The Odd Couple (Matthew Perry-Thomas Lennon)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Splungeworthy, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Said the man from Tennessee to the one from NYC.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

One is a state, the other is a city. This comparison exercise really isn't for you.

3. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

The rest of NY is the same as all of Tennessee.

4. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It was so weird to watch this, then the finale of Two and Half Men, last night.

5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I liked it. Laughed quite a bit. I'll definitely continue to watch. Love the movie and original TV series, by the way.

MikaelaArsenault, Keith V and dirwuf like this.
  6. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

The definition of a pointless remake.

I dialed up the originals on Hulu and laughed three times as much.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Absolutely spot on, especially Grammer/Hyde-Pierce.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    MikaelaArsenault and JETman like this.
  8. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Well, I don't usually like to be "spit on", but thanks :)

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

LOL, corrected!

10. music4life

music4life Senior Member

The wife and I enjoyed it. I was expecting a complete train wreck but was pleasantly surprised.

Best line: "It took me two days to figure out what F.U. meant".

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they used to run the Odd Couple every week-night around 11ish back in the late 70's or 80's?...it was great. No home video yet...I was thrilled to get them on DVD! Time-Life did them first. I still have the first season box from them.

12. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I find the movie hard to watch because Lemmon plays the role too straight...he's more sad and pathetic than funny.

13. Myke

Wow, I've never heard that before. I'm watching it with their son's commentary, and all 3 of us are cracking up. :laugh:

14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Which is from the original play/film.

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yeah, I thought was an out-and-out theft and was delivered much funnier in the movie. Maybe because that type of joke was not expected at the time;nowadays it is standard patter (but not as humorous!)

16. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I agree! it is almost a drama !

17. Myke

Not familiar with Black Comedy ?

18. guy incognito

Yep. And, of course, Matthau.

19. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Have you read his first memoir, "Rewrites"? It's wonderful if you are a fan of Simon which it sounds like you are. He talks about it at length in there. Movie - yes, TV not a dime... "not a dime" may be his actual quote in there. Sure, it may have been a package sale and technically you may be correct... but as writer, creator - he never got any money from an ongoing series which in these days would never happen. I can't recall how a creator of something didn't get royalties... but he explains in the book. Movie, he still gets money. Also, he recounts not making a dime on "Chorus Line" - his own generosity for a friend on that one (though he sounds like he sure regrets not claiming his "help" on the "book" there after it was such a hit!)

Anyway, so it sounds like this sitcom is cannibalizing the play to some extent - especially if the best bits from those who have seen it are indeed from Simon's play (and film script). Really says something when a 50 year old joke still nails it - and is better than what their own writers can do.

So Neil's gotta be making money on this TV series...

What's Simon's credit on this? Does it have the "Neil Simon's The Odd Couple" (where his name may not be less than 50% the size for the title? That's the play licensing caveat.) Or is "Based on the play by..." "Characters by..."

Just curious.

BTW, the film version is wonderful. The only thing I would have changed is to keep the original beginning and ending. The play is literally perfect - Oscar comes full circle. Starts at the poker game at Oscar's (what a mess, where's Felix?) and ends with the poker game (Oscar's cleaned up his act, thanks to Felix, who once again, is not at the poker table - but for better reasons this time).

I thought the credit intro with Lemmon failing to kill himself was unnecessary and took away from the beginning. The story arc is actually about Oscar, not Felix. The play is just brilliant and Lemmon and Matthau are wonderful - Matthau originally wanted to play Felix because he thought Oscar was just too easy for him... but it was the role he was born to play, and knock it out of the park he did! (Damn, what a great film... just reminded me of when Oscar gets a call from the baseball box from Felix asking him what he wants for dinner..)

Top 10 Comedy Films for me. And the original play - readily available in print form, is perfection.

Jeff

20. guy incognito

"Take your frankfurters and... !"

21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Wow, I've been away from sitcoms for too long. Both Dave Foley and Matthew Perry were unrecognizable.

It didn't do too much for me. I heard the theme and immediately wanted to see the Klugman/Randall show, which I haven't seen in decades.

22. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

IIRC, the tv credits read :"Based on the film 'The Odd Couple'".

23. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I was prepared to hate it, but wound up thinking it was okay. Some of the dialogue was straight out of the movie, which was straight out of the play, but when the situation is just being set up, I guess that's to be expected, no?

MikaelaArsenault and Keith V like this.
  24. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Not the play? Now that is odd.

25. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.