The Police on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Oct 24, 2005.

1. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Those two songs...:love:

vonwegen, DiabloG and jamesc like this.
  2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

ok so what is the consensus best-sounding Police compilation?

3. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Message In A Box

4. motionoftheocean

Looking for a greatest hits, not everything they recorded

5. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Plus, the consensus here is that Message In A Box is terrible. (Mind you, it doesn't bother me at all, and I'm sure it's not unanimous – but clearly it's the majority opinion.)

6. motionoftheocean

dunno, I've read plenty of comments here singing the praises of that one

be that as it may, I'm just looking for a handful of songs to take in the car. MIAB is a bit overkill.

7. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The original mastering of "Every Breath You Take the Singles". Should be plentiful and cheap. Also the early 90's Europe "The Greatest Hit's" is pretty much just as good sounding and you get the original "Don't Stand So Close". Just make sure it's the original and not the 2004/2005 remaster. The track list's do vary on both my recommendations so check them out first.

If you are even quasi-audiophile avoid the ghastly "Message In a Box". As for consensus, you're on the wrong forum for that buddy :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  8. ricks

ricks Senior Member

As some folks here know I'm a little familiar with this thread :) The opinions on MIAB skew more negative [or ultra negative] than positive. My hatred of the MIAB mastering aside, random or even majority opinions are meaningless, folks really need to know what kind of sound they prefer and find others whose opinions are close. Luckily the original "Every Breath You Take the Singles", the 1990 [or is it 1991?] "The Greatest Hit's" and "Message In a Box" are rather inexpensive so a good opportunity for those inclined to do their own ear work....

Gardo and SOONERFAN like this.
  9. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Just get the five CDs...you can find them cheap, and make your own comp.

The MIB will give you one of their greatest songs that's not on the other CDs...."A Sermon".

Carlox and SOONERFAN like this.
  10. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

The MIAB is so bad, I immediately noticed I had the ripped version on my server. When I was playing it while washing the car (yes I have decent 2.1 system in the garage too!), I noticed something was missing- sounded dull and boring, missing that Police "magic" (which to me is the realism and brashness of the drums/cymbals and Stings bouncy punchy bass).

The only good thing about MIAB is the pages and the case. Just super glue the cd's in place so they dont fall out.

(I did lossless Flac rip the non album material off the cd's before gluing :D)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    ricks likes this.
  11. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

a bit off topic... the Certifiable live versions of the songs have grown on me. Maybe because the arrangements are different, alternate new takes on classics that sound refreshing for the moment while appreciating and respecting the original work in perspective.

Voices in My Head/When the World is Running Down.. is a masterpiece. Andy Summers once again proves hes a gifted and incredible guitar player. He is all over the place on this one (in a good way)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

What do you mean by the original mastering? There was a disc that didn't use the 20 bit dithering-? iirc its the same mastering as MIAB.

I like The Greatest Hits - 16 track disc- 540 030-2 - from 1992 -you mentioned above

13. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

The one to get is the original from 1986 - catalog # 3902

Mine has matrix DIDX 000824

Code:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR          Peak            RMS           Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR15      -0.81 dB     -19.07 dB     01 - Roxanne.wav
    DR16      -0.31 dB     -19.71 dB     02 - Can't Stand Losing You.wav
    DR15      -1.21 dB     -19.16 dB     03 - Message In A Bottle.wav
    DR16      -1.31 dB     -21.03 dB     04 - Walking On The Moon.wav
    DR14      -1.02 dB     -18.49 dB     05 - Don't Stand So Close To Me '86.wav
    DR18      -0.57 dB     -21.09 dB     06 - De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da.wav
    DR16       over         -18.93 dB     07 - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic.wav
    DR16      -0.40 dB     -20.21 dB     08 - Invisible Sun.wav
    DR17       over         -20.17 dB     09 - Spirits In The Material World.wav
    DR16      -0.63 dB     -19.37 dB     10 - Every Breath You Take.wav
    DR15      -0.84 dB     -19.75 dB     11 - King Of Pain.wav
    DR17      -0.00 dB     -21.15 dB     12 - Wrapped Around Your Finger.wav

Number of files:    12
    Official DR value:  DR16

==============================================================================================

DiabloG, ricks, tmtomh and 1 other person like this.
  14. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The Greatest Hist I referenced on the above post is from 1992. To complicate things further there is also "The Police - Their Greatest Hits" from 1990 (cat #397 096-2), which is a re-issue of original UK? Europe? "Every Breath You Take the Singles" that includes an additional track, "So Lonely" that the US version does not have. Anyhow they all sound really nice, unlike the horrific (to me) MIAB.

