The Outfit- 70's 'Noir'

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bill Hart, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm a big fan of George Pelecanos' writing. I haven't read everything he's written, but I seem to keep coming back to his novels, which probably deserve a thread of their own. In the rich stew of soul, sports and crime that he manages to make fresh in each book, I learn something. This time, it was a reference to the film 'The Outfit,' which I somehow managed to miss, both at the time of release and during the inevitable broadcast TV re-runs that this film must have enjoyed during the grim years of TV that followed.
    Based on a Donald Westlake novel of revenge against the Mob, this thing plays well today. Robert Duvall, Karen Black, Joe Don Baker, Robert Ryan (in one of his last roles), and a cast of other recognizable actors from the era. No question this is the kind of film that Tarentino aspires to emulate. But, it needs no updating, or tongue in cheek cultural references, or retro-inspired soundtrack. The only complaint was that almost all the cars were Chryslers.
    A film that still looks fresh and kicks some ass-
    Highly recommended.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'm a big fan of Donald Westlake/Richard Stark's writing, and although I've seen and enjoyed several of them on their own terms, I still haven't seen a film adaptation of any of the Parker books that stood up for me, including The Outfit. I think Payback probably came closest, but was still missing something for me.

3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for this. I had missed the Mel Gibson flick and watched it last night. It had the right tone but started to go off the rails for me when the dirty cops showed up at the same time the Asian gangsters were getting ready to circumcise Mel. The remainder of the film was very entertaining- always enjoy the lovely Maria Bello- but it was over the top.
    I started reading the Parker novels from the beginning and am really enjoying them.
    Best,

4. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

There's been some really great graphic novel adaptations done on a few of the Parker novels by a guy named Darwyn Cooke, really captures the noir feel. May not be for everyone, but worth checking out if you're a fan of the stories.

Bill Hart likes this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

For some reason I had never encountered the Parker novels before and have started reading them in order. I'm up to "The Score." Just great hard-boiled entertainment. Oddly I'd read a few novels by Max Allen Collins about Nolan, which are an undisguised homage to the Parker series. These books by Stark (Westlake) are so much better.

I've read the first Cooke adaptation. . . I like what Cooke did with the Spirit, but this Parker book didn't do much for me, so much prefer the novel itself.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm a BIG Duvall fan, but due to recent surprise releases on Blu ray, I'm waiting on any and all Duvalls to make their appearance in that format.

7. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I bought the Warner Archive MOD DVD last summer. Should probably watch it again, as I remember being busy with stuff around the house and having to hit pause every twenty minutes or so.

Anyway, I thought it was OK, though admittedly I bought it more for the actors than the story itself: Jane Greer, one of my favorite actresses from the old, old days, Robert Ryan (another great from way back), and Karen Black.

I'll give it another shot when I'm in the mood to see big cars. And big sideburns. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.