The "new" That Thing You Do

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by varispeed, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. varispeed

varispeed what if? Thread Starter

Just got this today from Amazon. Still such a cool little movie. Disc1 is the original and the extended version. Lots of extra Charlize Theron scenes that detract from the story and were wisely left out of the original.

I haven't really figured out everything new in the extended version. A scene with a fan brawl in the bowling alley where the "O-needers" first play (don't remember that being in the original) and a scene with monkeys on the Wonders instruments during the Peter whats-his-name segment. I think there are extra song performances in all scenes now, but I'd have to check against the original.

Disc 2 is full of extras including the band's (and Tom Hanks) trip to Japan via private jet where they actually did a little tour and played. Sounded pretty good too. Much better than when I heard the Monkees for the first time in concert in the summer of 67. Other DVD extras include a making of the movie short, a music video, tv spots, and some sort of HBO documentary done about the film back when it was made.

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.