The new Sgt Pepper chart action thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by emjel, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emjel

emjel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Out of curiosity, I just looked at the latest UK Album chart that goes up to 28th May and see that Pepper is a re-entry at 88. But is this the old original or the new release. And does anyone know if they will take the sales of all variants and add them together, or will the Deluxe Box Set as an example be recognised as a separate entity. Does anyone know how well this new item is selling.

Deany likes this.
  2. Deany

Deany Forum Resident

Hi
    This explains everything for the UK
    http://www.officialcharts.com/media/647277/official-uk-charts-album-chart-rules-march-2015.pdf
    Based on amazon.co.uk sales its looking like the 24th week at #1 for Pepper on Friday, hope so.

3. emjel

Thanks for the link which is quite interesting. But looking again at the chart listing, it states 5th week in the chart and highest position is 1, so I am assuming this is the previous release as the new one would have a different barcode, and i guess it is too early for the latest issue to do anything yet.

Deany likes this.
  4. Dante Fontana

Dante Fontana Forum Resident

After Ed Sheerhan dodgily taking the Beatles' record of songs in the top 20, it would be ironic if the Beatles knocked him off the top spot.

mrjinks, emjel and Deany like this.
  5. Deany

Deany Forum Resident

Yes the one in the charts you refer to is the 'old' release.
    There is a 'midweek update' to keep an eye on this Wednesday, it gives an approximation of how things are looking.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  6. emjel

Let's hope it is a high entry - maybe straight in at the top. Or am I being too optimistic. No idea what salesare needed these days to get to the top.

7. emjel

The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was last Number 1 on the Official UK Albums Chart some 49 years ago, but it could return to the top spot this week.

The classic album, which spent 27 weeks at Number 1 in 1967 and 1968, was last Number 1 in March 1968; 49 years on, the album's 50th anniversary edition, which features remastered and remixed material in addition to unreleased session tapes, could return to the chart's summit.

The LP, which is the best-selling studio album in UK chart history, has shifted a further 24,000 combined chart sales as of today's midweek sales flash, and has a considerable lead over Ed Sheeran's รท, which looks to slip from the top spot it held last week.

I wonder if it could get a bigger surge tomorrow on the actual 50th Anniversary of the original release.

8. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

This news had my daughter first annoyed that Sheeran was knocked off the top spot, then impressed and happy by what's taking its' place!

9. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Not Being for the Benefit of Mr. Sheeran... :)

10. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Finally, this long-overlooked classic gets its due!

11. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

It's a long time since I looked at the album charts, but this week's will be interesting.

Come on you Fabs!

Elliottmarx likes this.
  12. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I know! This album has been underrated and ignored for 50 years! I am happy that the public is finally grasping it!

Fullbug, Grand_Ennui and BadJack like this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

What about chart projections for the USA?

ODIrony likes this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Even with my stance against this remix, this is a good thing :cool:

If its younger folks that are buying and discovering Peppers, Id love to be a fly on the wall while they listened and discovered the journey.

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  15. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Millions and millions more people on this planet today....maybe billions....

....and the sales will be what ? 1/10th what they were when the album was initially released, 1/100th ?

I mean....it's just that it's a shame how the stats will play out. Sure....number 1 when compared to other of "today's sales".......

It's just a sad reflection that I find no comfort in. A MINISCULE number of younger folks 'buying'.....then used to be. :(

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. emjel

I guess it will be a mixture of people. The Beatles fans/ collectors will probably go for the big box and the general record buying public will go for the dbl CD. It would be interesting to know the ratio out of that 24,000. Not sure how well it is doing in The US, but I believe that if it is a double album which sells say 100,000 copies, RIAA recognise it as 200,000 sales. But they may have changed that.

17. emjel

I guess it's all relative by comparison to other artists of today. I mean if it outsells Ed or other artists of today, then that must be pretty good especially when the original has already sold round 34 million worldwide.

lightbulb likes this.
  18. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Do we really need about 30 threads on Sgt Pepper, why cant you post this on one of the other treads?

19. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Does the bonus material count toward Sgt Pepper's numbers? In other words, if the two discs of outtakes had been released separately, that might reach (at some point Gold status) giving everyone involved (or however that works) a new objet d'art for their walls.

20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I hope there's a separate thread to announce the US chart position.

Fullbug, Vinyl Socks, crispi and 8 others like this.
  21. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Followed by one asking how this chart position makes you feel.

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I took the CD down to the police station and showed them where it touched me.

23. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Well, what's even sadder -
    Is that millions of those people you cite have greater priorities...

Like survival.

ODIrony likes this.
  24. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Because this has nothing to do with:
    1. Pricing and Shipping
    2. The release and song content

mrjinks, ralph7109 and emjel like this.
  25. emjel

Well what one would you suggest if there are about 30 of them. I mean if you ain't interested mate, or it causes your brain a problem, then don't bother reading it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.