The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

http://www.discogs.com/artist/3543811-Dead-Daisies-The

EDIT: No info on US version. Reading IS Fundamental.

Curveboy likes this.
  2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

deniall, dmiller458 and lenny nero like this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Another recent hard rock/metal record worth recommending:

George Lynch's Shadow Train (2015)

[​IMG]

Gregg Analla - vocals
    George Lynch - guitar
    Gabe Rosales - bass
    Donnie Dickman - keys and backing vocals
    Jimmy D’Anda - drums

Disc One:
    1. Vulture
    2. Currency of Lies
    3. Power and Resistance
    4. Now It s Dark
    5. Vulture (Slight Return)
    6. I Am Weapon
    7. Ghost
    8. White Clay
    9. Fight No More

Disc Two:
    1. Believe
    2. Blinded
    3. Fallen
    4. Glitter
    5. Prayer Mechanism
    6. Sioux Wake Up
    7. Trail of Tears
    8. Under A Crooked Sky
    9. World on Fire

George Lynch is a very busy man. How many records has he released in just the past year or so? Lemme think - there's Lynch Mob's Sun Red Sun last year. The two different mixes of the most excellent KXM project (which he re-recorded some guitar parts for the European version). The Sweet & Lynch collaboration Only to Rise. The new Lynch Mob album (Rebel) due out in about two weeks. And this project as well (a two disc two albums in one).

Not to mention that this album is also a "soundtrack" of sorts to a new documentary that George made about the plight of American Indians today (I think - I'm not 100% sure what all the songs are about).

I have a hard time reading the two pages of liner notes in the CD booklet - the print is too small to be easily read by my eyes and made all the harder by the color scheme. What I gather from struggling to reads bits and pieces (and listening to the discs although I am not a lyric guy) is that this is a "protest" record of sorts, lyrically exploring issues like problems of Native Americans, racism, the industrial complex, economic unfairness, you name it.

The booklet is scanned & up on George's website so you can try to read it there at this link below. It's actually easier to read up there than in the booklet because it is enlarged somewhat, but at the same time it is inexplicably cut off on the right hand side, at least half of every sentence!
    http://georgelynch.com/wordpress/shadowtrain-liner-notes/

I'll let this writeup from Blabbermouth.com try to explain it:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ge...hadow-nation-documentary-to-see-light-of-day/

Legendary guitarist George Lynch's "Shadow Train" project finally comes to light in an all-new 18 track deluxe edition two-CD set, due on July 17 via Rat Pak Records. The former DOKKEN and current LYNCH MOB axeman's stellar guitar work is combined with contributions from vocalist Gregg Analla, bassist Gabe Rosales, keyboardist Donnie Dickman and drummer Jimmy D'Anda to create honest, soulful and meaningful rock, blues and hard rock-based music, making this release a must-have for all Lynch fans.

Songs on this disc are also featured in Lynch's forthcoming movie, "Shadow Nation", a thought-provoking documentary that explores the trials and tribulations that face Native American Indians in our world today.

About the release, George says: "I've spent over four decades of my life pursuing elusive musical aspirations. But for even longer than that, I've cared, studied and thought deeply about the human condition and how we interact with each other and the world around us. Fusing these two aspirations into one has been a challenge for me throughout my creative life. This is my attempt at bonding the music and the message into one cohesive whole."

As I've already said, I'm not a lyrics guy, my brain barely even registers them or what a song is supposed to be about, I listen for melody, the sound of the vocals, various instrument stuff and especially guitar solos, so probably all the higher purpose lyrics for raising awareness or outrage or whatever are wasted on me.

Musically it is pretty good, but stuff like rap lyrics and talking over music have me hitting the skip button. I guess there are about 4 songs or so like that; sorry not my thing. George's playing is fantastic as always, leaning more towards his more recent Robin Trowerish solo style rather than the Lynchian Dokken sound (to my ears anyway - with all this music I find it hard to digest it throughly, have only given it 3 listens so far, and keep hearing new things each time).

The reason this is a two disc set is because CD1 is by the current band and is the "real" record (?) whereas CD2 was recorded in stages year ago as the project took shape not with the same cast. I actually prefer the second disc over the first one.

Official video for the song Fallen, one of my favorites off the album, starts with a Dokkenish riff similar to It's Not Love:

Another of my faves from the album - Under a Crooked Sky - quite the "opus":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHDIZETNW5E

Recommended for all Lynch fans.

