The New Beat: What Brazilian music are you listening to now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Jul 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

Not huge into Latin music but someone posted an old video from this album and the album was a fun listen.

bluejimbop and Mychkine like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Revisiting Ceu's first cd. She sounds as lovely as she looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

Ivan Lins - Modo Livre (1974)

southamorican likes this.
  4. Poxy Bowsy

Rita Lee - Saúde (1981)

southamorican and SteelyTom like this.
  5. Poxy Bowsy

Elomar - Das Barrancas do Rio Gavião (1973)

6. PassionPlay

PassionPlay Forum Resident

Something new from Nicola Conte:

[​IMG]

panasoffkee likes this.
  7. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes
    Antônio Carlos Jobim - The Composer of Desafinado, Plays
    Stan Getz & João Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto
    Astrud Gilberto - Beach Samba
    Airto Moreira. Drummer who played with Miles Davis and Return to Forever.

Xabby likes this.
  8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Novos Baianos - Acabou Chorare
    Gal Costa - Gal
    Lo Borges - s/t, A Via Lactea
    Nascimento/Borges - Clube da Esquina
    Os Mutantes - Technicolor

9. Gabriel Leirbag

Gabriel Leirbag Well-Known Member

Reproducing two replies wich I wrote on other topics, one about brazilian 70's music and the other about Forró.

10. Gabriel Leirbag

Very cool things were mentioned here.
    I particularly love "João Gilberto" 1973's album, wich was recorded by Wendy/Walter Carlos, by the way.
    But overall, good recommendations.
    I would add some that come to my mind now - although I would probably remember more with more patience.
    I think the "shoe album" from 1972, by Lô Borges (wich was a central composer from Clube da Esquina) is a must-listen. If you like Clube da Esquina you'll probably like this one (sometimes I think I even prefer it).
    Another one, wich I discovered very recently, is this one, the first and self-titled album by Moraes Moreira, from Novos Baianos. Very, very good stuff. The LP version is very hard to find. If you find it, go for it.
    I would also recommend Emilio Santiago's 70's stuff. Probably one of the greatest singers brazilian's popular music has ever had. Go for this one, from 1975; and this one, from 1977 (wich has a particularly beautiful and classy rendition of "Minha Esquina"); and finally this one, wich is more calm, "romantic", with bery beautiful piano and voice arrangements.
    With a very psychedelic approach to brazilian rhythms, the albums "Espelho Cristalino" and "Molhado de Suor", by Alceu Valença, are really good also. He also participated in the masterpiece "Paebiru", by Lula Côrtes & Zé Ramalho - wich I'm surprised no one mentioned (I think).
    Dominguinhos is another artist which I really like, particularly these albums from the 70's period, "Domingo Menino Dominguinhos" (1976), and "Oi, Lá Vou Eu" (1977).
    I believe no one has mentioned him, but one of my favourite artists - wich a more "free jazz" thing - is Hermeto Pascoal. In my opinion, a truly music god. The album "Slavess Mass" is a good introduction to his music, I believe. But I highly recommend everything by him.
    Well, that's what I can remember for now. Some of the links may not have a really good audio quality, but are good to see if you like it, then you can go after a better audio quality version.
    Also sorry about any flaw in my writing, english is not my native language.

11. Gabriel Leirbag

(and now the one about Forró)

Nice to see this topic here. I'm not really a forró expert, but I can say one thing or two.
    For starters, the term "forró" is kind of a general term for a variety of rhythms, like "baião", "xote" and "xaxado". Those are traditional styles from the northeast of Brazil. The person who basically made those styles popular through Brazil was Luiz Gonzaga, a very well known composer, considered the "king of baião". He is THE reference you should look for.
    The basic "setup" for forró arrangements is "zabumba" and "triangulo" (triangle) for percussion, and "sanfona" (basically an accordion) for the harmonies and melodies. Of course they're often accompanied by guitar, bass, drums, etc.
    Well, I don't know so many artists, but I can quote some: Trio Nordestino; Marinês; Luiz Gonzaga himself; Jackson do Pandeiro (another big referrence, which also played a big variety of styles); João do Vale; Dominguinhos (he is kind of the "official" disciple or heir of Luiz Gonzaga). I think those artists are major referrences, and fundamental to get familiar with the genre(s).
    The styles associated with forró went, since Luiz Gonzaga, went all over the place, and can be associated with more contemporary artists (60's and 70's onwards), including some from Tropicalia, like Caetano Veloso and Gilberto Gil, wich has a whole album (soundtrack for a movie) dedicated to those rhythms, called "Eu Tu Eles". Other noteworthy artists that have been active since the 70's and do some "forró" are Alceu Valença, Zé Ramalho, Elba Ramalho. Hermeto Pascoal, wich is, roughly speaking, an artist wich mixes brazilian styles with jazz/free jazz (and, to me, one of the gods of music) have some interesting aproacches on the style. Sivuca, wich is a look-alike of Hermeto, plays the sanfona and has more of an instrumental forro thing (and also more "jazzy"); here's a very good instrumental album by him, Dominguinhos and Oswaldinho (they all play the sanfona) . Tom Zé, associated with Tropicalia movement, makes an interesting contemporary and kinda "avant-garde" forro here (the channel wich is hosting this song is a very interesting one to listen to some forró).
    More recently, 90's onwards, there has been a style called "forró universitário" (university or academic forró), wich is based on baião and xote, but has a more poppish, radio-friendly approach to it. Artists like Falamansa and Rastapé are good exponents of the style. Another 90's band worth checking out is Mestre Ambrósio, wich is associated with manguebeat movement, and do some forró, baião, xote, along with a big variety of traditional styles, like coco and maracatu. Some good examples here and here. From the same "scene", Comadre Florzinha is worth checking out too.
    More recent acts, more jazzy, instrumental, include the harmonica player Gabriel Grossi and sanfona player Mestrinho.
    Well... that was quite a lot. Leaving here two of my favourite renditions: this one, composed by Luiz Gonzaga's son, Gonzaguinha, and here interpreted by Gal Costa and Gonzaguinha himself. I just love this kinda funky forro style, quite unparalleled as far as I know. And this one, song by Luiz Gonzaga and Humberto Teixeira, here interpreted by Dominguinhos and Alceu Valença. Kind of a "chanson" approach, stripped from percussion, with strings, keys and vocals. Very beautiful.

