The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

It isn't? I haven't seen another one here ...

2. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I always like a good cover, and as usual, Primal Fear delivers on another great one.

I bought their Metal is Forever disc because a) I don't have a lot of their albums so I get the 'Best Of' from their earlier stuff and b) a whole disc of covers.

[​IMG]

Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

You're the one who named your thread. You don't know the name of your own thread?

4. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Dude, sometimes just let it go...

kyouki, Stormrider77 and Jimmy Agates like this.
  5. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

No, it's Wino with two other guys, one of whom was either in Spirit Caravan or The Hidden Hand, not sure, but The Obsessed had a different lineup on each album, so I gues it counts. It sounds like a continuation of the first three anyway, but it's just a very good album in either case.

It's similar for me with the Queens, loved the first one, loved the third one, but Rated R was merely ok. Not sure why.

6. GodShifter

Uh, yeah. You're the one that said "isn't". So which one is?

#dudeyourmad

7. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

A: the official all-purpose metal thread
    B: the official all-purpose heavy metal and hard rock thread
    C: Nun of the above

8. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I'll read that when I get a chance. To get some insight. Funny that I had the early albums and yet I remember next to nothing about them. I suppose it's an unfair thing, the dismissal by some that invariably happens when a band takes a softer road.

I'm listening now and it is compelling. Will have to continue. :righton:

Because I was spitballing. Just loosely thinking about a theory. I had no idea it was exam time or that this was all so serious. :sweating:

[​IMG]

Stormrider77 and Brenald79 like this.
  9. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Glad you like it, have you heard them before?

10. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I know the name only but I can't say I recall any music. That's a very large gap between albums!

11. GodShifter

You're quite the stickler, huh? You're free to create "A" and conduct it as you wish, jeez.

kyouki, SoKan61 and Jimmy Agates like this.
  12. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Look up Wino, there have been all these projects and bands throughout the years, though The Obsessed has always seemed to me like his most natural venue. I'm glad he's resurrected the name.

GodShifter and Dreadnought like this.
  13. Fastnbulbous69

Fastnbulbous69 Forum Resident

I did a Wino piece a few years back that can be a good intro to his catalog:

I Want A Wino Doll
    [​IMG]

14. GodShifter

An immense amount of stuff:

Spirit Caravan
    Shrinebuilder
    Place of Skulls
    The Hidden Hand
    Wino
    St. Vitus

That's off the top of my head. What did I miss? Spirit Caravan is still my favorite project of his.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  15. Fastnbulbous69

That pretty much covers it! Above, I ranked my top 13 albums (in 2013). Interestingly, he was touring quite a bit with Spirit Caravan and rumors were they were recording a couple years ago. I think he decided to use that stuff for the Obsessed album.

GodShifter likes this.
  16. Fastnbulbous69

I do sometimes miss the early QOTSA sound but many bands have capably picked up that sound. For example, check out Gozu, especially their first couple albums.

LOCUST SEASON, by GOZU

Norwegian band Spirits of the Dead had several QOTSA moments to my ears on their 2013 album, Rumours Of A Presence. Their new one is allegedly out on 11/11.

Another Norwegian band that goes further into a psych prog/space rock direction is the mighty Motorpsycho, who just released a massive double album today. Check it out!

Motorpsycho – The Tower (Rune Grammofon/Stickman)
    [​IMG]

GodShifter likes this.
  17. GodShifter

I've got a ton of Motorpsycho stuff but I found I just couldn't keep up with all their releases. Besides that fact, they're always shifting stylistically which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you never know what you're going to get with an album of theirs. I suppose you can always listen online on YouTube or something, but I'm too lazy. I think BLISSARD is my favorite album. They've never been particularly heavy though on any release.

18. Fastnbulbous69

I'm sensing a lack of passion here -- you need to listen to The Tower. It has a wide range, but their heavy is plenty heavy enough!

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Fastnbulbous69

POGunter and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  20. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Referred to as the "Norwegian Nevermore", Communic has a new album coming out on October 27. If you've never checked out their stuff, it's definitely worth a listen:

COMMUNIC to release new album "Where Echoes Gather" on October 27th!