Btw, one of the videos above directed me to a new song (Automatic Fix) from the upcoming Lynch Mob album, and it is pretty good. Nice lead guitar bits starting around 4 minutes in...if this is a sampling of what is to come with that record then we are in for a treat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deJdCFQ76BA

4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Thanks Tom. :cool:
    Well based on the imagery I took a guess, googled "Faust silent movie" and got a bingo right away, Faust from 1926. I may have been very vaguely aware of the film. F.W. Murnau director of Nosferatu (1922). Anyway I like it a lot, this director Vance's video choices. Speaking of hard rock music video in 2015, this paunchy old man laments how common paunchy old men are (w some looking to be extras from Rob Zombie movies) and the lack of hungry young men and women age 20. Sad. I remember seeing on utube some European kids looking 16 doing a fabulous cover of Zep's The Rover but can never find it again. (You a cyclist Tom? I'm a year and half off the bike. Long distance but after development (50 miles an avg ride/ 100 m every other Sun) it became too time consuming to progress. I eventually declined to zero...and put on 25 lbs :realmad:).

GodShifter and octaneTom like this.
  5. Dreadnought

:edthumbs:

6. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Lament Cityscape's debut LP is out next month, here's a video / song from it. For fans of doomy, down tempo slow-grind metal.

GodShifter likes this.
  7. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Been playing my US Metal Blade original LP a lot lately, one of the overlooked, best albums from that era. Well worth searching out a copy, can't speak to the reissue, but the original sounds good.

Rapid Fire likes this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Really liked that. Thanks for posting it.

octaneTom likes this.
  9. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

As much as I like The Spectre Within I think Fates Warnings' next album Awaken the Guardian is so much better, and I may argue one the great metal albums of all time. Too bad at this point John Arch choose carpentry over this new prog metal sound. Not that the band suffered without John (love pretty much any Fates Warning) but I really liked his voice.

Speaking of John Arch, 2011's Arch/Matheos album Sympathetic Resonance is really good as well. I mean really good stuff.

10. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I think John's Twist Of Fate EP is his best post Fate work. I recorded a 24/96 file of this EP to a NOS Maxell reel at 15ips, just for the hell of it, it is amazing.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Whoa, I never even heard of that! I dig Fates Warning & Matheos' side stuff, that sounds great, thanks for the tip, will pick it up.

ian christopher and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Dreadnought

Have even short and sweet guitar solos been banned or something? :realmad:

13. Dreadnought

Oh wow. I think I got lucky here.

14. Dreadnought

15. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

It is an album of covers from the band Mother Superior who were popular in the era of the song without solos. I actually love the album myself.

16. GodShifter

Mother Superior who backed Henry Rollins for several albums? They had quite a bit of soloing on the albums I own of theirs (separate from Rollins).

17. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I haven't heard the original versions but I believe that most of the rest of the covers on the Motor Sister album have solos on them but the song in question didn't. Motor Sister is essentially the lead singer from Mother Superior, Scott Ian from Anthrax and his wife and a couple of others I am not familiar with. I like the album a lot though.

mdm08033 likes this.
  18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

19. GodShifter

Yep, Jim Wilson from Mother Superior.

The other guys are Joey Vera (ex-Anthrax, Fates Warning, Armored Saint, A Chinese Firedrill, Engine) on bass and John Tempesta, (White Zombie, The Cult, etc), and my good friend, on drums :). Sounds like a good band!

mdm08033 likes this.
  20. Dreadnought

Well, upon a few more listens maybe if it was half as epic in length it would have been better.

Interesting! Thanks for that.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Curveboy and lenny nero like this.
  22. Dreadnought

A search didn't bring up much though I'm sure Dawnbringer is commonly known among you uncommonly knowledgeable. This is a suitable soundtrack for my morning coffee, strong yet smooth, energizing without being jarring.

23. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Never realized that Metallica didn't write Blitzkrieg.

I was listening to the band Blitzkrieg and low behold song two...

Well I learn something every day. See 6:14 below.

lenny nero likes this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Just got the new Lynch Mob album Rebel today. Pretty good on just two spins, still digesting it. If you are already a Lynch/Lynch Mob fan you should dig it.

Great guitar as usual from George (sounding more Lynchian than Trowerian like I think he has on some other stuff recently), vocalist Oni Logan in fine form too.

[​IMG]

Oni Logan - Vocals
    George Lynch - Guitars
    Jeff Pilson - Bass
    Brian Tichy - Drums
    (Donnie Dickman - keyboards)

Tracklist:
    01. Automatic Fix
    02. Between The Truth And A Lie
    03. Testify
    04. Sanctuary
    05. Pinetree Avenue
    06. Jelly Roll
    07. Dirty Money
    08. The Hollow Queen
    09. The Ledge
    10. Kingdom Of Slaves
    11. War

Nice to see/hear George collaborating with Jeff Pilson again, although Jeff didn't write any of the songs on this (all are credited to George and Oni).

I already did a link in a post above with the first single (Automatic Fix) so here's one for the closing track, War (I like the chorus a lot btw and the guitar solos are friggin' amazing):

P.S. They acknowledge some musical inspirations in the credits of the booklet, and although it is nice to see one of my favorite (largely unsung) guitarists (Frank Marino) get a mention, they spelled his name wrong! Frank is listed as Frank Morino and Mahogany Rush (oops).

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

getting that lynch mob cd soon