panasoffkee and Mychkine like this.
  12. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

I would recommend getting the Anos 70 CD box set while it is still available. It contains his first four solo albums, which are all great. Faithfully reproduced artwork, no bonus tracks. The mastering is pretty good (DR10/DR14/DR10/DR9). If you like Novos Baianos this is a no-brainer.

[​IMG]

13. Gabriel Leirbag

southamorican, thanks for the tip... will look for it

valeu pela dica, vou dar uma procurada ;)

14. Gabriel Leirbag

Been listening to this one a lot ->
    Really good piece of instrumental music, based on traditional brazilian northeast rhythms, but with a contemporary approach.

And I forgot to mention one of the things I like the most from brazilian 70's music: Baiano e os Novos Caetanos.
    They were a tropicalia satire act, basically, based on a TV humor show. But is very good stuff. Great variety of styles in here: samba-rock, forró, even psychedelia.
    It doesn't stay behind, in my opinion, of Tropicalia records and other so-called more "serious" stuff.
    Albums: the first one here; the second one - my favourite - here. If you can, look for it in a better audio quality.

panasoffkee likes this.
  15. Gabriel Leirbag

I believe someone has quoted "Afro Sambas" by Vinicius and Baden Powell. True classic.
    But you should also check this one, by Monica Salmaso and Paulo Bellinati, in wich the afro sambas are reinterpreted with voice and guitar.
    Such a beautiful album. Salmaso's singing is gorgeous, and Bellinati's guitar work is just amazing.
    Speaking of guitar, someone quoted Guinga, and I remembered an album by guitar virtuoso Marcus Tardelli
    interpreting Guinga's songs (a sample here). First class stuff, worth checking out.

bluejimbop and panasoffkee like this.
  16. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

Please forgive me if this has been already discussed here, but I couldn't find the answer via search engine. What's the problem with the master tapes of Tim Maia's Racional? The cd reissues available are made from needledrops, and in the case of Vol. 2 the sound quality is very poor (too much IGD, horrible!). Can we expect a decent reissue soon, considering its masterpiece status?

17. Thanks almost entirely to this thread I have been catching up on some Antonio Carlos Jobim titles I would otherwise have completely missed out on.

One arrival last week:

[​IMG]

My Soul Sings | The Great Brazilian Songbook (drg)

+

One arrival this week:

[​IMG]

Terra Brasilis - Antonio Carlos Jobim (Warner Bros)

southamorican, Xabby and Lonson like this.
  18. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Imagine George Harrison's god afixation elevated to the tenth power, only with another religion in it's place. From the three volumes recorded (only two released, the third didn't come out because he was disillusioned with the religion soon after recording, go figure), only "Ela Partiu" isn't about the Rational Culture. Still, a damn awesome collection

moodyxadi and Naughty Chord like this.
  19. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

The lyrics are so absurd that I am glad I understand them. I think it adds to the enjoyment and makes you admire him even more for coming up with all this powerful music inspired by such bizarre source material.

"Ela Partiu" was not part of the Racional sessions, it was actually the first single he released in 1976, after leaving the cult. This track, along with its b-side "Meus Inimigos", was also released the following year on a split 7-inch EP with Marku Ribas, and included in the Tim Maia e Convidados compilation. It is sometimes believed to be part of the Racional sessions because it was used as a "bonus track" on the bootleg CDs of Tim Maia Racional that started coming out in the late '90s.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

panasoffkee and Naughty Chord like this.
  20. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Well, then it's worse than I thought! But thankw for thr info anyways

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Awesome albums!

22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

23. Pablo Bernal

Pablo Bernal Forum Resident

I found in the used bins Tim Maia "Disco Club" it was in the remixes section.
    I really enjoy it.

24. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

Well, where I live (NO of Spain) Spanish and Galician are spoken and this last language (Galician) has many roots in common with the Portuguese language which allows me to understand the lyrics of Brazilian music very well. In the middle ages the north of Portugal and Galicia were a unique territory called Gallaecia. In this sense I consider myself very fortunate.

Some of my favourites are:

Antonio Carlos Jobim
    Deodato
    Flora Purim
    Airto Moreira
    Marcos Valle
    Ed Motta
    Jazzinho
    Joao Donato
    Jorge Ben
    Os Mutantes
    Vinicius de Moraes
    Toquinho
    Banda Black Rio
    Ponte Aerea
    Edu Ribeiro
    Danzaranha
    Maria Bethania

panasoffkee and southamorican like this.
  25. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

Talking about Antonio Carlos Jobim I recommend Inedito (1987). A collection of nice songs recorded in his house. These songs were recorded at night to avoid the traffic noise.

[​IMG]

Two masterpieces are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jackie P, southamorican and Lonson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.