBC were.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.