The new Lyra Atlas cartridge is here...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

It's one thing to quote, but another thing to really see how long a cartridge does last. I'm as curious as you and back when cartridges cost $100 - $500, I never gave it much thought, but when we are talking about these megabuck cartridges, I am indeed interested in what one can really expect.

2. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I don't doubt a stylus will play a record continuously for 2000 or even more hours, if it's the same record. That's unfortunately not typical use. But I'd expect that's how manufacturers measure stylus life.

I counted album sides for a few years; my cost per album was about 30p over a couple of replacement MCs. I decided that was fair enough since I could afford it and it sounded good.

3. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Jonathan Carr is on record (quite some time ago) that, with the highest quality diamond and modern stylus profiles-not just with Lyra but with many of the higher quality cartridge manufacturers-, 2.500-3000 hours would be possible but that the higher number would only be achieved with pretty scrupulous vinyl hygiene and very, very careful cueing.

Probably 7 or 8 years ago that he stated that. Unless there has been a dramatic change in stylus technology in that time period (either material or manufacturing), which I would doubt, I would think those numbers would probably apply today.

Better to be a bit safe than sorry, though, especially with more radical modern stylus profiles. Once they start to go they can chew up records pretty quickly. So better to replace a bit early than wait until you know the hard way that the tip is worn out, especially if you are playing valuable records, which one would assume would be possible with a $10K cartridge.

4. TONEPUB

I agree with that, and other manufacturers have concurred that careful cueing is perhaps the main thing you can do to extend stylus life. I've always been pretty fastidious with record cleaning as well.

Again, good food for thought here.

5. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

If you go to the FAQ page for Benz, they claim that with high quality styli, one should get at least 2,000 hours of play, and perhaps a lot more if the records are kept really clean. The key element to getting the most out of a stylus is a clean record.

6. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Can you please link that FAQ page?

7. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Jeff, how does the Atlas compare to other Lyra carts you've spent considerable time with?

8. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

whaleyboy,

I'm sorry, I thought it was the Benz site, but, I read it somewhere else. There is also the Vdh site that makes extensive comments on styli life. The claim that synthetic diamonds last 600-1,00 hours and natural diamonds last 2,500-3,500 hours (they claim that a vdh type 1 lasts 3,500 hours).

The vdh site is:

http://www.vandenhul.com/userfiles/docs/Phono_FAQ.pdf

9. TONEPUB

It's only a day, but much bigger sound than the Kleos or Skala. It's really the YING to the Olympos' YANG. Both cartridges feature huge dynamics and enveloping soundstage, yet the Atlas is more extended on top and slightly forward (though to be fair, it probably needs about 20 or 30 hours of playing time, as well as the setup to be perfect) where the Olympos has a more laid back slightly romantic feel.

10. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Thank you kindly - I was worried that I had gone nuts. The Benz Micro site is basically just a landing page. I am going to go check out the VDH link now.

11. vinylphilemag

vinylphilemag Member

My Atlas will be here soon (hopefully!); very much looking forward to it. It'll be replacing my much-loved Parnassus, which I'm keeping as a donor for an Olympos SL (even though I've received a few offers to purchase it!). :)

12. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

5-6000 hours is not possible. J Carr said his previous PF stylus is good for 2500 - 3000 hours. He has not tested the new stylus, however he did say it would last longer.

Its a great sounding cart. I don't think I will ever bother getting my 1200 hour worn A90 re-tipped.

cheers

13. TONEPUB

As I said, I plan on keeping this one, so perhaps in a few years, we will know the truth. Im as curious as anyone.

14. rockitman

rockitman Forum Resident

I will see how much it costs for a re-tip via Ortofon. I also have another A90 still sealed. My A90 has around 300 hours on it max. Lyra is definately going to be my next cart. Right now I am breaking in a Benz SLR Gullwing. The sound is promising, but I only have 8 hours on it so far...Benz says 40 is needed.

The SLR has a significanlty more in your face prersentation than the A90 and the bass is more extended. I'm not getting the liquid definition/detail of the A90 as of yet (may never, but will see after break-in)... for the money the Gullwing seems to be a grreat deal ($2,500 discounted)

15. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

AFAIK, Lyra sources their styli from the same place as every other high-end Japanese manufacturer, so there shouldn't be anything particular to their models vs. many others with the same styli.

16. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

That is incorrect and the styli is only one part of cartridge design.

While a few Japanese cartridge manufacturers source their styli from Ogura. eg Dynavector as well as Lyra. They are Ogura-designed, Ogura-made "PA" stylus with several different profile types.

Midway in the Lyra Helikon production, Lyra changed the stylus to the Lyra-designed Ogura-made stylus that we nowuse, with a minor radius of 3 microns and a major radius of 70 microns.
    This new PA stylus is a Lyra design and only used by Lyra. This Lyra only styli is used on Kleos, Helikon, Skala, Titan and Atlas. J Carr indicates it will last longer than the Ogura designed styli of 2500 - 3000 max, however he has not measured as it is a PITA to do so.

cheers

17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Chris, it sounds like you have a few years left with one and 2/3rd's A90 to enjoy.:righton:

With the 3 times more playable life of the Lyra's carts vs the Ortofon replicant 100 styli, they are " relatively " better priced than they might seem on first glance.

Can't comment on the current benz carts ( my only experience is Ruby 2), hopefully it will settle down to be enjoyable in the long term

cheers

18. mikel

mikel Forum Resident

hi Chris,

i'd appreciate a link or copy of the specific communication you are referring to about this issue.

[email protected]

thanks,

Mike

19. rockitman

rockitman Forum Resident

email sent Mike.

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Mike - long time, no see.

Welcome back.

21. mikel

mikel Forum Resident

Thanks Geoff. it's nice to be here.

best regards,

Mike

22. mikel

mikel Forum Resident

thank you Chris.

23. TONEPUB

Joe Harley from Audioquest/Lyra was here today to check the setup on the Atlas and he is arranging an interview with Jonathan Carr about the current lineup, so I will ask him specifically about stylus life.

24. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Jeff, a published interview with Jonathon would be superb. He is a really nice honest guy with a passion for his art.

25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I have never heard a Lyra, do they have a particular house sound?

And does Jonathan Carr recommend using them with high gain phono stages or step up transformers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.