The remix is so good I can’t listen to the original anymore. Any examples?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Aqualung, Wilson remix.

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

The only examples that come to mind for me are albums that got a completely different treatment, like the more recent stereo remixes of Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile and Wild Honey, though of course we're not talking about an apples to apples comparison with the mono. I also love Wilson's 5.1 mixes, but that's a whole different animal as well. If he was just doing stereo remixes, I probably wouldn't be as interested.

3. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

What about albums where the released version WAS the remix, and only years later do you get to hear the first mix? (examples: Butch Vig's original mix of Nirvana's "Nevermind" vs the released Andy Wallace remix; or the Delaney Bramlett mix of Eric Clapton's first solo album over the released remix).

Personally, hearing the original Butch Vig mix of "Nevermind" was like hearing the album for tge first time, all over again. When you A/B them, the Vig mix sounds meatier and more organic, while the Wallace remix is much more plastic and suffers from a severe midrange scoop.

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Original cd or vinyl?

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

That was my first impression as well.

My second impression: Bring back the fog.

6. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

A meatier version of Nevermind? You got my attention with that one. Where can I listen to it?

7. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Understand the Moody Blues are releasing the original mix of Days of Futur Pass soon. This mix has not been available since 1972? Should be very interesting comparing this to the mix more well known

bhazen likes this.
  8. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

I have quite a few examples where I much prefer the remixes over the originals:
    - Steven Wilson's Jethro Tull/XTC remixes.
    - Peter Mew's stereo remix of Donovan's Sunshine Superman, which I think is a huge improvement over the original mono mix.
    - Ron Furmanek's remixes - the ones I've heard are the remixes he did for The Ad-Libs, Bob Lind, Del Shannon (the remixed version of Home and Away that was included on The Liberty Years was a particular improvement), Herman's Hermits, Gary Lewis & the Playboys and the Red Bird Girls compilation.
    - The Yellow Submarine Songtrack remixes. Nowhere Man in particular was a big improvement over the original mix.
    - The various Monkees remixes, which I think have improved over the years. One example would be with Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow); the original mix is quite muddy and distorted, but it's been remixed several times over the years and each time the sound quality has improved, especially since they've been able to sync up the earlier stages with the final overdubs.
    - I know I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the 20th anniversary remix of Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. However, for the title track I prefer the Crossroads remix from a few years earlier. I also prefer the Crossroads remixes of the single version of Tell the Truth and Roll It Over.
    - The Bee Gees remixes from Tales from the Brothers Gibb boxset. One particular improvement was the remix of World; because of the way the song had been recorded, the original mix is practically mono except for the orchestra right at the end. For the remix, they were able to sync up the earlier stages of the recording with the final overdubs to create a full stereo mix of the song.
    - Soundtrack label Intrada remix their releases if they can get hold of the multitracks, with improved results each time that I've heard. A recent example would be their 3CD edition of Maurice Jarre's Shōgun soundtrack. Now they include the entire score in pristine remixed form on this particular reissue, but they also included a remixed version of the original album's tracklisting on the third disc (the original soundtrack album included some alternate takes and was edited down - it was trying to condense several hours of music onto a single LP after all). The original album has a rather pinched sound to it, whereas the orchestra on the remix sounds much larger and grander in comparison.

There are some other remixes that I prefer but I still listen to the originals on occasion (e.g. Pet Sounds) so I'm not really including them here.

9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I had a second(or third) printing of the vinyl, and a first printing of the CD.

10. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

They were released as part of the Nevermind 20th anniversary box set, on a disk called "The Devonshire Mixes". But 2 of them had been previously issued on the "With The Lights Out" box set, labeled as "Butch Vig mix"es

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Forgot this one, because I tend to think of it as the mix; it's the only CD mix (until the 50th Anniversary set comes out), and when I got the CD I hadn't heard the original LP in decades. I heard the original again when I bought a used Deram LP awhile back, Boy Howdy was that a murky, dark mess!

ggggreenisaac and dkmonroe like this.
  12. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

+1.

13. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

It's only available on vinyl in the "Five Years Box" Box.

David Bowie - Five Years 1969 - 1973

14. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Also, Topographic. Or, maybe it was just me digging listening to it again after so many years.

15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

16. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Two mixes I prefer over the standard:
    1. The alternate mix of Jimi's "Axis: Bold As Love" that snuck out on the original West German CD. I'm unclear as to its provenance, and weather it came first but was released by accident later, or what. But I find that it enhances the psychedelic vibe of the album significantly.
    2. The original Japanese CD of Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska", which bears an alternate mix originally prepared for promotional purposes before being rejected by Springsteen and Landau. A few of the songs have been spat up a half step, which gives them a fair amount more energy. And the production makes Nebraska feel a little more inviting, and less stark. Some would call this heresy, as the starkness was part of Springsteen's intent, but I find the alternate mix easier to get into.

17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The first ESD cd with the TiL tracks
    was terrible! the Bomba was a vast
    improvement!

18. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I believe the reason some tracks run slow on the non-Japanese versions is that the original tape machine didn't run at the correct speed. The faster Japanese mix is more faithful to the actual speed/pitch. I can see why the slower speed may have been preferred to suit the stark atmosphere of the album though.

19. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Some eBay dealers opened the boxes and sold the records separateley.

20. ReggieNJ

ReggieNJ Forum Resident

Rush - Vapor Trails and the 50th anniversary Sgt Pepper. Both are vast improvements.

21. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Senser - Age of Panic (Git-O-Rama mix), more powerful than the album version from the album Stacked Up

22. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

First two I thought of when I saw this thread.

ebro likes this.
  23. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

The Left Banke "Storm Coming" disc just slays the 2 original lp's

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You're right, John Cage's "4:33" never sounded so vibrant. You can almost hear the "air" in-between the instruments that aren't there...

ARK, danasgoodstuff, pantofis and 7 others like this.
  25. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Which version of Mind Games are you referring to?
    The MFSL cd?

Tyler Chastain likes this.