The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member

It's because those albums were so innovative. It was brand new stuff. Nothing else sounded like it. Once you got to British Steel, you could tell they were writing down to their audience. But I am still a fan of everything they recorded up to Defenders.

Brudy and Agent of Fortune like this.
  2. Redhat220

They don't even need that guy. Why is he onstage with them? He brings nothing to the table.

3. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Indeed, although it must be noted that the first three albums undoubtedly prepare the way, increasingly, before this momentous impact: I certainly count RAW alongside Holy Diver in the primary rank of the first wave of post-classical, neo-NWOBHM-visigoth arousal.

lenny nero and Redhat220 like this.
  4. Trillmeister

It seems a common view that the debut is a poor sound compared to the follow up and whilst it's certainly a bit raw, I've always found it one of the most savagely effective platters, period: the drums bounce transducers with psychotic abandon and the string sections invoke ear bleed; Di'Anno is perfect: the closest thing I can cite to this effect within several years is Kill 'Em All.

(In fact, there may be a sub-topic, here: 'classical debuts sounding better than much of that which followed?' Other examples I'd suggest included Black Sabbath, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, Holy Diver, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin and arguably In Rock.)

GodShifter, Redhat220 and jeffgt14 like this.
  5. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I prefer the sound go the first album actually. I'm not a fan of the sound Martin Birch creates. I do like the performances he gets though.

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

He's Bruce's buddy

7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

One of the bands that during their big breakthrough were unfairly spoiled for my friends and I by the radio. How many times can one hear "Ruuuuun to the Hiiiiiiills" before being completely turned off? Also hated the look of Bruce's bangs! Unfair and stupid, yes we were callow youth. Maybe it was the smoke in our eyes. I began reparations last week. Intending to listen to the first four in sequence I really got stopped in my tracks by "Killers"! Bruce fronted Maiden will have to wait as it's been three days of Killer and I continue the repeat play (mixed w other bands of course). Man, had the song "Killers" been on the radio in our neck of the woods it might of been different. Actually despite it being fairly straightforward maybe it was still too complex for our radio station. And do I ever hear future early clean Opeth in "Prodigal Son".

I thought his ratings to be very generous. By personal default I should knock at least two points off each score. What a lucky guy he is, liking so much that much. I've been crouched at the river for hours, days, weeks swirling my pan and only have a few nuggets of gold to show. Why must I be such a picky, picky bastard? It ain't fair! ;)
    He is a fun read though. Definitely a personal and creative take on each album review. No lazy or generic writing there. Worth the money for sure. Also a nice touch, his signing the inside. Regarding the small print used in the book, "get out your reading specs".

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  8. Redhat220

Those are all very valid points. Don't forget Boston on that list. In Rock is actually Purple's fourth album so technically that would not be on the list.

Trillmeister likes this.
  9. Redhat220

His books are very entertaining and engaging. His real love for music really comes through. My criticism of his books are twofold; for one he enjoys "slaying the sacred cows" by giving lower marks than anyone would to the known classic bands. Led Zeppelin for example he gives In Through The Out Door higher marks than the first album, which is just ridiculous. And secondly, he has this real love affair for very generic and boring bands like Axe.

Dreadnought likes this.
  10. Dreadnought

I agree, I also initially checked out some old familiar favs and scratched my head, not entirely objective. Expected evaluations could be found easy enough all over the web so it didn't bother me. I took him as sincere in being idiosyncratic rather than being fashionably idiosyncratic. Was pretty sure he wrote something about personal taste in one of the appendixes and looking again, sure enough. From Vol 4 the '00s. I'm too lazy to copy it out and not sure about copyright and or forum policy so therefore a photo of partial page.

[​IMG]

11. Dreadnought

Or maybe it was this that I was hazily remembering.

12. Trillmeister

Doh, of course, although as with UFO 1 and UFO 2, the level of those albums' primordial soup renders them effectively off my scope of analysis.

Boston - oh, yes! 'Foreplay/Long Time' have been system stalwarts since my first cognisance of the basic tenets of high fidelity audio.

GodShifter and jeffgt14 like this.
  13. Redhat220

That's the one volume of the series I didn't buy. thanks for posting it.

14. Redhat220

Primordial soup...very nice. I get where you're coming from.

15. Trillmeister

I've read elsewhere on SHTV that 'Crazy Train' is strictly in the 'pay no mind' department c/o myriad airings down the years throughout a corresponding number of sports arena tannoys...

Whilst 'Run To The Hills' charted in its homeland in 1982, there was no such saturation and although yes, it's entered a minor lexicon of sub-mainstream 'Metal/Hard Rock awareness' (ditto 'Breaking The Law,' 'Paranoid' and 'Kashmir,') this should in no way reduce a number's inherent qualities and in the case of 'Maiden's third album's hit(s,) even less so should it prevent longer term analysis.

For example, currently blasting out AMLOAD (what a superb anagram) and nodding with absolute, correctly observed propriety at what can only be described as developed genius.

I guess I never quite relinquished my fealty to Mr. Harris' Order.

GodShifter, Dreadnought and jeffgt14 like this.
  16. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Here's some great NWOBHMish power metal from Minneapolis, MN for you.

https://noblebeastofman.bandcamp.com/album/noble-beast

17. randian

randian Forum Resident

18. FlatulentDonkey

They are 16/44 sadly but that doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the music.

19. randian

randian Forum Resident

Too bad. $11 for a CD seems reasonable though and the FLACs save me a ripping step, assuming they aren't unconverted MP3s. How is the booklet? Professionally produced?

20. FlatulentDonkey

I just bought the download version so I can't comment as to the nature of the booklet

21. FlatulentDonkey

GodShifter and ifihadafish like this.
  22. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

This video about Tony Iommi's 'fingers' has been showing on VH1 Classic - I don't think it has been posted here, so wanted to share - kinda cool.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Trillmeister and Curveboy like this.
  23. FlatulentDonkey

Mountains by Slow Season

There is a whole lot of Led Zeppelin in this one. It's probably what they'd sound like if they were starting out now.

24. Trillmeister

"...a good thing from a bad thing." As with 'clever' and 'stupid,' it's always a fine line...

As ever, note the inherent link between the weight of industries, tragically, now, blown away and the gravitas of the music so sired; ditto the experience of 'Priest and others. :thumbsup:

25. FlatulentDonkey

Black Rainbows - Hawkdope

[​IMG]

Tracklist

1.THE PROPHET
    2.WOLF EYES
    3.HAWKDOPE
    4.NO FEEL NO FUN
    5.HYPNOTIZE MY SOUL WITH ROCK N ROLL
    6.WAITING FOR THE SUN
    7.JESUSJUDGE
    8.KILLER KILLER FUZZ
    9.THE COSMIC PICKER

Here is a psychedelic storm of heavy space rock with plenty of big fuzzed out riffs and mind melting solos for your enjoyment.

The Obelisk review is here

This isn't the first Heavy Psyche Records band I have taken an interest either