One of Europe’s leading and most popular prog metal acts is finally back: Norway’s Communic Official have made a lasting impression on the scene with their previous four studio albums “Conspiracy In Mind” (2005), “Waves Of Visual Decay” (2006), “Payment Of Existance” (2008) and “The Bottom Deep” (2011), which all have been released by Nuclear Blast. Critical acclaim follows COMMUNIC since day one and a devoted worldwide fan base is hotly anticipating the release of the first COMMUNIC album since six years. With “Where Echoes Gather”, the band impressively confirms and underlines its exceptional status. COMMUNIC’s first album for AFM is nothing short of another dark and atmospheric masterpiece, created by the very same three guys who founded the band back then. COMMUNIC’s characteristic mixture of prog, power and thrash sounds as fresh and relevant as ever and will amaze the band’s countless fans to the fullest.

"Where Echoes Gather" will be available as Digipak and ltd colored Vinyl (250 units gold, 250 red/marbled).
    Pre-order here: http://bit.ly/2x5a6sz

Cover artwork painted by artist Eliran Kantor (Testament, Sodom, Iced Earth).

Tracklisting:

Digipak
    01. The Pulse of the Earth (Part 1 - The Magnetic Center)
    02. The Pulse of the Earth (Part 2 - Impact Of The Wave)
    03. Where Echoes Gather (Part 1 - Beneath The Giant)
    04. Where Echoes Gather (Part 2 - The Underground Swine)
    05. Moondance
    06. Where History Lives
    07. Black Flag of Hate
    08. The Claws Of The Sea (Part 1 - Journey Into The Source)
    09. The Claws Of The Sea (Part 2 - The First Moment)
    Bonus Tracks:
    10. Watching It All Disappear (Live In Studio 2017)
    11. At Dewy Prime (Live In Studio 2017)
    12. Waves Of Visual Decay (Acoustic Live Version - 10th Anniversary Concert)

Vinyl
    Side A
    01. The Pulse of the Earth (Part 1 - The Magnetic Center)
    02. The Pulse of the Earth (Part 2 - Impact of The Wave)
    03. Where Echoes Gather (Part 1 - Beneath The Giant)
    04. Where Echoes Gather (Part 2 - The Underground Swine)
    05. Moondance

Side B
    06. Where History Lives
    07. Black Flag of Hate
    08. The Claws Of The Sea (Part 1 - Journey Into The Source)
    09. The Claws Of The Sea (Part 3 - The First Moment)
    [​IMG]

Chimera likes this.
  21. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Brenald79 and Engelsstaub like this.
  22. Timeaisis

Timeaisis Forum Resident

Currently rolling around in psych / stoner rock, which seems to be the modern metal sweet spot for me. Obsessed with Colour Haze at the moment, what a unique sound, can't stop listening to their whole catologue. I love the idea of modern metal in theory, but in practice it usually doesn't work for me. Obviously, classic Sabbath an Maiden are fantastic and some of my favorite bands, still, but the more modern stuff never really grabbed me.

Recs welcome, I got some Fuzz spinning right now.

Dax_Frost likes this.
  23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Finally got something to be real excited about. Can't get it out my player today. My favorite pickup of 2017, but it actually came out in 2015. Oddly enough, I ordered it from Amazon in October 2016 after reading a review in Classic Rock Magazine (think they included a song from it on their monthly CD giveaway samplers) but it just arrived YESTERDAY. I had forgotten all about it, what it was, when I ordered it etc, had to go back through my Amazon account and search for it to figure out what the story was.

[​IMG]

Anyone that has read my previous reviews in this thread knows that metal/hardrock songs with memorable melodies, good singing, great guitar, old school vibes is where my tastes run hottest.

This is the best metal-ish release I've heard since the new Diamond Head album blew me away last year. Insanely great. Reminds me of early classic Black Sabbath type music but at the same time sounds nothing like them. The guitars sound like they are blasting out of 60's era Orange amps (or something similar). This album could have been born in 1971-72 and fit right in with say Paranoid. Love discovering new music like this....

