The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Grade C for confection. :D

2. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I'm sure you're right, although I was thinking more about the 70s but even then, this is probably a stylised notion, perceived from afar. Kinda depressing.

Falsness does as falseness will...

3. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

In a Black Country Communion mood today

4. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

When it comes to hard & heavy rock, the US never had four weeks like this:

4-13 Judas Priest - British Steel (UK 4)
    4-13 Saxon - Wheels of Steel (UK 5)
    4-20 Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (UK 4)
    4-27 Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell (UK 9)
    5-04 Motorhead - The Golden Years: Live EP (UK 8)

And the US never had a year that can compare to what happened in the UK in 1980.

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

A+ for the name. Raging Speedhorn is pretty awesome in a day when most of the good names are taken.

Dreadnought and Trillmeister like this.
  6. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

[​IMG]

Electric Guitars - Rock'n'Roll Radio - 2017

01. Rock'n'Roll Radio
    02. False Flag Operation
    03. Headless Chicken
    04. Swagman
    05. Splinter
    06. Bambi On Ice
    07. Lucy Glow
    08. Homewrecking Woman
    09. Stay Under The Radar
    10. Back To You

Mika Vandborg – electric guitars (left side), slide guitar, lead vocals
    Søren Andersen – electric guitars (right side), lead vocals
    Peter Kjøbsted – bass, backing vocals
    Morten Hellborn – drums, percussion, backing vocals

Guests:
    Jesper Binzer - lead vocal on Headless Chicken
    Jacob Binzer - guitar on Headless Chicken

Just got this 3rd album by Electric Guitars and am enjoying it immensely. I like it more than their last album (String Fever). Pretty solid hard rock throughout. Good melodies, great guitar playing (duh). Some of the guitar solos sound very much from the Angus Young school of rock (the first two songs that is).

Unless you live in Denmark you probably have no idea who these guys are, although you might be familiar with Soren Anderson, who has a long hard rock pedigree with some exposure over here (for example, he has made a couple albums with Glenn Hughes and is on Glenn's new one as well as being in the touring band for it) .

For this album, they have fellow Danish rocker band D-A-D members Jesper & Jacob Binzer guesting on one of the songs (Headless Chicken). Jacob also produced this album.

My favorite songs on the album are the two opening tracks, with their AC/DC flavored solos, but I like all the songs on this.

Here's a couple tracks from this on youtube if yer curious:

Opening track Rock'n'Roll Radio

Second song False Flag Operation, very AC/DC-ish in a good way
    False Flag Operation

Splinter - another song with a strong AC/DC vibe
    Splinter

Closing track Back to You; might be the longest song on the album? Love the heavy guitar feedback ending
    Back to You

Official video for Swagman, very heavy Sabbath vibe
    Electric Guitars - Swagman (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Official video for Headless Chicken with guest vocalist & guitarist from D-A-D
    Electric Guitars feat. Jesper Binzer & Jacob Binzer - Headless Chicken (Official Music Video)

Note that they have four official releases so far that I know of, the 1st album (2013) which featured a bunch of different Danish guitarists all doing guest guitar solos on the last song (which is how I discovered them, since Tim Christensen of Dizzy Mizz Lizzy is one of those guests, and I am a major DML/Tim fan), Brothers of Passion (2013 - an official live DVD), and previous album String Fever (2015).

junk likes this.
  8. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

I'm just going to leave this here, y'all do what you want with it.

9. Trillmeister

The year you mention was indeed the zenith of our creed's time, certainly over here.

I remember school shindigs during which headbanging was the M.O.

Indeed, as I've mentioned before, Saturday morning kids TV included one show which routinely featured guests like Lemmy (and Motörhead,) Cozy Powell, Robert Plant and Diamond Head!

This was probably because the presenters and producers were from a generation schooled on Classic and Hard Rock.

It didn't last long - because of the 'New Romantics' - to whom the limp wristed Normans from Londinium immediately flocked (minced.)

Today's middle aged knob twiddlers levitate towards Duran Duran instead of Hawkwind.

junk and supernaut like this.
  10. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

:righton: Yes, I also noted the name. Or Speeding Ragehorn? :laugh:
    Mocking the mediocrity at the lower rugs of the ladder these days just isn't sporting but I watch this, particularly Dio's gestures and expressions, and I feel like I'm witnessing a Shakespearean actor on the stage.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  11. Trillmeister

During my most recent infusion of Dio, I selected the fantastic The Dio Years CD which I believe has all his 'Sabbath milestones in remastered form.

It was the usual trio - 'Heaven And Hell,' 'Falling Off The Edge Of The World' and 'Ear In The Wall.'

Mind blowing quality.

But seeing the above - Blackmore, Dio, Powell, Bain and Carey (although that looks like David Stone on keys) - it's like encounterimg an alien intelligence.

12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the dio years is missing "sign of the southern cross" which I thought was one of the highlights of the mob rules album

13. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

No.

That compilation glaringly omits "Over and Over" - one of Dio's greatest-written, saddest songs ever. "Too many flames, with too much to burn and life's only made of paper." F***ing hell, man - that's a lyric.

It actually enrages me this incredible song is constantly overlooked, especially when it follows another amazing track in "Falling."

Do people just turn off the record after "Falling?" Am I the only person with "Over and Over" on "Mob Rules?" :D

kyouki, supernaut, SoKan61 and 3 others like this.
  14. Trillmeister

There is simply no arguing with such a point.

HAIL.

kyouki, supernaut and Cooks420 like this.
  15. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

This is precisely why you're one of my favorite posters. Respect.

16. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

Not a bad song on Mob Rules - its only flaw being it gets criticised for being a clone of Heaven And Hell - but if it is - its the evil sister the parents keep locked up in the loft.

17. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

WTF!!! :) :)

Cooks420 likes this.
  18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Shadow of the Wind is a masterpiece..."every day is an inquisition; who are you? what are you? why?"

All three of those new tracks were brilliant.

19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I still point to Voodoo as my favorite Sabbath song.

20. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

It's up there for certain, especially the LIVE EVIL version. Dio smokes the hell out of the vocals.

21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Let me just say I lost my s**t when I went to the Radio City Music Hall show in 2007 and they pulled out Voodoo. Never thought I'd get to hear them do it live.

22. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I've been listening to Pallbearer's cover of "Over and Over" a lot lately (over and over really).

Pallbearer is one of my favorite bands.

supernaut likes this.
  23. ifihadafish

The reinvention of the band 'Heaven And Hell' was the best thing ever to happen to that line up - if ever a cloak and dagger court case over the name Black Sabbath helped one era of that band we love it was this moment - as it gave us a properly focussed Dio-era lineup set list and those Heaven And Hell gigs were fantastic. I'm judging this on the Radio Hall and Wacken DVD's and my one time catching them in Manchester 2007.

While the Dehumanizer tour was exceptional too - I really don't need Dio covering the Ozzy period.

When he had too - the Hammersmith CD is his best moment.

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

While I mainly agree...Dio's renditions of NIB and Children of the Grave remain the definitive versions for me.

ifihadafish likes this.
  25. ifihadafish

Fair play!