The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Got mine in a few days ago. Listened to it twice already tonight. It is not doing much of anything for me. I like it more than the last Temple of Rock album (which ain't hard to say - I HATED that). Sigh. I wish the new UFO album, or even the new Scorpions album, had Michael on it instead of this. These songs are mostly just blech to my ears. I like all the songs on the UFO or Scorps so much better than this. I was really looking forward to a new Mickey album but he has let me down again sad to say. Will put it in the car and try to get into it at louder volume..

2. C. Cushman

C. Cushman Forum Resident

Swedish metal has been speaking to me a lot lately-- not sure why?? They have a certain melodic sense about them... agree?
    Now Playing:
    [​IMG]

3. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

TYR update.

It's still just okay.

A remix with a punchier guitar could work wonders on it though?

4. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

It's a release which I find requires a somewhat focused mindset but when I submit to the material, perhaps pro-actively unshackling myself to the legacy of 'Sabbath and it flies nicely, as a really choice Heavy Rock/Metal album in independent, splendid isolation.

Curve's 'tiny hint of Whitesnake theorem' is not without substance, either!

Curveboy and ifihadafish like this.
  5. ifihadafish

I find Headless Cross to be closer to the Whitesnake sound of the time.

Something about Tyr doesn't pull me in as much as the first two Martin albums. I'm an all eras fan, as long as it's Iommi there. I like it, but im not passionate about this release.

Trillmeister likes this.
  6. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Sweden seems to be producing quite a few hard stoner rock bands these days, which is no bad thing.

Here's one - Fight to the Death by Hexagon

Nice bit of retro sounding hard stoner blues for you.

zphage and Olompali like this.
  7. Trillmeister

I won't bang on about TEI (again, :uhhuh:) suffice to say, it enjoys regular rotation but HC whilst fine enough was a bit of a stumble which Tyr seemed to strongly rectify.

As you suggest, the it is the presence of The Master (Tony Iommi) which more than anything else, ensures some degree of majesty to 'the Martin era,' even though such a project was always going to be fighting a rear guard action against the preconceptions and prejudices of the Ozzy, Ronnie and Ian epochs.

(P.S. In my previous post I mentioned being "unshackled to" when of course, I meant "unshackled from:" it had been a wicked night and the Blue Nun had flown like a particularly well oiled ferret up a drainpipe... Grammar Nazis, they scarred me for life!)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    ifihadafish likes this.
  8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

My only issue with Headless Cross (and Tony Martin has also commented on it) is the use of 'Satan' and/or 'Lucifer' in every song.

But man, I'd put Kill In The Spirit World in my top Sabbath tracks.

Trillmeister and ifihadafish like this.
  9. ifihadafish

Yes, there is a bit much of the old Devil in the HC lyrics, but it is an album I prefer over Tyr by a long shot. It could be it was the first Sabbath album I got on day of release, being a noob at the sport of Heavy Metal et al after serving a Hard Rock apprenticeship for a few years. Or it's just the tunes and sounds of HC float my boat better - as there is something lacking in Tyr that I can't fathom.

I had realised what angle you were coming from Trill - as long as Iommi is in Sabbath, thenSabbath is Iommi and whoever he choices to let join the party. Blue Nun - nice 80's throwback wine for drinking along to the Martin era lol

I think it was in another Sabbath thread I discussed my disgust at the weak 13 sound. Had it on via the mp3 player today while out walking - totally lacking all bass with biscuit tin drums, no depth to this recording whatsoever!

Trillmeister likes this.
  10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Since we're talking Tony Martin era Sabbath I'd rate them like this:

1. Cross Purposes
    2. The Eternal Idol
    3. Tyr
    4. Headless Cross

5. Forbidden

11. Trillmeister

That's an absurdly stellar recording.

'Fish, re the HC v. Tyr thing, one of the superficial factors which at the time and partly still, to this day, renders me a wee bit cool towards the former, is the production quality.

The 'gated' sound of Cozy's performance contributed greatly towards a 'sheen too far' which although a product of its time, seemed to tip the -ve scales just a little too far... Whilst TEI was itself an eardrum lacerating affair, the killer metallicism of the content itself, overcame my sonic misgivings.

Tyr sounds immediately like a rejection of that 80s inspired 'treblefesting' and seemed to inject some much needed, well, audible balls to proceedings.

