The Police on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Oct 24, 2005.

1. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

So now I also have MESSAGE IN A BOX and I actually don't like it much. I keep waffling back and forth on whether I like the first U.S. CDs the best or the digipack remasters, but both are better than MESSAGE which just doesn't sound right. I don't find it too bright at all, just kind of oddly flat sounding. The music just sits there, un-involvingly. Definitely the bass is better on the original U.S. CDs, and definitely the original U.S. CDs don't sound as compressed as the digipacks. However the digipacks have better detail and aren't overly crispy on top like the original U.S. CDs.

I have to say I'm gradually falling into the camp that says there is no ideal Police CD reissue series yet in the U.S., but that none are out and out bad either. I find myself listening more and more to the uncompressed first U.S. issues, despite the greater detail of the remasters...the compression just bugs me over time, try as I might to "listen through" it.

I've always thought the original recording on ZENYATTA was the worst on any Police record (well, except the first one which is sort of supposed to sound gritty and ragged). Even on vinyl it always sounded odd - thin and bright on top, bass sort of mid-bassy, and even less midrange than usual for them.

2. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Recently I tracked down a first pressing (?) of Outlandos d'Amour D32Y, I have found the following during an a/b compare;
    I believe it to be the same mastering as my Original AM+ Made In West Germany disc, but it is appox. .5-1db quieter, which I was able to confirm with waveforms. As a result of it being less loud, it seemed to my ears that the sound was smoother (less of a harsh edge) than the AM+ with a sound stage that is a tad wider. It also clearly beats out the SACD, although the SACD seems to have no "tape drag" on Roxanne. All this being said the recording quality of Outlandos is nothing to "write home about".

So to amend my current (and mostly worthless :sigh:) , Police CD recommendations/opinions:

1) Outlandos d'Amour - D32Y. Runner-up, the Original and easy to find AM+ is very nice, but harsher in comparison
    2) Regatta De Blanc - Original US/Japan For US AM+ and 38XB same mastering and sound on all.
    3) Zenyatta Mondata - Original AM+ (I have the Japan for US) or the SACD, though neither is really good.
    4) Ghost In the Machine - Original US/Japan For US AM+ and 38XB same mastering and sound on all.
    5) Synchronicity - 38XB [10 track] Close runner up is 38Xb [11 track same mastering avaialable on some Japan for US versions].

Rick

dav-here, leonafonte and Dave like this.
  3. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I will second that Ghost in the Machine is great. I have the original A&M+ and it is so rich sounding, plenty of bass and detail I almost fell out of my chair. its an amazing sounding US disc. I got it from a member here on the pay it forward thread and forgot to listen to it. pulled it out and WOW. what sound on this one.

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  4. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I acquired for a mere $1.10 the other day the UK Nimbus pressing from the mid 80's of Regatta De Blanc. Bags of depth on it.
    In Europe the original AM+ mastering was used until 2003 for the individual releases. All that happened around 1991/2 was that they were re-issued with 39xxxx catalogue numbers. You can easily find them on Ebay.co.uk

5. ricks

ricks Senior Member

IIRC Ghost's was an amazing recording sound quality-wise to begin with. Pretty much any of the non-remastered CD's of it should sound great.

It's a true shame that recent mastering's of this disc employ digital compression quite liberally, thus destroying much of this recording's beauty.

6. smorrissey

smorrissey New Member

Of course they're far better than the boxset.

7. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

Today I’ve got 3 Police’s A&M original discs as a part of CDs exchange.
    “Ghost In the Machine” AM+ series cat. № 393 730-2 (AAD) Made in France
    “Synchronicity” AM+ series cat. № 393 735-2 (AAD) Made in West Germany by Polygram
    “Zenyatta Mondatta” AM+ series cat. № 393 720-2 (AAD) Made in West Germany by Polygram
    Are they 1st pressing CDs? Do they have different mastering from 38XB and US original A&M CDs?
    Unfortunately, I won’t be able to listen to them until Saturday. What do you think about the sound of those CDs?

8. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I have those discs. They date to about 1992 and are pre re-masters. I like them although I don't own the relevant JPN or 1st US pressings to be able to tell you if they share the same mastering or not.
    As far as I'm aware they are from the same masters used for original European versions from around 1988/9.
    What I'll tell you is they really do sound much better than the current Ludwig re-masters and hopefully shouldn't of cost you much.
    If you can find the UK Nimbus pressing of Regatta de blanc go for it as one sounds really good.

9. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The ones that say West Germany wouldn't those date prior to 1989?

