The new Audioquest Dragonfly....sounds terrific.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Puma Cat, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, my PCM DAC is gone, having been sold last night, so I'm out a PCM DAC until Gungnir arrives some time next week.

Was just at my local B&M audio dealer, and picked up the new Audioquest Dragonfly version 1.2.

Plugged it into the Mac Mini music server tonight, and connected with an Audioquest Big Sur stereo mini to RCA interconnect.

Have it say this little puppy sounds pretty fabulous right out of the box! :edthumbs:

Initial impressions are that it's smoother, sweeter, more open and more analog than the original Dragonfly, which was no slouch in this regard. Also has the nice punchy bass that the original Dragonfly was famous for.

If you're thinking of upgrading, I would recommend it. You can't go wrong for $149, and you can pass your original Dragonfly off to a buyer for 100 clams, or even make a gift of it some you care about in the spirit of the holidays.

Gordon Rankin does it again! :shtiphat:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2013
    DonnyMe, Scott Hicks and LeeS like this.
  2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I changed can to can't to make sure there isn't any confusion later on in the thread. :)

LeeS likes this.
  3. Puma Cat

Thanks, Gary!

Gary likes this.
  4. Puma Cat

LeeS likes this.
  5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

This is probably an upgrade I'd be interested in (upgrading from a NuForce udac-2) except I'm leaning towards a Peachtree DAC-ITX.

6. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I picked up the 1.0 for $99 on Amazon and while I was waiting I saw the 1.2 was down to $99 as well! By the time I canceled my order to reorder the new one, the price jumped back up to $149. So now I have the 1.0 but am very happy having it for that price.

7. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I've never quite figured out what I'm supposed to do with this device. I just bought an Oppo bdp-105 that allows me to play downloaded digital files in addition to SACDs, blu rays, etc. Would I use this to transfer the files from the computer after downloading them and play them on the Oppo? Is it mostly used for those who connect their computer to their receiver or listen by headphones to digital files?

8. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

It is a thumb drive sized DAC. USB connector on one end and 1/8 inch stereo jack on the other. It's USB Audio Class 1 (like the Schitt Modi, which is only $99 compared to $149), so it only goes to 96kHz. The dragonfly on the enclosure changes color depending on the sampling rate.

9. Puma Cat

The Audioquest Dragonfly is primarily intended to provide music lovers that use portable computers with high-quality music reproduction wherever they go. AQ understands that many people listen to music streamed from their computers, whether it be at home, work, or traveling. I use mine primarily at work and for traveling with a pair of Shure SE535s, or in the hotel in the evening while traveling on business.

10. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Very well written.

11. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Thanks. So it sounds like it's primarily intended to improve/maximize the performance of headphones when playing computer files on laptops and other portable computers.

12. Puma Cat

Yeah, pretty much, but I'm presently using it in my "office" going into the preamp with a stereo mini to RCA interconnect.

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The Peachtree is awesome but I might hold out for the Geek Pulse.

Scott Hicks likes this.
  14. Puma Cat

I passed on the Geek Pulse as I am getting the Geek Out portable DAC.

Scott Hicks likes this.
  15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm sure the Geek Out will be great too but I was curious to see what they could do with more parts and a femtosecond clock.

16. Puma Cat

Well, I am glad someone we know went for it, I will be interested to hear how it all turns out. Those guys at Light Harmonic really know what they are doing. That Da Vinci DAC is spectacular.

Scott Hicks and LeeS like this.
  17. nbakid2000

At $20,000 or a down payment on a house, it should be.

18. nbakid2000

Interesting. I'm in no particular rush to get a DAC at this point.

LeeS likes this.
  19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Any opinions on the Audioquest NRG-2 power cord and the Audioquest Big Sur cables?

20. Puma Cat

Sorry, I don't have experience with the Audioquest power cords; I'm a Shunyata guy when it comes to power cords.

I just bought the Big Sur stereo mini to RCA interconnect, and I like it a lot. I use it in conjunction with my Dragonfly to connect to the preamp. I like enough that I ordered a stereo mini to stereo mini Big Sur to use in the car's Aux input jack when using my iPhone with the Onkyo HF app.

Just a side note, read an interview with Bill Low, founder of Audioquest, on his Bridges and Falls series of cables. He mentioned that he carries a pair Big Sur stereo mini to stereo mini and stereo mini to RCA cables everywhere he goes in his briefcase so he has access to, or can play music from, his Dragonfly and obtain good quality sound.

The Big Sur uses PSC+ copper conductor material and "purple copper" metal for the connectors compared to the Golden Gate cable.

Most people don't realize it, but very high percentage or pure copper connectors are quite a bit more difficult to manufacture because it is quite difficult (that means expensive) to machine pure copper into a plug, or binding post, etc. This is why the vast majority of connectors (including good ones, like Carda) are plated brass rather than copper, and why the pure copper WBT binding posts are expensive, for example.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    LeeS likes this.
  21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks for this great info. I was told by a few people that Big Sur is a great cable to connect my CD player to my amp. I'm having a hard time finding a store that will ship the Shunyata to Canada, as I was also told that is a great power cable. Unless I can get my hands on one, I'll have to try the Audioquest version.

Puma Cat likes this.
  22. Puma Cat

Try Dedicated Audio to see if they will sell a Shunyata to a customer in Canada.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  23. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have the 1.0 and the 1.2 and the difference is subtle. The nod goes to the upgraded circuit topology of the 1.2, I can hear the difference when using my Sleek CT6 canal phones and my Shure SRH 840. Not so much difference with my cheaper phones.[​IMG] The 1.2 has a bunch of electronic certification symbols and logos on the back, otherwise it looks the same as the 1.0. Nice simple small dac for the money.

24. Vinyl Fan 1973

I finally got my Audioquest Big Sur 1 meter cable....I am very happy. A nice little upgrade.

25. Scott Hicks

Scott Hicks Active Member

My favorite DAC at the store

can't wait to get our Geek DAC's here at the store

LeeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.