The remix is so good I can’t listen to the original anymore. Any examples?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Nov 19, 2017.

1. peteham

peteham Senior Member

The much hated Nick Davis Genesis mixes got me to love Nursery Cryme.

ARK, pantofis, mikedifr0923 and 2 others like this.
  2. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

John Lennon - Rock And Roll

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

CTA was never remixed.

ARK likes this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

In terms of Lennon, yes, the POB album as remixed by Peter Cobbin has totally overtaken my listening of the original Spector mix.

5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Beatles '87 Help! remix: the film songs, side 1, sound great. Sound two is a bit shrilly, IMO.

6. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I know The POP album is usually included along with Mind Games as ones where the remix is much better, but I have faults with both of those remixes. First, for POB I didn't have any problems with the original mix to begin with. It helped maybe that I had the original UK CD (the US was No_noised and sounds not nearly as good as the UK). Also, my favorite "mixing" moment on the album - namely where the vocals explode into wide stereo on the bridge of 'Isloation' was not re-created, and so the double-tracked vocals stayed dead center for the bridge on the remix. Grrrr. As for Mind Games, I don't like how once again, 'Meat City' was faded early (like the original US/UK CDs). Also, the remix for that song lacks the power of the original mix. Don't get me wrong, I do like much of the Mind Games remix, but it wasn't the across-the-board success that Rock And Roll was.

progrocker, Carlox, D.B. and 2 others like this.
  7. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

While most of Steven Wilson's remixes have been highly regarded, I have also taken to the following...

- The Pineapple Thief - the entire Cyclops back catalogue. Also worth noting that the debut album Abducted at Birth (thus retiring the irrelevant Abducting the Unicorn title) has finally been released as of a couple weeks ago.
    - Gazpacho - Night & Tick Tock. Hope the first 3 albums get remixed as well.
    - Ayreon - Actual Fantasy [Revisited]
    - Opeth - Deliverance & Damnation
    - Deep Purple - Come Taste the Band [The Kevin Shirley Remixes]

bobloblaw and Tony-A like this.
  8. Ditto on every single one of the Steven Wilson remixes. They sound like the original mix enough, yet clearer in all cases.

Ditto on the John Lennon remixes, for the above reasons.

With a fee one-offs here and there, that seems to be the consensus.

Oh, and Pet Sounds in stereo. The mono sounds so congested.

D.B. and Shaddam IV like this.
  9. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

The remix of Type O Negative’s “Slow, Deep And Hard” is so infinitely better than the original mix, that going back to listen to the original album is virtually impossible.

10. It's my preferred version but I still have the original mix as well. Depends on my mood.

11. I think Skylarking sounds the least like the original mix.

12. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

what is your preferred version of "temptation" ? i only have the "substance"-version, and like it, but i haven't compared it yet... i think new order is a special category...

Khaki F likes this.
  13. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

The Substance version is the definitive one IMO. So gorgeous!

14. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

15. putney_swope

putney_swope Forum Resident

I feel like the Substance version is a bit too dated sounding compared to the originals, oddly enough. The synth sound on the first version is just the best, plus if you play the 7” and then the 12” back to back, it’s really a single 15ish minute track.

D.B. likes this.
  16. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I've had all versions, and to me, none of the others handle the "Bolts from above..." crescendo nearly as well.

Maurice likes this.
  17. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

“Mind Games” — John Lennon
    “Rock ‘n Roll — John Lennon
    ... but my all-time favorite remix album has to be a John Denver greatest-hits compilation, “A Song’s Best Friend,” in which almost every track mops the floor with the original mix. The big difference is the improved clarity and a much better defined bass. Songs that I never cared for before because they sounded so weak and anemic — such as “Back Home Again” — come alive on this compilation.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I prefer the original mixes I'm more familiar with them. I have a couple of SW remixes. Fine as a curio, usually sits on the shelve.

19. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I heard Tori Amos Crucify remix from the EP before hearing the album version on Little Earthquakes.
    The album version sounded like it was missing something. Still prefer the remix.

20. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Too many to list them.

ARK and Shaddam IV like this.
  21. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can one still buy the remixes?

bhazen likes this.
  22. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

I'm talking about the 2002 remix.

I remember how disappointed I was when the Signature Box with the latest remasters was released and I heard that same ole muddy sound again.

All Lennon remixes are a must have IMO.

23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I don't know if they're still in-print, but I would suppose they still show up in used CD shops.

Lost In The Flood and bherbert like this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Has the Beatles White Album been remixed yet? Remastered ?

25. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hopefully Giles Martin and Sam Okell are busy working on it secretly :)