Rick

10. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Sometimes they were a bit lazy updating the inserts although the discs themselves are more likely to have something like Made in Germany after 1990 which mine do (after re-unification occurred).
    It might be worth checking what the catalogue number on the spine says as the UPC on the rear insert may differ.
    I would bet the stampers are the same though.

11. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

Thank you, Candy!
    I don’t like the latest Ludwig remasters. In spite of being bass improved, as some folks said here, they are too ears bleeding and harsh for my taste.
    Is the any reason to look for other Police’s UK Nimbus pressing CDs or it’s just a particular case with Regatta de Blanc?

12. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I have an early DADC AM+ and the 38XB of Regatta, also had the D32Y. They all sound very nice. Pretty much you can't go wrong with any of these non-remastered Regatta's. As for Bass I always thought it was fine on them. On the SACD it seems a little exaggerated, the CD/Redbook layer on my Hybrid causes me too much pain to listen, it's a Digitally Compressed "mess" is my feeling.

13. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

The vocals on the Nimbus Regatta seem to come through very clearly - it 'speaks' to you. I haven't got any other Nimbus pressings from around 86-88 to compare the others by but let's say Nimbus were quite good at CD mastering during this period.
    I'm with the early pressings for the Police. For those of us in Europe those 39**** AM+ issues are great value for money.

14. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I just found this thread yesterday and read it from start to finish. I find it amusing that the first few posts all suggest that Message in a Box are the best masters, and then as time goes by it seems people instead prefer the older CD masters. Just an observation.

I have to say, I never much cared for the sound of that box set - it's just too "weak" sounding.

A friend told me he thought he read here that there were actually two different masters of that box, but the remaster was put out without any fanfare or mentions of the packaging. I also thought it was revealed that the version of "Can't Stand Losing You" on many CDs was believed to be a needledrop (as strange as I'd find that to be). Anyone else recall such discussions?

15. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I have a Canadian Reggata de Blanc' CD, cat#69992, I guess from the 1st batch of CD's.
    Is the AM+ the same mastering?

16. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

I'm late,but I like the sound quality of the Message In A Box package.It ain't perfect,but it is better than the "Brickwall Bob" Ludwig 2003 SACD/CDs,which are hard-sounding and fatiguing.Haven't heard the Japanese verisons.

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Boy, those CD's must be very, very, very close in sound to each other; and they both look great. The 38XB Ghost in the Machine is pretty hard to find, though.

18. Rick, Amen!

I agree 100% with your assessment of the discs I know.

I never heard the 38XB's.

19. street legal

street legal Senior Member Thread Starter

Today I just found an early CD copy of "Outlandos d' Amour". The catalog # is CD-3311 (made in U.S.) & I just checked the total time, which is 38:48.
    This should be one of the "good" ones, right?

I own all of the Police SACD's, & I'm curious to compare this one with my SACD of "Outlandos". I always thought the SACD's sounded very good, but if I prefer the sound of the original A&M "Outlandos" disc that I just oicked up today, I'll be seeking out the others too, for sure.

I also own the "Message in a Box" set. Guess I should compare it to that, too!!! :)

20. street legal

street legal Senior Member Thread Starter

Another thing: the disc of "Outlandos" that I just found today has no mention of A&M+, anywhere on it, just A&M. It does say DIDX28 on the back cover artwork, & dates of 1979 & 1978.

21. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Sorry, I will ask again, I just have to know, since Regatta deBlanc is one of my all-time favorites.

I have what looks like an early Canadian pressing.
    # catalog: CD 69992
    Peak levels:
    95.3 / 95.3 / 95.3 / 95.3 / 95.3
    95.3 / 95.3 / 95.3 / 95.3 / 95.3 / 95.3

Is this the same as the AM+ series?
    I think it souds very nice.

22. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Not sure if it's the same?

The disc itself is a better indicator than the artwork.

23. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I think you may have a remaster?

Here are the EAC Peak Values from my original AM+ (matrix DIDX 586 11A2, Made In USA Digital Audio Disc Corp - in plastic hub)

Peak level 99.8 %
    Peak level 97.5 %
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Peak level 88.7 %
    Peak level 97.1 %
    Peak level 88.4 %
    Peak level 82.5 %

I can tell you this the original AM+ kills the remasters. The remaster is very harsh, bright and loud in comparison, at least the one I have anyway; the Box and the 2003.

24. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I have the original A&M's of RDB and GITM. They both sound great, especially GITM. I have the 1995 remaster of Sync, and it doesn't sound as good at all.

25. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Fred, as others have said that appears to be the 1993 remaster. They were not well labelled. If you look at the fine print on the back tray card, you should find a note about the remastering. At least that's how it is on the U.S. version. The remasters do sound ok as long as you don't compare them to the originals :shh: