The Replacements Official Reunion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hitmanhart408, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

The Replacements have reunited. No, really.

Tonight, the band confirmed plans to perform at Riot Fest Chicago, along with offshoots in Toronto and Denver. These three shows will mark the band’s first live performances since their infamous July 4, 1991 set at the Taste of Chicago, which has since been dubbed, “It Ain’t Over ‘Til the Fat Roadie Plays”. To add more credence to the festival’s get, Westerberg himself hasn’t performed live since 2007. #whoa

Earlier this year, the three surviving members Westerberg, Stinson, and drummer Chris Mars released the Songs for Slim EP for ailing former guitarist Slim Dunlap, who suffered a stroke last year. At the time of its release, Westerberg hinted of touring to Rolling Stone, stating:

Well, for the first 10 minutes, I thought, “Yeah! I’m ready.” After a couple of hours, it was like, “Uchhh, man, you’ve got to be kidding.” (Laughs) It’s possible. I’m closer to it now than I was two years ago, let’s say that.”

The reunion shows will feature Westerberg and Stinson, backed by a lineup to be announced shortly. Riot Fest Toronto takes place August 24th-25th, followed by Riot Festival Chicago from September 13th-15th, and Riot Fest Denver from September 21st-22nd.

The news comes just hours after the festival’s Twitter account teased the announcement in a since-deleted tweet that read, “holy. [expletive]. We’re getting the band back together. #riotfest,” confirming weeks of rumors that spread online following the festival’s initial announcement which featured a redacted third headliner.

Now that it’s a reality, there’s no better time for this: The Replacements Hootenany Drinking Game. Excuse me, while I go drink and let my heart explode, folks.

2. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Good news!

3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Hope they come to New York

4. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....can you tell I'm excited?

5. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

two members with others filling in is not the band....but the name on the marquee is all that matters.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It may not really be the Replacements, but if nothing else a Westerberg show featuring Tommy Stinson is gonna be way better than one without him (and probably have a much cooler setlist). I hope there's more dates. I imagine that will depend on how much they enjoy (or don't enjoy) these three shows.

BTW, if Paul and Tommy are the Mats, then technically this isn't their first show since 1991, since the two of them played a show in LA for the premiere of Open Season in 2006.

7. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Replacements ... Guided By Voices ... Dinosaur Jr. ... Iggy and the Stooges ... Bob Mould ...

I don't care how watered down the Mats reunion might seem, that is one helluva lineup. :cool:

Jeff

8. butchcooper

butchcooper Forum Resident

Songs for Slim was not really a reunion. Mars only appears on one track and it doesn't sound like he was really in to it.

From POPMATTERS.COM. ... this “reunion” is a tenuous one at best: drummer Chris Mars only appears on one track, while Paul Westerberg and bassist Tommy Stinson are backed by a loose band (featuring Kevin Bowe on guitar and Peter Anderson on drums) on the remaining four songs. The remaining absence is the man in the title of the EP, Slim Dunlap, who unfortunately suffered a stroke in 2012. Despite the seriousness of the cause for which it’s intended to benefit, little about Songs For Slim is especially somber or sad. It’s more of a celebration of one man’s music from his friends, as homey and unprofessional as you can get. Considering we’re talking about The Replacements, that is quite an accomplishment.

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I disagree. I really like Mars' contribution to the EP. Being a one-man-band effort, it lacks a sense of spontaneity, but it's a well-done recording.

Mars reportedly didn't participate in the tracks with Westerberg and Stinson because he doesn't play the drums a lot anymore and didn't feel like his skills were up to playing with other musicians.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  10. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

If that is the case then Mars should play guitar with Paul and Tommy. Then they would need a new drummer, but at least 3 members of the Replacements would be there. Oh well, I hope the reunion goes well and they do more work together.:wave:

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think the idea is that he doesn't feel his musical skills in general are up to playing with other musicians. He only feels comfortable making music by himself in the privacy of his home studio. And he most definitely has no desire to perform live.

Lack of Chris Mars definitely takes away a big chunk of the Mats' unique sound. On that last 1991 tour something was definitely missing. On the other hand, as I said above, seeing Paul and Tommy together is way better than seeing them separately. If using the Mats name garners them more attention and cash, they deserve it.

wayne66 likes this.
  12. bob338

bob338 Forum Resident

No Bob Stinson = No Replacements.

sberger, bradman and Chris M like this.
  13. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

That makes sense. I wonder if Kevin Bowe and Peter Anderson who played on the new songs for Slim will be in the band. It has not been mentioned who the other guitar player and drummer are going to be yet. As long as they put on a good show and make people happy, then everything should be cool. They do deserve some success.

levi likes this.
  14. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Of course it's not them, but Paul and Tommy are good enough for me. Bob is gone and Slim was 85 when he joined. That only leaves Chris Mars, who, you know, played the drums and hasn't in a long, long time. The fact that Paul wants to play anywhere is good news.

ShawnX and levi like this.
  15. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Well, I saw the Replacements in 1991, one of the last shows, and it was rock 'n roll heaven. Tommy and Paul can pull this off, and I hope they do more than that.

JoeRockhead and Bruce like this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Were you at the Fox Theater show, George? So was I. I discovered the band late and that was the only time I ever saw them, unfortunately. It was a really great show, but based on the tapes I've heard they were much better with Chris and even still better with Bob.

17. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I'm just happy that Westerberg is performing again, in whatever guise! Hoping they cross the pond for a show or two.

18. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I'd fly halfway across the world for this.

In fact I'll have to fly halfway across the world if I want to see this. :laugh:

19. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Do you have a link please ?

20. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

HUZZAH! Better than nothing. I'm there!

21. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Honestly, at this point for me, and chance to have Paul and Tommy together and hear all of those great, great songs is OK with me.

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This is only incrementally not just another Paul Westerberg tour, and closer to that than a return of The Replacements. That said, since it's billed as The Replacements, I guess that means he'll (they'll) stick to mostly/only 'Mats songs. Bad news for Grandpa Boy fans, but good news for the rest.

23. Teek

Teek Forum Resident

As much as I’d prefer for The Replacements not to be exhumed for pseudo-reunion shows, this news is still very exciting for these reasons:

Paul and Tommy (and whoever else) playing those songs is cause for celebration, I don’t care what they call the band. But calling them The Replacements makes sense to me.

Any Westerberg activity is good news.

I have not seen Westerberg play since 2005. I’m guessing he can still bring it. Really hoping for a New York or Philly show.

Kids can see what all the fuss was about.

Paul and Tommy can get paid.

levi and serge like this.
  24. They should've gone with their original name and toured as the Impediments. :)

Anyway: I agree with those who think the Replacements name should've been left alone - it just smacks too much of a cynical attempted cash grab by men far removed from the circumstances that made the original band what it was - but it'll be cool to see Tommy and Paul on the same stage again.

25. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Bob is dead and wasn't with the band for their last three albums. Slim is out of commission and Chris probably isn't interested. If Chris is interested, but doesn't have the chops after not playing a gig in over 20-years, would THAT really be a better version of the Replacements? I don't think so.

To me if Westerberg and Tommy are in the front line with a good friend/solid drummer and maybe a lead guitarist in tow, that's cool. Not that I'm going to pay money to stand out in the blistering sun or the pouring rain to hear them, but I'm cool with it. Chances are they'll be 1000% more professional than what most fans were treated to back in the day. They may actually play Replacements songs at these upcoming shows. Imagine that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.