I'm going to play both HC and Tyr back to back to make sure. :cheers:

dlokazip and ifihadafish like this.
  12. Trillmeister

Curve, just whacked on 'Kill In The Spirit World' then the title track off TEI.

The former is indeed quite excellent but...

...the difficult birthing of the latter needs no introduction: and, despite the several dozen producers and engineers who were sacked, walked away or just yielded their sanity during its making, the sonic quality of this record absolutely slays and the sheer calibre of Metal is so classic, the only scenario I can conceive of which might think about outclassicising it would have involved being picked up for some long past teenage birthday by Heather Locklear in a Bugatti Royale, chauffeured by Heather Thomas (I'm talking The Fall Guy's intro scene pastiche ;)) as transport for an evening's merriment at The Rainbow (Bar & Grill) for combustibles with Messrs. Dio, Blackmore, Iommi, Kilminster and Lynott and then being invited by Joey DeMaio to perform the voice-over for 'Dark Avenger' on Battle Hymns because Orson had come down with the trots.

Hail!

ifihadafish and Curveboy like this.
  13. ifihadafish

I lifted HC for a blast this morning in the car - but then Marc Ford's Fuzz Machine finally arrived from USA - so that got popped in instead. My new car should be here in the next day or two - so HC could be the first album played in that - I always christen each new car with a Sabbath album.

jeffgt14 and Trillmeister like this.
  14. Trillmeister

Class. :righton:

ifihadafish likes this.
  15. FlatulentDonkey

Took delivery of Disguises, the new album by Jettblack, today (signed copy to go with my signed drumsticks, thank you Pledge music).

It's a more mature sounding effort than their first two albums but there are still plenty of big riffs, hooks and melodies that they love so much. That unmistakable hard rock swagger and passion is also very evident.

Overall, a good album - 8/10 from me.

1. Slaves
    2. Explode
    3. Poison Rain
    4. Evidence
    5. Disguises
    6. Broken Bones
    7. Black And White
    8. Kick In The Teeth
    9. Enemy
    10. Human
    11. Smoke And Mirrors

[​IMG]

Jettblack - Explode

16. Trillmeister

Donkey, cheers for all these recommendations, much to go at.

I just have to upend myself and push on beyond acts forged in the fires of the late 60s and 70s!

For example, an unapologetic exploration of mid 80s, Scandanavian neo-classicism and Yngwie Twiddlestein's Trilogy, currently eases my path into the weekend.

Ludicrous but (for those somewhat hazy morns where and when it it possible to suspend 90% of critical judgement faculties,) superb.

Synthfreek likes this.
  17. FlatulentDonkey

New song and from a band I mentioned previously mentioned, Million Dollar Reload.

Roll The Dice

They have spent time touring with Blackberry Smoke and it shows. I'm loving the new sound.

Spudz25 likes this.
  18. kethdredd

kethdredd Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to this one. I have the first two and they are good discs. Hopefully we'll see a vinyl release for the third one.

*EDIT* WOW! I'm loving the direction they are going, reminds me of Junkyard, which is one of my favorite bands. Really sleazy, bluesy sounds. According to their website they have recorded an EP. REALLY looking forward to this one now!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  19. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Not bad...yes a cross between Junkyard, Rhino Bucket and The Black Crowes!!

20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I been listening to Gary Moore - Victims of the Future. Great album.

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Once of my favorites too. Gary is my favorite guitarist ever - his run of hard rock/metal albums have some incredible stuff on 'em. I was so disappointed when he veered into blues for so many years, those albums all bore me to death.

22. Trillmeister

Hail, hail, hail!

23. FlatulentDonkey

24. FlatulentDonkey

New album for you all - Crooked Doors by Royal Thunder.

I love this band. There music is a journey though the history of rock from blues rock to classic rock, to heavy metal, to doom to grunge, the influences are obvious.

And they have one of the finest female singers out there at the moment

Track list

1.Time Machine 07:08
    2.Forget You 05:20
    3.Wake Up 03:51
    4.Floor 05:00
    5.The Line 05:19
    6.Forgive Me, Karma 05:53
    7.Glow 05:45
    8.Ear On The Fool 06:31
    9.One Day 06:25
    10.The Bear I 02:19