The Mystery Girls - can anyone solve the mystery?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oldturkey, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Perhaps named after the New York Dolls song, and NOT Pete Burns' band, I remember this fairly obscure Bowie-obsessed group from Whistle Test in the 1980s. They played two songs - Ash In Drag and Prohibition, featuring the amusing lyric "Trying to keep up with the David Joneses".

I've always loved both tracks, I have heard a live bootleg of theirs and I bought the 12" extended Ash In Drag. Obviously they never had a hit. I love the sax in Prohibition and the guitar solo in Ash In Drag is great.

THE MYSTERY GIRLS - ASH IN DRAG - OGWT

There is a Wikipedia article about singer Robert Farrar, he's obviously been active recently, but I haven't heard any of his later music and his films sound 'interesting' but I haven't seen any of them.

Apparently: "In 2015 Farrar won the Berlin Song Contest Jury Prize as Merlin Dietrich with his song Flying out to Berlin."

Flying Out to Berlin - Merlin Dietrich - official video

Does anyone remember the Mystery Girls?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Neonbeam likes this.
  2. oldturkey

Not totally convinced by this but it's OK.

Neonbeam likes this.
  3. oldturkey

This one "77 In The USA" I didn't know until recently. The guitar feedback burn out ending is great. From 1982-1983.

Posted last year on YT, unless the BBC have it on archive, this is probably the only place it still exists. There's also another version of Ash In Drag and below I've posted a link to lots of other amazing music from the Riverside show that someone compiled on YT. Thanks to Paul Desmond - there's so many great performances on here.
    When music TV was alternative and unmissable!

The Mystery Girls - Ash in drag @ Riverside

Riverside BBC 1982-1983 - YouTube

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.