The Replacements on Fallon tonight (9/9/14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by j4yheindeo, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident Thread Starter

DVR alert, right? :agree:

Can anyone educate me?

Who are they playing with now? (Who is Bob/Slim's replacement?)

Gaslight, aseriesofsneaks and keef00 like this.
  2. Holy crap, that's great news. Will this be their first NBC appearance since they got booted off SNL? Can't answer your question but saw them at Riotfest here on Toronto last summer. Possibly the same band ? Thanks for the heads up on the show tonight.

3. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

And did anyone notice that he other guest tonight is Keith Richards? Wonder if Jimmy will try to engineer a Keith appearance with the 'Mats?

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  4. j4yheindeo

You're welcome; that is great news, right?

AND first guest is someone else we might know ... musician Keith Richards ...

EDIT: keef00 beat me to it !

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  5. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Here's the teaser video on YouTube for tonight's appearance...

Gaslight likes this.
  6. j4yheindeo

I guess I haven't seen that clip from "back in the day" ... or memory is failing ...

Thanks for posting ~!

7. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

vonwegen likes this.
  8. j4yheindeo

Found an answer from an old thread: Dave Minehan (sp?) from the Neighborhoods on guitar

Thanks to nodeerforamonth ... post 23 from "The Replacements @ RIOT ... who's goin?" thread ...

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  9. All these years later and it's still not clear to me what the band supposedly did to get banned from SNL - certainly I don't see anything in those clips that gives it away.

10. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

From what I understand it's not really the live performance but more the room service bills at the hotel (Bob's alone was allegedly north of 10k) and the damage backstage.

vonwegen, nodeerforamonth and JL6161 like this.
  11. That seems most reasonable - I'd heard that, but I'd also heard that they'd supposedly swore on camera, although I sure don't see any evidence of that. Too bad there's not a definitive bio of the band out there that could finally put all these things straight. There was supposed to be a such a book published round about now, but I don't know if it's still going ahead or what...

12. Avenging Robot

There's All Over But the Shouting which is not great to be sure. Thankfully it's largely an oral history as the writer is one of the worst published writers I've ever come across.

Or you can watch Color Me Obsessed and watch some people compete for who was the biggest loser in high school and pretended that the Replacements were their secret friends.

Quite the winning combination thus far, eh?

manicpopthrill and AlienRendel like this.
  13. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

no, there was reference to another one, an actual narrative/biography sort of thing.

rough boys? trouble boys? blanking on the title, as there was no concrete release mentioned at the time. still, sounded promising.

love them 'mats, but i don't think i could have HANDLED them being my secret friends.

smitquest

14. Indeed - colour me thrilled. I have the book - which is weak even as an oral history - and have no plans to watch the latter. Accordingly I was looking forward to the proper book that was supposed to be coming out, but it seems to have been cancelled as a couple of quick Google searches haven't turned up anything...

EDIT, re the above post: Trouble Boys! Yeah, that's it. And it seems that it won't be coming out for another year, if it comes out at all? geez! Anyway, here's the proposed cover:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  15. Avenging Robot

Hmm, the book cover is complete but the book won't be ready for almost a year, glad they have their priorities in order.:sigh:

16. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

And Keith is promoting a CHILDREN'S BOOK he wrote....?

17. Avenging Robot

Brian Goes to the Pharmacist

18. j4yheindeo

OMG ... how young they look, especially Tommy ... was he of driving age in that pic? LOL

19. stereoink

stereoink Forum Resident

Thinking Tommy was 13/14ish when the band started....

20. stereoink

stereoink Forum Resident

Their manager, Peter Jesperson, had to sign on as his legal guardian, so the guys could tour. He'd have to wait out in the van until show time, as he was not allowed into most of the clubs...

21. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Paul supposedly says "c'mon f***er" to Bob right before the solo but I'm not sure if he really does. That's a very Paul thing to say but I don't quite hear it.

22. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Paul was on SNL in '93(with Freese and Minehan) and Tommy was on Letterman with Bash and Pop so they've already "returned to 30 Rock" long ago.

23. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

There's a great section on the 'mats in Michael Azerrad's book, Our Band could be Your Life. But it just runs up until they get signed by a major. Great book though (and I'm sure you've all read it!).

athensdrums, JoeRockhead and mdm08033 like this.
  24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Some Conan appearances as well?

The Replacements gig I saw at Bumbershoot Seattle about a week ago was simply incredible. Lots of notable people in audience(half of REM 10 feet behind me) as well as there's only 14 reunion shows then they are done(?).

Stone Turntable likes this.
  25. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

Saw them at Shaky Knees in ATL. They were great. Billy Armstrong played the whole set with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.