I don't have the time to try to write my own in depth review so I'll just point you guys to some that are already written, highlight a couple key points, and give a big tip of the musical cap to these reviewers:

The Sludgelord: Hair Of The Dog - The Siren's Song (Album Review)

'The Siren's Song' CD//DD track Listing:

1). Into The Storm
    2). You Soft Spoken Thing
    3). Don't Know My Name
    4). The Spell
    5). Weary Bones
    6). Gypsy Eyes
    7). My Only Home
    8). Wage With The Devil
    9). The Siren's Song Part 1
    10). The Siren's Song Part 2

Hair of the Dog is:

Adam Holt | Guitar/Vocals
    Jon Holt | Drums
    Iain Thomson | Bass

Hotly Tipped Psych Rockers, Hair Of The Dog return with their second album ‘The Siren's Song’. They released a debut album back in 2012 which sadly passed me by. Fast forward to 2015 and ‘The Siren's Song’ is the very definition of what a great Hard Rock album should be. It wastes no time in laying down the law and telling you who are in charge, and it isn’t you. Opening track ‘Into The Storm’ is a Psychedelic Blues/Classic/Hard Rock number that brings back memories of Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple, Led Zepp and the Black Sabbath. If you dig the classic guitar sound of the 70s then you’re going to be in luck, because Hair Of The Dog has you covered on all levels.

In terms of the vocals, they are beautifully crafted and feel as if they were recorded in the 70s. Lead vocalist, Adam Holt shows his impressive vocal range on the 2nd track ‘You Soft Spoken Thing’ as he goes from soft-spoken romanticism to grizzled rock-god with apparent ease. The instrumental work is superb throughout too as the band create magically crafted riffs. Hair Of The Dog combines classic hard rock musical landscapes with a more thumping and modern sounding stoner rock atmosphere. If that wasn’t enough, the record is a very bluesy affair, with lyrics containing tales of heartfelt emotion and woe. Third track ‘Don't Know My Name’ maybe classed as retro-rock by some, but for me it has an abundance of good old fashioned Classic/Stoner Rock magic, further demonstrating why Hair Of The Dog are so highly thought of.

‘The Siren's Song’ is a very loud album from beginning to end. No matter what genre or sounds the members put their minds to, Hair Of The Dog is very much a band who takes influence from the past whilst still maintaining a more modern sound. So you have the best of both worlds. Classic Hard Rock riffs mixed with the heavier Psych/Stoner element, perhaps best exemplified on the 4th track ‘The Spell’, which is an action-packed number that will get your head-banging and your foot tapping in unison. The lyrics demonstrate simplicity to them, but in my eyes that's a good thing, because this song is about rocking out and living life in the moment and not thinking about the more depressing things in life.

I was beginning to worry that Hair Of The Dog were going to bring a ballad to the party and they do with the track ‘Weary Bones’, a slow-burning ‘lighter in the air’ style song. Despite my initial reservations the track is fully loaded with some fantastic riffs throughout and whilst it is not one of the strongest songs on the album, it does show how focused and determined the band is by playing by their own rules. Lead vocalist Adam channels the spirit of Phil Lynott at times, perhaps not in vocal tone or structure, but definitely with the delivery and the confidence that Phil Lynott was known for.

People maybe fed-up with the non-stop onslaught of Retro/Classic Rock bands starting to appear recently, but you'll have no such worries with Hair Of The Dog, they breathe new life into this overly saturated genre. Songs such as: ‘Gypsy Eyes’, ‘My Only Home’ and the awesome two-part closing opus of ‘The Siren's Song’ prove that Hair Of The Dog have something to offer to everyone. The tone of the record is undeniably loud and heavy, but incorporates an atmosphere which is vibrant, full of energy and represents a band with a very bright future indeed. ‘The Siren's Song’ may not create the most original of sounds but these guys are still miles ahead of the competition within the Classic/Hard Rock genre. Definitely a band to keep an eye on.

Words by: Steve Howe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ready for Some Rock ‘n’ Roll?

Ready for Some Rock ‘n’ Roll?
    Doomed & Stoned’s Pick of the Week
    By Melissa Marie

Hair Of The Dog: The Siren’s Song (released 7/10/15 via kozmik artifactz)
    1. Into The Storm (2:17)
    2. You Soft Spoken Thing (3:53)
    3. Don’t Know My Name (5:43)
    4. The Spell (3:02)
    5. Weary Bones (5:47)
    6. Gypsy Eyes (4:30)
    7. My Only Home (6:19)
    8. Wage With The Devil (5:27)
    9. The Siren’s Song Pt 1 (3:31)
    10. The Siren’s Song Pt 2 (5:44)
    Are you ready for some real rock ‘n’ roll? After all, we’re listening to Hair Of The Dog here. The band name alone conjures imagery of the 1970’s, when sleek muscle cars and seductive women ruled the world. Hair Of The Dog is also the title of Nazareth’s album from 1975, so I can’t help but drawn an association to 70’s.

