The Robin Trower Album-by-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I read a website with a guy who reviewed Trower's classic albums. All he listened for was guitar solos, and hated funk music. I don't think some people get it. Robin Trower was a blues trio that leaned R&B. It wasn't all about Robin or his guitar, it was about the music and the songs.

2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Trower's guitar playing is stupendous, but frankly, his band wouldn't have been so popular without Dewar's contribution. Both individuals were very important parts of the mix, and also as you say, without good song writing they also would have been pretty much nowhere. There are plenty of albums with great blues-based guitar playing on them, it's sort of like a modern folk music that way. And they may sell to fans and guitar aficionados, but don't necessarily get really high sales figures with the public. That's not to take away anything from Robin's technique, which was very well described by the Fripp quote posted earlier.

3. I love how the Cover motif is continued.

This is an another excellent set, very tasteful and heavy.

I find I listen to everything but 'Bridge' because of the overexposure.

4. Alright! :edthumbs:

I'm in the minority but "For Earth Below" is my favorite Robin Trower studio album.

IMO, it is a bit lighter, more funky, less heavy in overall feel and more positive in lyrical content than "Bridge Of Sighs"
    and that works to its advantage and my oh my does it rock solid.

"Shame The Devil"
    with its 'let loose and do it' proclamation and killer groove.
    "It's Only Money" intensely chilled psych blues with a simple yet profound lyric and a searing solo from Robin to end it.
    "Confessin' Midnight" a rocking wah stomper with Dewar exploring the 'they only come out at night factor'.
    A fun tune for Isidore and a ripping wah drenched solo towards the end of the piece.
    "Fine Day" A positive out look of rebirth with each new day with a loved one.
    For me, the music on this track is the most generic on the album but I do enjoy its positive lyrical attitude.

"Alethea" is one funky slice of R&B. Reg seems busier and mixed much louder on this album.
    Another positive lyric approach 'what seems so bad now, could easily change for the better'.
    "A Tale Untold" A percussive based track. Beautiful moment when everything slows right down at the end for an emotive guitar solo.
    "Gonna Be More Suspicious" A short intense up-tempo rock blues with a 'been burned one too many times to get fooled again' attitude.
    "For Earth Below" Gorgeous dreamy ethereal quintessential! One of my favorite songs by this trio. The six minutes seem like three.
    Stripped down to essentials by everyone. Impassioned vocal from Dewar and notes bubbling and dripping off the fret board from Trower.

Did I mention I :love: this album? :laugh:

5. Toka

Toka Active Member

I'm right there with you buddy. :thumbsup:

It is my favorite as well. I love Robin's tone here. As an album it holds my interest front-to-back more than the prior two...though they are all honestly very close in overall awesomeness. I'm a bit burned out on BoS (my own fault) so FEB is my go-to album now.

6. :thumbsup: :wave:

7. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Robin Trower, R&B ?

That's a new one....

8. Well there is some funky rhythms and blues goin' on, Trower style! :laugh:

9. Grant

It's a stretch to some, but I hear the elements. You will hear it much clearer in the upcoming "Caravan To Midnight" that was produced by Don Davis, better known as Johnnie Taylor's longtime producer.

10. 1961-1966 Trower played in Paramounts, British R&B hearlded by the Stones at the time.

Dewars' vocals are pure soul/r&b

'City Dreams' and 'Caravan' are seriously devoted to funk/r&b

And let's forget Sly Stones' drummer Bill Lordan

11. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

Apologies for coming in late but I've just returned from holiday. Great to see a thread devoted to Robin Trower and nice to see so many good comments about the music. I got into Trower via BOS. I love the title track and have always wondered what Trower was saying at the coda where his voice is mixed beneath the howling wind and guitar riff (I think I read somewhere that he was reading from a science fiction book). I also love the way BOS segues into "In This Place" - and the way the wah-wah sound on this track rolls from one speaker to the other. However, I was disappointed with FEB, although I love Bill Lorden's playing.

12. Thanks for quietly pointing out that Bill Lordan was the drummer on FOB not Reg Isidore.
    He is a great player and I botched that up big time in my FOB review! :hide: :shrug: :laugh:

13. Grant

Whom, in my opinion, is better than Isadore.

14. Since I hauled my Trower vinyl to work today to give it listening priority, I thought it would be fun to take a picture.
    Looks like I'm missing "Beyond the Mist" 1985 and "In the Line of Fire" 1990 to complete the '73 to '90 LP period.
    I guess that is what the two spaces at the bottom are for! :winkgrin:

Attached Files:

15. Grant

Let's not jump too far ahead!

Now, on to:

Long Misty Days - 1976

1. Same Rain Falls
    2. Long Misty Days
    3. Hold Me
    4. Caledonia
    5. Pride
    6. Sailing
    7. S.M.O.
    8. I Can't Live Without You
    9. Messin The Blues

This album I like (and the cover too!). It's a very strong album with some of my all-time favorites. "Caledonia" smokes, and is a concert favorite. "Pride" seems to come out of left field starting side two, but it's a fine blues number. "Messin' The Blues", along with "Pride" seem to suggest he wanted a shift towards a more traditional type blues.

Attached Files:

16. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

One of my favorites - right behind BOS. I love Caledonia, Pride, Same Rain Falls, and Messin' the Blues.

17. Grant

You want Trower's guitar? This album's full of it!

18. I love the slow churn of the title track.

19. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Nice collection! Mine is almost the same as yours, except I don't have Take What You Need on vinyl. (I have it on pre-recorded cassette - could never find it on vinyl.)

I also have the CD of Beyond The Mist, which I was fortunate enough to snap up as soon as it was released, as it goes for a lot on ebay these days.

20. boneywhitefoot

boneywhitefoot Member

his dvd rocks ,he has lost none of his passion

21. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

I love this album, it's another favorite right alongside the 1st 3. It seems more mainstream than For Earth Below, with songs like "Same Rain Falls", "Sailing", and "Caledonia".

The Title track is one of my favorite of all his songs, so expressive. Has anyone heard the cover version by Michael Schenker and Davey Pattison? It's pretty cool too but I like Trower's better.

22. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

LMD is probably my most favourite Trower album and that includes the cover! I love the: "a drowning man don't get no wetter" line on "Same Rain Falls," and "Caledonia" is simply an exciting track to listen to, with its driving chugga-chugga guitar riff and Lordan's machine gun drumming and flurry of cymbal smashes. And then there's Dewar's achingly beautiful vocals on "I Can't Live Without You." Everyone seems to be playing with a smile on their face on "Messin' The Blues." I love the mix and the overall feel of the album. I also note that Geoff Emerick co-produced this one with Trower!

23. Toka

Toka Active Member

I enjoy LMD but taken as a whole it never hit me like the first few did...the title track, however, is awesome. Fantastic tone as always, and Jimmy does his magic as well. It would be on any Trower comp. I would make, for sure.

24. Grant

That's Isadore on the drums. Lordan didn't join until the 80s, when Trower teamed up with Jack Bruce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.