The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 29, 2013.

1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

You're using Imgur... On the right side of the page are a bunch of links. Copy and paste the one that says BBCode (message boards & forums).

2. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I haven't felt compelled to modify further for years, now. One of these days I'll change the footers and PSU.

Technics SL-1200MK2 table (early version: no Pocan, larger whole in the bottom of the "form-fitting" plinth for other arms)
    Trans-Fi T3 Pro Terminator air bearing, linear tracking arm (have had this arm on my re-plinthed SL-1500MK2 and Thorens TD 150MKII)
    Mike New Audio bearing
    TTWeights 454g Classic record weight (sadly, TTWeights has been disolved)
    SoundSmith ruby cantilever/NCL stylus retipped Stanton carts (not exclusively; but, most often)
    DIY soft felt mat on top of stock 5mm mat (such a simple upgrade; better detail & clarity, no more muddy, dead, rubbery sound)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gavinyl, H8SLKC, Turntable and 11 others like this.
  3. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I like that bench

Vinyl Addict and Andrew Nyhus like this.
  4. action pact

Me too. It makes a statement!

Manimal and Andrew Nyhus like this.
  5. action pact

What is a "Pocan?"

6. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Good question. My guess? It's some type of heavy compound used to further stiffen and dampen the cast top plinth of later model 1200MK2's (against extreme external vibrations). Two seconds into this video you can see it. Don't let it fool you. That son of a motherless goat is h e a v y. Lol. Overkill personified.

PhilBiker likes this.
  7. Andrew Nyhus

Andrew Nyhus Well-Known Member

Thanks! :)

action pact likes this.
  8. Andrew Nyhus

Andrew Nyhus Well-Known Member

Thank you! Thrift store find for $125

Ham Sandwich and action pact like this.
  9. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Beautiful!

hi_watt likes this.
  10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

11. morris_minor

morris_minor Vinyl addict

Here's my new Lenco-based PTP Solid12 with an SME M2-12-r tonearm . . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pictures, info and links here:

Music and Vinyl: The Cast

12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I've got an old SONY PS-X700 with a Biotraer arm that occasionally acts up. I was thinking of trying the Terminator one of these days just to see (had one on a VPI and loved it).

John K.

56GoldTop likes this.
  13. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

A unique table the ps-x700; would you really want to pull that arm off? I guess, if it can't be fixed it, no reason to toss the table. The x700 would certainly be a conversation piece with the T3 on it.

PhilBiker likes this.
  14. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

A few pictures of my Thorens TD-320, it's pretty highly modified. The original TP16 tonearm is rebuilt with a composite of aluminum and brass tubing, filled with silicone (wires run down a Teflon tube in the middle). A new counterweight is used and tracking weight spring system removed. The table is no longer suspended, instead the two independent plinth sections are spiked to a heavy maple base so that the motor and platter stay in a constant plane, but are still highly decoupled. The platter and subplatter were structurally reinforced and significant mass was added. The two-phase analog motor drive electronics was updated with new power and circuit mods for better performance and sound quality, and moved to a separate enclosure away from the turntable. I generally prefer to play records with an "air mat" for even loading across and on both sides, so the record is elevated on three lead pillars in the label area, each topped with a thin layer of felt, and a custom record weight is used.

I know, some people would cringe at just the thought of it, but it is highly customized for my needs, without changing the appearance too much :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, orange translucent vinyl is the very nice Marriages Kitsune EP from a few years ago, while the clear and purple one is the one in my signature by Michal Jacaszek, my favorite of the year, so far.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

SWEET!

Davey likes this.
  16. John Woo

John Woo Well-Known Member

then....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Linn Majik

to....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rega RP6 with GrooveTracer modds
    Delrin platter to do away with the need for a mat
    GT subplatter with zirconia ball bearing
    Double belt pulley system (the RP8 n RP10 use double belt pulley systems as well)
    Underswung Counterweight
    for my ears the modds are worth every dollar spent :)

eis01, Archguy, Quake1028 and 13 others like this.
  17. John Woo

just a clarification, the double belt pulley system is not from GrooveTracer
    but Tango Spinner (Argentina). took in the Silicone belts which are meant to be
    more durable than the standard rubber ones and yes based on maker, Silicone belts also help lower floor noise and my LPs are pretty quiet now.....:cool:

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  18. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Very nice job! You now have that table in condition to appreciate a much better cartridge. After all of those upgrades I added a Soundsmith Aida and that rig reached another level altogether.

Vinyl Addict and Rickchick like this.
  19. John Woo

lol.... yes i hv been thinking about that too, the stock Rega Exact cart is ok but
    lacks some excitement if i may say. i hv been reading on the Nagaoka carts recently
    they seems promising with raving reviews from users in various forums

20. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Technics SL1000mk3 with Thales Simplicity II tonearm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

eis01, Archguy, Pythonman and 27 others like this.
  21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The SP10 Mk3 is a wonderful turntable.

56GoldTop, Vinyl Addict and Turntable like this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I was in a used record shop yesterday, and I saw a guy bringing in two Technics 1200 turntables in decent shape and watched the clerk offering them $10 each for them, while claiming he didn't know what kind of condition they were in. The fellow trying to sell them was hesitating and was totally unaware that they were easy to sell, as they had been his Dad's. It made me sick and I walked out

Pythonman, PhilBiker and Vinyl Addict like this.
  23. John Woo

if i may say, guy could have done some online read / research on the 1200 tables before going to sell them. info is never lacking now
    but to sieve through what is good info and is not, that take a little time.

btw its the same here in Singapore, if i were to bring a piece of hifi gear to a trader or commercial reseller, i would probably get peanuts for it
    bcos the guy over the counter is going to "thrash" the gear through n through saying things like ah.. tis model, no one wants, or tis model
    is too old, blah blah blah..... they are sharks that walk upright....
    so best is to sell them direct through local forums and if that fail, give it to someone derserving, :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  24. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Splendid. Great choice of arm.

Turntable likes this.
  25. bguzman

bguzman Forum Resident

Part one.
    OK, here are some pics of my TTs. Picked up all of these beauties of in various states of disrepair for $20 to $100 and brought them back to life.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Archguy, Turntable, Rupe33 and 14 others like this.