The ONE little Known artist you would like to promote

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by olschl, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

The New Orleans Suspects are comprised of seasoned NOLA players; sax player from The James Brown Band, guitar player from Dirty Dozen Brass Band, drummer from The Neville Brothers, classically trained pianist. These guys are good!

Bill Diercks and olschl like this.
  2. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Thea Gilmore...amazing artist.

3. olschl

olschl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Reminds me of Greg Brown on amphetamines:

Dennis Metz likes this.
  4. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Maybe electric Dave Alvin sounds like that to you but...
    [/QUOTE]

mwheelerk, olschl and Lonecat like this.
  5. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Jimmy Agren. Brother of the incredible Morgan Agren. Jimmy is an amazing guitarist, his take on blues type playing is something else.

In addition to playing in Mats/Morgan Band, Jimmy has released several excellent solo albums, the most recent relased last December. On some of his recordings he plays all instruments and does it quite well. This clip is a bit older and features Morgan on drums. This clip rocks hard, some very tasty slide playing.

Bob Lamonta and olschl like this.
  6. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Devin Townsend.
    He's really amazing! A lot of his stuff has a wall of sound going on, lots of layers. Heavy rock with melody at times. Some very unusual songs quite often. Big powerful voice almost operatic at times. Steve Vai said he's worked with two geniuses, Zappa and Townsend.
    His early band Strapping Young Lad was very heavy and tbh i've not really gotten into those releases. After those he has released so many albums, each different than the previous, even a couple of ambient ones.
    Not that many guitar solos, but when he does play one it's usually special. As a person he is quite manic, his mind is all over the place. Does everything with a lot of humour, especially interviews which are always amusing. His drummers are alway fantastic players too.

olschl likes this.
  7. redfloatboat

Just Devin sitting on his own playing his great looking guitar.

olschl and mcchocchoc like this.
  8. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

He has recently been doing some recordings with another ex-Zappa guitarist, the great Mike Keneally. I'm looking forward to hearing what they come up with for sure.

Bob Lamonta likes this.
  9. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

10. redfloatboat

This is a track from his ambient releases. You need to listen on headphones, without them it's just so different and not the same or as good. The bass notes and just SO deep! Really rattles the wax in your ears. Not as deep on loudspeakers.

11. Chimera

Chimera Forum Resident

Today's contribution, keeping it local: Natalie Sandtorv

olschl and Beamish13 like this.
  12. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

A favorite from the 80s with a frustratingly scant discography--Hugo Largo:

Matt586 likes this.
  13. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

14. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

olschl likes this.
  15. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Fantastic tip. She's right up my alley. Fascinating backstory too.

Wugged likes this.
  16. Fun OT Fact: this was the first album to include fake ringwear as part of the cover design. This drove some later unsophisticated collectors nuts looking for nonexistant clean copies, as well as at least one reissue that removes the wear.

Fullbug likes this.
  17. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I wonder how they did that. When I look at my Second Hand cover up close, the cover is not glossy or smooth and the ringwear appears to be superimposed on top or manually created.

18. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

olschl likes this.
  19. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Burlap To Cashmere

olschl likes this.
  20. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Got another one. My apologies for double dipping.
    Jeffrey Foucault:

mwheelerk and olschl like this.
  21. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Love this. Here's another great performance, from Glastonbury 1971. David Lindley on steel guitar, Linda Lewis jumps in on vocals. What a groove.

22. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

I've posted this before in other threads here on the forum...and I'm gonna do it again. Singer/Songwriter Dave Barnes is just one of those artists that crosses over into so many different genres of music. Some may know the song that Blake Shelton covered of his called "Gad Gave Me You" Dave is so much more than he has been pidgeon holed in. For some reason he has the tag of Christian music and if you listen to the one album I would suggest anyone to pick up, 'Me, You, and The World' he is far from that tag/label. Here's a You Tube of his Opry Debut:

23. Not counting numerous Japanese artists that are obscure in the western world, I would like to promote The Queers, a hugely underrated band led by Joe Queer (Joe King) with a huge surf, bubblegum and Ramones influence.

olschl likes this.
  24. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Bocephus King

25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Clive Carroll

Here he is as a young player...

olschl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.