15. Downsampled

Speaking of which... I'm sure the information is around in one or more other threads, but can someone summarize the options for Certifiable, with regard to audio? (Video is second priority for me.) That is, I kinda ignored this release when it came out, but would like to get it, and need to know what I should be looking for.

16. I'd go with the earlier mastering of " Every Breath You Take". I enjoy the "Message" set but I would agree with Ricks that for some albums there are better masterin gs out there and one of my fav b-sides is missing the hi hat intro (Shambelle) . Mind you, it's a great way to get most of their b-sides. I did follow Ricks recommendation for Ghost in the Machine and the original mastering blows away the version in the box but I also don't think its the worst thing out there either over all.

I do wish they had remastered this set to correct the errors (there's a handful of needle drops I've been able to identify, ttheres a pitch problem due to tape damage on one track. It's an imperfect set but there are highlights thst make it essential for hardcore fans.

17. Downsampled

Is there some place to get "Shambelle" on CD with the intro?

18. ricks

ricks Senior Member

My searching over the years has proved fruitless...If there is one out there I'd like to know as well

19. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Ricks, on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the US for US Zenyatta CD? For this one, I'm leaning towards the 2003 SACD as my favorite version until I get my hands on the Platinum SHM. The US for US sounds a little bright and harsh at higher volumes, especially during Shadows in the Rain. That must be a result of the clipping.

On a sidenote, this is my 1500th post. I guess I can celebrate by saying the Platinum SHM of Synchronicity is one of the best-sounding CD's in my collection and I try to spin at least 3 tracks from it per week!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  20. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Nope,same situation as the Sting B side "Another Day".

21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I have an excellent vinyl rip of that. I really don't see why it was left off Blue Turtles.

The US for US in the grey column is not good mastering I'd give it a "generous" 5 out of ten, the blue column I'd give an 8, and perhaps an 8.25 for the yellow column (D32Y). 2003 SACD layer I'd say a 8 [only 2003 SACD layer i think is above a 4], 2003 CD layer a 6 [best of the 2003 CD's not that says much], and the recent SHM release I think deserves a strong 9.0. As my sig states "all IMHO"

[​IMG]

props to Roland on the Zenyatta chart, the only one that is not my own

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    Gardo and DiabloG like this.
  22. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

I now own Zenyatta Mondatta- Made in Austrailia by Polygram. Has red Polydor logo on back.
    Made by SSD and 393720-2 #07 in the center hub. It has the same peak values as the Blue column.
    Will compare to my US for US soon.

23. Downsampled

Okay, just caved and ordered the SHM-SACD of Zenyatta. I do like the older SACD of that album.

24. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

Is there a version of this song with a different intro? All I have ever heard was the snare flam to begin the song.

EDIT: OK, I heard it - it is on the original vinyl 45 rpm only.....man, I would love to have this version, as I am a huge Copeland fan. Love the song too.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    SKean likes this.
  25. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I sure do wish all of the major labels (gee, in 2002-03 there were several, now 2 or 3) would revisit the SACD option, for back then I had
    a SACD player but was so damn busy with my career and now look back and see all of the releases I missed out on.....DOAH !!!

Eff Japan and their SHM SACD sales hook. Simply re-release the titles that were once avail with their exact mastering and let me and all
    here have a second chance to have at it......... Too many OOP titles missed then that are too damn pricey now in 2 channel SACD vs back
    then avail in hybrid CD/SACD stereo/SACD surround at normal pricing..... And still currently--at this minute--enjoying the Best Of by the
    Police on SACD stereo as well as the unknown surround layer that someone on this forum reminded us all of that it was there yet easily
    overlooked... Great sounding great music....