The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

My retro rarities listen this morn.

2. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

Thats a new name for me - will check out later on headphones.

3. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I do tend to dig into the bowels of Bandcamp

ifihadafish likes this.
  4. Fastnbulbous69

Fastnbulbous69 Forum Resident

I've been enjoying this Finnish band. The vocalist is iffy but he tries!

Dawn Of Genesis, by Legionnaire

Goodies coming Friday include Demon Eye and Argus. Love both those bands, have seen them multiple times. Argus played the Alehorn of Power fest last year, and was stoked to hear they were working on a new album. A great balance of epic, power, prog and doom! Got an early promo of Spirit Adrift - Curse Of Conception that's out Oct 6 and that'll be a biggie. I think it's a mistake, but the Kadavar - Rough Times CD pre-order is only $1.99 on Amazon. Get an order in before it's fixed! If you are not familiar with this German rock 'n' roll band, I could say a lot about them, but I'll just leave this of their drummer, Tiger, right here and let you all decide for yourselves...

[​IMG]

weekendtoy likes this.
  5. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

To me, metal requires an exceptional drummer, technical guitarist(s) and a powerful vocalist with a good range, such as; Rob Halford, Ronnie James Dio or Geoff Tate. Preferably a singer influenced by the likes of Ian Gillan.

IMO, those screamers with distorted Mics and guttural shouts simply wreck a power format.

6. Fastnbulbous69

Are you talking about Legionnaire or just in general? Cuz he doesn't scream, he just doesn't have the most powerful voice. And doesn't always stay on key.

7. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

fnb, did you see the Billboard 200?

Queens Of the Stone Age - Villians US 3 UK 1 CAN 1 AUS 1

They're number one on album sales, vinyl sales, independent albums, and tastemakers.

Top 200 Albums
    Charts | Billboard

8. zen

zen Senior Member

Deep Purple - Time for Bedlam - Burgettstown, PA, 9/1/17

dmiller458 likes this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I tend to dig into my bowels...

Er, wait, um ...

10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Are they still heavy metal / hard rock?

11. Fastnbulbous69

I did, thanks. They beat out Fifth Harmony, but not Lil Uzi Vert or XXXTENTACION, interesting. Matt Brown of Metal Insider has a subscription and reports on sales numbers, but hasn't posted the column yet.

12. dmiller458

I hear a lot of electric guitar in there. But you can judge for yourself.

13. Dreadnought

Sounds like some form of Boogie-Rock :shake:

14. Dreadnought

Rather than say what Metal is I can say what it should not be. It shouldn't be safe, comfortable and reassuring, the musical equivalent of what Full House and The Cosby Show were to TV sitcoms. Being #1 doesn't make it good. It should be dangerous.

15. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Thanks for the tip! Pre-ordered at $1.99!!

16. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

[​IMG]

from Saturday night.

I still remember being completely blown away by this when a friend played it for me in late '85.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Barely. Much less than Living Colour and Korn.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. dmiller458

Why do you think that you have to point that out to anyone? Isn't the other side of the coin just as true? That being #1 doesn't make it bad either? If you think we're all this stupid, why didn't you point that out to us too?

Since you enjoy pointing out the obvious, Lemmy help you out here. This isn't the official all purpose metal thread.

19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Primal Fear - new best of coming...with a killer Heart cover!

Matthew Tate and Jimmy Agates like this.
  20. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

If only there were a better way to release four new songs than tacking them onto a two-CD compilation. (Looking at you too, Edguy.) If only...

Matthew Tate and slipkid like this.
  21. Dreadnought

No kidding? I've never thought a single person here to be stupid and have never implied that that I was aware of. On the contrary actually. Well, I was hurried this morn and didn't complete my thought which was about how surprised I was when learning that for many younger people the movie The Exorcist was funny. That had me think about how what is frightening shifts over time and how What is Metal does also. Yeah, anyway, thoughts along those lines.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. dmiller458

Then why did you think you needed to tell us that being number one doesn't make it good?

23. Fastnbulbous69

I'd have to disagree with this too. QOTSA never said they were metal, and no one ever said they have to be. Or that they have to be "dangerous." To many, Slayer is comfortable and reassuring. If anything, QOTSA are subversive, even if it's subtle. Rather than adhere to boring expectations of how a rock band should sound and act, they chose Mark "Uptown Funk" Ronson as producer. Yeah, there's a little boogie going on there, and Homme will fight you for the right to do so. I think the boogie is more along the lines of late 70s ZZ Top which is great. My writeup a couple weeks back - Queens Of The Stone Age – Villains | Fast 'n' Bulbous

Yam Graham and Dreadnought like this.
  24. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

My favorite album for 2017 so far is The Obsessed - Sacred, edging out the new Tau Cross by a margin. I didn't expect it to be so good. Frankly, it's much more consistent and energetic than their previous one, The Church Within. Btw, the gap between these two albums is, count 'em, 23 years.

Dreadnought and GodShifter like this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Ah, damn, I didn't know The Obsessed had released a new record. I need to get on that. Is it still Wino, Rogers, and Pinhas? Anyhoo, as far as QotSA I really liked their first album, parts of their third and then thought they started sucking. A lot of people like Rated R but that one never did much for me for whatever reason.