The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i believe mangini only is on a few tracks on that extreme album

2. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Yeah, I know all these, except for Spearin, will check him out, thanks.
    Could never stand Mastodon.

ian christopher likes this.
  3. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Bearer of the Red Robes

I haven't been able to stand them since The Hunter.

4. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

That MSG album is one of my treasured vinyl rotatorgasms.

It may have worn like Jack Palance chewing sandpaper but still thumps like crazy and as I've mentioned elsewhere at some point, the track 'On And On' isn't just off the scale, it simply melts under the heat of such an irresistible holiness marching forth.

Stupendous Heavy Rock making you need more oxygen.

5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Brand new Lords of Black!

World Gone Mad

6. Finding "Assault Attack" at a Goodwill thrift/pawn shop a few years back remains one of the happier days of my life.

Lord Birch in the producer's chair on that one.

7. I'm not sure that Mastodon will be the acquired taste that Sepultura became for me.

there seems to be a lack of dynamic and any discernible melodies (Sepultura while heavy had melodies in spades) - but I'm only 5 listens in on their 2 big hyped 2000's discs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Sanguinus

That's a big problem with sludge (the subgenre they fall in when it comes to portions of their sound). Sepultura is leagues ahead of them at their best, easily.

9. Sanguinus

1990 was an insane year.

10. Trillmeister

One of 'The Wasp's' peaks, twiddle-wise, undoubtedly.

Birch had a way of capturing instruments so clearly yet boasts a repertoire of widly varying album sounds.

The first five 'Maiden albums all sound totally different to each other, as do the '70s 'Purple outings, early Whitesnake productions whilst RJD era Rainbow's first three are ying, yang and, er yong; ditto BÖC and 'Sabbath in 1980 and '81, respectively.

In all cases, the mixes all seem to work. (Apart from 'Maiden in the mid-late 80s when the overblown digisynthalis rather neuters the former clarity of a purer aggression.)

11. getting a really heavy Voivod vibe - a bit more neoclassical and a bit less psychedelic.

thanks for the share!

12. Sanguinus

[​IMG]

Pretty underrated, all things considered.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Son of the Morning Star® Thread Starter

Sepultura is not sludge. Thrash/alt. heavy metal.

Matthew Tate and ian christopher like this.
  14. Sanguinus

I was referring to Mastodon.

GodShifter and ian christopher like this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Son of the Morning Star® Thread Starter

Ah, perhaps. Certainly the early stuff could fall into that realm.

16. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Oh that's for sure. It shares the place with Youthanasia as my favorites from the band.

Jimmy Agates and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Trillmeister

I can plonk on prettty much any Megadeth, at any time and rarely feel short changed.

One of my most consistent artistes, old Dave (& co.)

By the way, there's a trio of sequential songs on the new 'Priest album that are on very heavy rotation at the present: 'Flame Thrower,' 'Spectre' and 'Traitors' Gate.'

In the second of these, at about 1m50secs is a guitar break, quickly followed by an intoxicating swirl of switching solos and riffing sufficient to send men standing idle into the cellars to retrieve a bottle of Chateau LeMetal-Zenith, 1978.

Such unsullied 'molten flow' is seldom matched in consistence of purity and to experience such delight requires the rapid crank of albums such as Mercyful Fate's 1983 debut LP, Melissa.

Elsewhere, a song entitled 'Burning Leaves' by Ensiferum fulfills the criteria.

Apologies for the darty, jumping, somewhat random, fly-like analysis but I'm currently roaming with a harsh ear across my modest collection, attempting a disorderly but hugely satisfying quest to contemplate unfettered, Heavy Rock and Metal mana that doesn't require 'a mood' for the listening but rather, enforces a joyous, head nodding fealty by virtue of irresistible brilliance which may just be an orgasmic solo (extended or otherwise,) soaring melody line or other instrumental device.

Oh, 'Nosferatu' by BÖC; there's another... simply exquisite.

As you were...

18. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

I share your appreciation of The Wasp... one of the most instrumental figures in my record collection. However, I disagree with your assessment of mid/late-80s Maiden production. I think Seventh Son is the best produced Maiden album. Nicko's drum sound on that album, in particular, is aural bliss (focus on his work on the title track... my God). The guitars perhaps may not have the aggression of Killers, but they have a gorgeous, shimmering sound that appeals to me... and I think is rather suitable for the conceptual nature of the material.

It wasn't until 1990 when Steve Harris insisted the band record No Prayer for the Dying in a barn to get a "street level, stripped down" sound when the Birch/Maiden production standards declined.

Trillmeister and Ivand like this.
  19. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

I only got into MSG about a month ago... but I agree. Fantastic dynamics and tonal diversity on that album... propelled by a signature Cozy performance. "On And On" is a spectacular track... along with "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie". Gary Barden had such a cool voice.

20. Trillmeister

Somewhere else, sometime ago, one or two members started defending/feting Somewhere In Time and 'Seventh Son... with fair vigour.

Clearly, it's all opinion but I do respect most around these parts and as I did then, I shall do now.

Which is to say, go back and replay to reappraise which when it comes to Metal, is rarely a chore!

I like your point about the guitar tone's appropriateness for the style of the album but certainly can't find vague consensus with the idea that this album is the summit of 'Maiden recordings, sound-wise.

However, I always find it edifying to take up others' metallic passions and flavour my platter accordingly: there's no denying that this album is a bit different.

21. Trillmeister

OOF - I like the cut of yer jib! :righton:

22. Trillmeister

That time "1m50secs" is with the CD track readout in countdown mode, just in case anyone thought I'd been at it since dawn..!

Subjective production values on the album are properly out of sight, I must say and it's nice to hear Scott Travis effecting a less frenetic style as per the Painkiller technique and delivering a huge sluice of rhythm far more in keeping with something redolent of 'Priest classicism.

I just can't get over how 'vital' Rob sounds, though.

Retire? Halford? Pah!

ian christopher and Curveboy like this.
  23. Yam Graham

Yam Graham Forum Resident

24. Yam Graham

Yam Graham Forum Resident

Without doubt Firepower is a superb album...let alone one for a band probably near its end.
    Production is much better than Redeemer Of Souls although typical of Andy Sneaps style. I'll take it tho...we are never gonna get the sheer organic analog bliss of Priest's 70's output.

25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

This song haunts me...Spectre indeed.