The present & future of High-Rez.....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by lil.fred, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock Thread Starter

The present & future of hi-res

Break it down for me, folks: what's going to happen? I'm wanting to buy SACD or DVD-A, there are releases coming soon that I want in both formats... I can't buy both. Is SACD still "ahead", is DVD-A petering out? I can't wait forever! Please help with your observations!

2. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

This could get ugly.... but the best advice is to listen for yourself and buy what sounds best to you. Find the format with the titles that you like and indulge...

Hope that helps...

3. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Well said Isupro.

BC

4. lil.fred

So, there's nothing new that suggests one or either of these formats will perish?

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Nope. Sorry.

6. lil.fred

Is there a DVD-A machine that's comparably cheap to the cheaper Sony SACD player?

7. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

never has been... in my opinion.. I own both and enjoy both.

A "standard" would be nice... but it will probably be a while... if ever

8. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

There are "Combi" machines out there that you may want to invest in. SOme convert the DSD to PCM on the way out, but if that is not a big deal to you, then you can enjoy both formats in one player.

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Best to get a player that does both, or look at the software that is available or announced (be careful there), then get the format that matches the one with the most desirable titles to you.

They both have their advantages, and are both quite remarkable!

Good Luck

10. lil.fred

I'm really new to this topic. DSD converted to PCM, is that like digital to analog -- doesn't it have to do that anyhow to be received by my receiver?

thanks,

11. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I think DVD-A will prevail only because it is linked with the movie industry.
    I think SACD could fail 'cuz it is not linked with anything but audio and unless the releases go hybrid with CD redbook standard it will leave it as stand alone format.
    And I read that there is not much motivation for the industry to listen to us, audiophiles, the minority.

12. lil.fred

But this really is happening to SACD -- the hybrid thing. Stones already out, Dylan coming soon, Pink Floyd DSOTM already out ... It still looks to me like what the companies are insisting on (explicitly in the case of Warner/DVD-R) is that Hi-Res replace redbook for once and for all. I don't know if they're going to get that.

13. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

DSD is Direct Stream Digital, or the type of digital information on an SACD. It samples a 1 bit word 2.8 million times. DVD-A uses PCM or Pule Code Modulation sampling (generally) a 24bit word 96 thousand times or 128 thousand times.

In Language terms:

They are both derivitives of Latin. One is Italian the other is American English. They don't really sound at all the same. They both are used to communicate.

There are "pureists" that like the sound of DSD better than PCM. Some say PCM at igher bit and sample rates still has a bit of "harshness" and "less of an analog" sound than does its DSD counterpart. Therefore, a combi player that converts the DSD to PCM before it becomes analog "might" make the sound "more harsh", if you believe that.

I am not saying I do or don't. Just illustrating an argument for you.

You may not be able to tell a difference. That is why you have to listen and decide what you like for yourself.

I slightly prefer the sound of SACD to DVD-A. Both are improvements to CD in my opinion.

Others will say it is all in the mastering. Everyone has a different opinion.

Have fun listening and chosing!

14. chrischross

chrischross New Member

There are some deals on DVD-A equipment, especially if the dealer doesn't know what DVD-A is. I have a dealer that is a close-out retailer for Costco stuff, and they have quite a few JVC DVD-A players. Not sure if they're the greatest, but for $130, pretty hard to go wrong.

15. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

No, not yet anyway. There may be a "digital link" for both sometime soon.

I think think most will agree, you hook to your reciever via analog outs into a channel of your receiver with an analog bypass.

If you don;t know what an analg bypass is.. let me know.

We'll get it explained for you.

16. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I can not delete, sorry.

17. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Yes, but not all. And another thing is I believe more DVD based systems are multi-channel whereas SACD might tend to be stuffed into two-channel systems (which could be a good thing). I think most multi-channel systems out there tend to be low/mid-fi home theatre equipment and there is a better chance that some two-channel systems are better and/or owned by an audiophile type.
    But all SACD industry must do is repeat the CREST debacle a couple more times.
    I for one am taking a step back.

18. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Great explanations, Isupro. Since this question is sort of on-topic...

Is there a difference in resolution between DVD-A and dts? I have seen many discs on the shelves that contain both formats. Has anyone done a comparison to see if there's an audible difference between the two?

19. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Another Great question...

DTS is similar to Dolby Digital. It is a 5.1 surround format. DVD-A, generealy, comes in both DD and DTS so that if your tuner doesn't do one, it will probably do the other.

Most of us ere prefer DTS for sourround music. There is a bit more bandwidth in DTS. The encoding scheme in DD compresses it a bit too much for most of our taste's.

You get into a whole different ball game when it comes to Sourround Music. Reciver capabilities.. analog bypass, types of DSP settings. Its a whole different world.

20. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Just have two systems

Not kidding. This is what I did. I wanted to break my stereo off of the surround receiver. After messing with it I finally decided to build a second system. That way I don't have to kill the effects and bypass the sub for stereo. My surround system will play the DVD-A's just fine. The CD player in my stereo (Arcam FMJ) plays HDCD and SACD.

There are a lot of other advantages to having two systems. They should both last longer and you can compare back and forth. Still it's expensive, takes up a lot of space and you have twice as much chance of stuff getting outdated but we are always tweaking anyway, right?

Cheers!
    Norm

21. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Thanks Bill. I don't have a DVD-A player, only SACD. So, if I buy the dts encoded DVD-As, and use my pre/pro to decode via digital out, then I am getting as good or better resolution of DVD-A encoded discs/players?

22. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

That would depend on the bit and sampling rates of the Pre/Reciever that is decoding the DVD-A and sourrond info.

I let the player decode it and used analog inputs.

Others may have a better idea.. like two systems... eh, Norm?

There are several ways to go about it.

enjoy piecing it all together.

23. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Re: The present & future of hi-res

I think both formats are going to be here to stay.Ialso think for the money SONY does SACD best.Why fool around with something that converts to PCM first.We are audiophiles,aren't we?So IMO get the one that has the music you like most and get the other one later.

24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Henry is right, it's all about the music.

25. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Well, more and more, we are seeing DSD being converted to PCM in the mid priced players. I expect this trend to continue as most people will buy combo players to hedge their bets.

I have recently purchased a Denon 1803 which has the 5 analog inputs for SACd and DVd-A, four Paradigm speakers (they sound great) and will soon buy a combo DVd-A / SACd player. Right now I have a high end DVD-V player (Phillips 414) with HDCD playback and it sounds amazingly good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.