While the amazing trio from Scotland do trail across the classic rock course, they are much more than a retro act. Hair Of The Dog do chug out riffs that are psychedelic yet contemporary, perhaps even on the progressive side. Additionally, their new LP The Siren’s Song is very metal, most notably in the drumming. Pay attention to Jon Holt, he’s a superstar on this record.

Those who prefer their classic rock infused with rich, dark blues are going to love this even more. The songs on this album will take you back to the time of Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, with homages to classic records like Houses of the Holy (1973) and Machine Head (1972). Take a listen to the first track, “Into The Storm,” and you’ll see just what I mean.

Adam Holt releases a fury of stoner riffs at you, showcasing his immense talent as a guitarist, and also as a vocalist. Sure, he’s not Robert Plant, but his vocals are so effing strong he doesn’t need to be. In fact, they remind me quite a bit of Arvid Jonsson’s singing on Greenleaf’s Trails and Passes (2014). This energy builds up and carries us into the next track flawlessly.

“You Soft Spoken Thing” is THE official feel-good track for the summer of 2015 and full of lively momentum, thanks again to drums beating furiously just beneath the surface. Adam and company are on fire, creating warm vocal melodies and wonderful riffs reminiscent of a simpler time.

As great as these bluesy stoner jams are, I find Hair Of The Dog create their best moments in small instances of quiet. You’ll notice this with the following track, “Don’t Know My Name.” Here, Adam lets it all hang out in a passionate, soulful song. Hair of the Dog really show their creativity in this one, as they go from soulful blues riffs to calm strumming and a soothing voice, all rather effortlessly.

By the time you get to “Weary Bones” you’ll find yourself absolutely loving The Siren’s Song. For this track, the instrumentals tone it down a bit, even as drums remain constant, but a bit restrained. This allows Holt’s voice to bleed through with raw, human emotion. The song ends nicely with a rather expressive guitar solo that sweeps everything away.

The last two songs close the album in like fashion. “The Siren’s Song Pt. 1” and “The Siren’s Song Pt 2” are two halves to the same entity (if that wasn’t obvious by titles alone). It’s quite appropriate that the LP was named after this piece two-parter, because this is truly the highlight of this record. Part one is atmospheric, even spacey, with a consistent drumming pattern as mid-tempo guitar riffs gradually find their way in. Then, we’re taken into part two, an absolute riff-Fest if there ever was one, matched only by those soul-shaking blues of Adam Holt’s vocals. Hair of the Dog do something very special here, confidently showing off their ability to build a musical coax in a way that is not only savvy, but just makes musical sense.

Do yourself favor and just listen to the record in its entirety. That’s the way it was intended, you know. The songs are share an organic kinship with one another, so passionate and strangely haunting, at times. I find myself being reminded of The Doors while jamming this record. From start to finish, The Siren’s Song will certainly be adored by fans of rock, whether it fans of stoner rock, psychedelic, grunge, or classic. Hair of the Dog give something for even the most fickle rock listeners to enjoy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And thanks to this writeup I've learned they have a NEW album coming out in a few weeks! PREORDERED! DUH!!

Hair Of The Dog |

Hair of the Dog is the product of over fifteen years of friend and musicianship. As children, brothers, Jonathan and Adam Holt would jam tirelessly in their childhood home; bashing out perfect Zeppelin and Hendrix covers, whilst always adding their own modern twist inspired by bands of the time such as Rage Against the Machine.

In high school the brothers discovered Iain Thomson, a gifted musician with an immense classical background. Iain shared the brother’s love for jam heavy, groove laden sounds. Together they would jam at any opportunity, growing strong as friends and musicians.

The trio naturally went their separate ways after high school. Jonathan became a professional actor frequenting both stage and screen. Adam joined infamous Scottish metal band Madman is Absolute. Whilst Iain pursued a highly coveted degree in classical music.

Despite often being at opposite sides of the globe, whenever the trio were reunited, they would always make time to jam; continuing to explore and develop the sound they had forged as teenagers.

In 2013, Jonathan and Adam both found themselves living in Edinburgh with a hunger to jam. The timing seemed perfect – as Iain too had recently relocated nearby and had been in touch regarding the possibility of jamming.

In the summer of 2013, the band hit the “jam room” and within weeks had written enough new material to record an EP.

The band entered Chamber Studios in late 2013 under the moniker, “Hair of the Dog” – a nod to Scottish classic rock band, Nazareth and a cheeky wink to the trio’s indulgent drinking habits.

Over the space of a weekend, on a shoestring budget, the band recorded “Hair of the Dog” – a self-titled EP, recorded primarily for self-reward and personal satisfaction.

The EP was self-released via Bandcamp in early 2014, with artwork created on Microsoft Paint. The band had only ever intended this to be a way of allowing friends and family the chance to hear what they had been up to.

What happened next, could never have been predicted….

Like a rolling stone, the Hair of the Dog EP started to gather a lot of attention. The bands ever growing fan base (largely based in Europe) shared the EP around social media like a wonderful new drug and before long, interest in the band started to emerge.

Following a string of positive reviews, the band started to receive interest from small independent labels from around the world; all keen to sign Hair of the Dog to their roster. After much thought and negotiation, the band signed an album deal with Berlin based record label, Kozmik Artifact. The deal with Kozmik would see three hundred copies of their debut album mastered by Tony Reed (Mos Generator) and pressed to high quality vinyl; a goal the band had long dreamed for.

With the debut soon to be released on vinyl and interest swarming around them, the trio once again hit the studio to record a follow up, full length album. However, this time, they were armed with a larger budget and bigger ambitions.

During this time, the band started receiving more notable gig offers; sharing stages with the likes of The Blues Pills, The Vintage Caravan, Elder, Mos Generator, Greenleaf and Lonely Kamel. With each set played, the band would go down a storm; winning over new fans and leaving a lasting impression with each of the headlining acts.

In November 2014, the band re-entered Chamber Studios to record their first full length album; “The Siren’s Song”.

Recorded and mixed over the space of a week, The Siren’s Song was a much different beast to the band’s debut. Bigger, louder and more sophisticated, The Siren’s Song demonstrated the trio’s full musical range and arson.

With budget left over to spare, the band made the decision to hang up their Microsoft Paint skills and employ the talents of artist, Dominic Sohor (Orange Goblin, Raging Speedhorn, Gurt). With very little direction from the band and permission to be as creative as he wished, Dominic delivered a piece of art that was undoubtedly the perfect visual representation of the music.

Finally, The Siren’s Song was ready…

In July 2014, The Siren’s Song was released on digital download via Bandcamp, as well as on CD.

Literally overnight, the album spread across social media, generating an instant buzz.

As with the debut, The Siren’s Song was well received by both fan and critic – generating a high volume of praise throughout the European underground music scene, resulting in a host of positive reviews; as well as being featured on the cover CD of Classic Rock Magazine.

2016 saw the band travel to Europe to play their first ever European shows; two blistering sets at the highly revered Roadburn Festival – a mecca for heavy rock and metal fans around the world.

On return, the band re-entered their studio and set about writing and recording a new album – “This World Turns”. Working again with recording engineer, Graeme Young and enlisting the help of James Atkinson (Gentlemans Pistols) to mix the album, “This World Turns” sees the band take their unique sound to the next level.

“This World Turns” is due for release July 2017.

The new album is actually due out on 9/29. At least here in the USA as per Amazon anywho.

I don't know if their original EP is even available anymore but I'll have to look for it.

According to google the entire Siren's Song album is up on youtube here:

Dreadnought and Brenald79 like this.
  24. Dax_Frost

Dax_Frost A Visual Loop

Big fan of Colour Haze as well. All their records sound really good too. For a rec - Check these guys out if you haven't before.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. Fastnbulbous69

Nice! Steve of Sludgelord is one of my mates who contributes to the Doom Charts with me: Doom Charts

There's no real shortage in this area! Funny how that CD got lost in some sort of stoner rock black hole. In the meantime they already came out with another album. It's not quite as great, but still solid:

This World Turns, by Hair Of The Dog

Colour Haze is also one of my all-time favorites. Can't believe this thing is already over 6 yrs old: Colour Haze: Kings of Stoner/Psych Rock Mountain | Fast 'n' Bulbous

For Colour Haze recommendations, Sungrazer and Glowsun have the tones. Causa Sui and Papir are more jammy, almost jazzy improvisational. Hypnos 69 & Been Obscene (proggy), and Pyrior.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    slipkid and GodShifter like this.