The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Post a song heavier than that or post a bunch of times living colour sold out doing disco, the elder, etc

2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Once again, I need someone to help me out. When the revisionists first came along and said "ain't metal, dude" about Zeppelin and Purple, they told me that Hard Rock is different from metal because it still embraces rock's traditional roots dynamics of blues, country, folk, and gospel. Whereas metal (and punk) stripped away that roots sound.

So how is Rush a hard rock band when their music is totally devoid of blues and country? Same question for Styx, Bryan Adams, Foreigner, Boston.

3. dmiller458

You didn't say heavier, you said more metal. What does more metal mean?

4. Matthew Tate

I mean heavier. Kiss is not as heavy as living colour or rage against the machine and neither of those bands ever sold out like kiss so not sure why it got a laugh from curveboy

5. dmiller458

Help me out again. Is there a new sub-genre called Heavier metal? Do we need one? What about Heaviest metal?

6. Matthew Tate

There is a category of who sold out and who didn't, and really saying nailbomb, slayer, pantera and kiss are equal in heavyness is silly

Stormrider77 likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Having a riff more down tuned doesn't make something heavier.

8. dmiller458

And I didn't say that they were equal. Are Death and Bathory heavier than Living Colour? Because if that's your standard, then LC is not metal either. By that standard, only extreme is metal.

And the purist will tell you that when a band hits number one, it automatically means that they've sold out.

Top 200 Albums

9. dmiller458

In Living Color was a TV show. Living Colour is a band.

rebetis likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

So pantera sold out with far beyond driven?

That's not my definition or standard of what makes things metal but curveboy seemed confused why rage and living colour was on a metal list

11. dmiller458

Yes.

Confused? Is that internet speak for "he disagreed"?

12. Matthew Tate

He didn't disagree. He said they weren't metal

and sorry, no one will agree that panteras heaviest and imo worst album of the 90s, was a sell out because it got to number 1

13. dmiller458

I'm still waiting for someone to help me out. Is there a new sub-genre I haven't heard of yet called Heavier metal? What about Heaviest metal?

I also need someone to help me out with my question about Rush, Styx, and Boston.

14. dmiller458

Which means that he disagrees with those who say that they are.

There it is again: Heaviest metal. Can I find a definition for that on wiki or RYM?

I think I been here long enough that folks should know I don't care if anyone agrees with me or not. Who has an opinion that they think is wrong? IF I thought my opinion was wrong, I would've had a different opinion to begin with.

15. dmiller458

In fact, now that I think about it: IF a metal band even charts, they've sold out.

16. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I think heaviest metal is on the horizon. In ten years Priest, Maiden and Sabbath won't be metal anymore. :rolleyes:

Overall, I thought the Rolling Stone 100 was pretty decent, especially for RS. Sure there are some albums that I think warrant inclusion, and two Pantera albums in the top 40 is a joke but, it was pretty decent overall.

dmiller458 likes this.
  17. dmiller458

"I love Warrant! Heaven is my favorite metal song!"
    "Please don't make me hurt you."

18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I wonder if there's any 'pay to play' from labels to get on the list...

Purple and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  19. Matthew Tate

then i posted a metal song by living colour. thats why i posted it. to show they are metal. curveboy just refuses to look at what the real issue is. kiss lost a lot of fans and respect a long time ago. instead of looking at why kiss failed to make the list, disco tunes, ballads, the elder, etc he just tries to put down bands he doesn't like .

i didn't say "heaviest metal" i said panteras heaviest album and imo it blows for that reason. they tried on purpose to do one up the previous releases and it just falls flat but it hit #1 based on the bands momentum

20. dmiller458

But that doesn't make him confused. Stubborn maybe...

Or maybe he disagrees with you about what the real issue is.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  21. You lot.........!!!!!!!!??????!!!!

kyouki likes this.
  22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

That's what I think when I see bands like Sunn O))), Deafheaven, and Pig Destoyer on lists like these.

Deuce66 likes this.
  23. I got this when it was released.....1980, aged 16!!!!!!!

dmiller458 likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

well he lists kiss as a heavy metal band so it would help all of us if he listed what he thinks the bands that he says aren't metal are. honestly i've always seen kiss called hard rock, living colour funk metal and rage against the machine rap/nu metal.

Stormrider77 and GodShifter like this.
  25. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

I've written a lot on the subject. A couple choice posts are here (hallmarks of metal) and here (explaining Kiss as metal) and here (differences with nu metal) and lastly, here (GNR as glam metal). I think my observations are reasonable, and generally consistent with wikipedia, Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, and contemporary pop media (Hit Parader, Circus, etc.).

dmiller458 and Matthew Tate like this.