The Revenant (2015)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mikeyt, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

DiCaprio and Hardy were both tremendous. Hardy has impressed me more and more with his work. The cinematography was brilliant. I would imagine this was overpowering on the big screen.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

absolutely loved every minute of this movie...well done!

3. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Apparently the 4K UHD Blu-ray looks absolutely incredible >>>

"Actually, when all’s said and done this sense of realism is what makes the Ultra HD Blu-ray of The Revenant so special. It turns the image from a picture you’re watching on a television into a real world you’re watching through a window."

"Once you’ve seen The Revenant played from Ultra HD Blu-ray on a good quality HDR/4K TV pretty much everything else just looks soul-sappingly drab and mushy by comparison."

"the advantages over the Blu-ray version of the film are even more defined. In fact, the difference is so night and day that going back to non-HDR material after watching The Revenant in HDR feels almost depressing."

[​IMG]

'The Revenant' Ultra HD Blu-ray Review: A Masterpiece In Every Way »

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

actually I was blown away by the Bluray...that will suffice.

turnersmemo and rjp like this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i agree, the blu-ray was gorgeous.

6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

What the...is it out on BD already?

7. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

it was released in the US 3 months before Europe

PH416156 likes this.
  8. So - Does the 4K UHD blu-ray look better than the blu-ray on a standard blu-ray player? Or do you need a 4K TV to see the difference?

9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I don't know about the rest of Europe, but in my country it premiered on 01/16/2016, just 3 weeks after the US release :)

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

I see
    In France it was end of february

11. Ashley Pomeroy

Ashley Pomeroy Forum Resident

Here in the UK it was released on Friday 15th January:

[​IMG]

I saw it on the Sunday and posted a review the next day, which is by far the best review of The Revenant that I have written on the internet. I'll quote some of it because I'm a funny guy, which is why I'm going to kill myself last.

Everybody involved in the production earned the heck out of their payslip. I learn that twenty-nine members of the production crew were killed during the lengthy shoot, which at one time became stranded from civilisation for so long that the wardrobe staff ate each other. When Iñárritu was confronted during promotional interviews he was unapologetic. "I did not say that actors should be treated like cattle", he told the interviewer. "I actually said that actors should be eaten, full stop". When pressed, he gestured to a small wooden figure of a man. There was a hole burned through it, all the way through, where the heart would be.

During one infamous incident Iñárritu had the entire catering crew put to death because the head chef's mobile phone went off. It wasn't even during a scene; Iñárritu forbade anyone from carrying modern technology, with the exception of the 65mm digital Arriflex cameras with which the film was shot. The catering crew were blindfolded and tied to trees. The wind did the rest. Now their dessicated corpses are a warning to others.

Midway through production the crew developed a primitive new religion with Iñárritu as the creator/mother, the camera - the ata - as the continuum of life, and DiCaprio as a living representation of the human spirit. They regularly clothed him in cloth woven from the bark of the mulberry tree. The female members of the production staff were allowed to bathe his feet. This pleased him.
    UNQUOTE

googlymoogly, alanb and Gumboo like this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

you'll need the 4K TV and 4K Blu-Ray player to get the full effect

13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Wonder what panel size this reviewer has? 65"? 70"? Never going to deliver the front projection experience even versus standard HD. Additionally, are these reviews based on pro calibrated panels? Finally, the 4K panels have to scale the 1080P blu-ray and this scaling is far from perfect. Wonder if these folks watched the standard HD on a 1080P panel? Doubt it.

Once again, consumers are being hammered with confusing techno acronyms and that trip to Best Buy is simply going to be all the more confusing.

For the record, I'll wager a great deal that no one pushing 4K will be able to deny that 2K projection at 3 or 4 times the screen area doesn't deliver an actual movie experience.

Anyhow, The Revenant is photographed with very high end digital cameras. Awesome, but not 70mm film awesome.

Chazro likes this.
  14. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

>>>

[​IMG]

15. He would have, and so would have several others. They needed to film some that differently to make the story both more gripping and believable. I think they needed to adhere to a higher standard when making something "based on a true story."

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Blu Ray is stunning I can only imagine what the 4K is like. There won't be another film like this for years to come.
    What screens are you all watching this film on ?

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Saw this just now. Pretty brutal. Pretty soon I was thinking the poor guy must be saying to himself :

"Thank God I made it." ..."Indians??...damnitt..!"

...."Great..just great..rapids..!"....

"Ok I made it. Maybe I can wait here until the wolves leave and cook the remains of that buffalo carcas".....

"wtf...I reallly gotta eat this liver..or..whatever it is raw???...gross." ...

"Thank God the indian guy didnt kill me"....

"Great!!! just great...MORE india .....wtf.!!! A cliff??..!!! Heeelllllpp.!!!!"....*BAM!*

*sticks his head out of the dead horse body* "Im in a dead horse. Im living in a dead horse. Im in a dead horse. Im actually in a dead horse body...help..me"

"Dude...dude..! Did you just bite my frickin ear off...?? Whats wrong with you?? Did you not see my back and the four inch deep gashes from a GRIZZLY...??? Hellloooo?!?!"..

"some...body...please....just..shoot me in the head.."

My favorite part was when the wacky indian guy started sticking his tongue out tasting snowflakes. And then they both start laughing and get all pyote.

turnersmemo, Gumboo and alexpop like this.
  18. alexpop

100 things you learnt, huh?

:)

smilin ed and Ghostworld like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

This movie would make a man called horse wince.

Gumboo likes this.
  20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

See profile. Screen material is Stewart ST-100.

alexpop likes this.
  21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Excellent film.... one of the best of 2015. :righton:

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

No, according to the Academy that would have been the extremely mediocre "Spotlight."

23. alexpop

Philips 4K 55" tv is getting got a good review in whathifi shoot-out with 2 other TVs £500 U.K. looks to be a great deal for a 4k tv.

Also, same issue a 4K Panasonic blu ray player had a good price/spec as well.

Still not enough 4K media.
    Must admit the artwork for the 4K discs look much better than blu rays ....
    very stylish.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Not sure why so many people here had trouble with Tom Hardy's dialogue.... I understood every word of it, crystal clear.

I also didn't have the "time frame" issues that a few people have mentioned.... the movie felt like it took place over the course of several weeks, as it was supposed to.

DHamilton likes this.
  25. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

Couldn't understand Hardy's dialogue. I absolutely hate it when I have to strain to understand the words...and fail. A big minus from me. Yes, it was visually stunning but I just got fed up of watching Di Caprio overcome seemingly impossible situations. Agree with the "Super Man" comparisions from others in this thread. Could have been cut by at least twenty minutes. Very disappointing considering all the rave reviews. Guess it's just me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.