The Robin Trower Album-by-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

All I know is that I have it on my Chrysalis 80s vinyl pressing. I have it right here.

2. Grant

I'll check the cat.#. I could be wrong about it being a reissue. CRS 1215.

The record was originally released in 1980, so it's still possible it got the reissue treatment not too long afterward, especially singe they reissued the whole Chrysalis Robin Trower collection at that point. Most of my RT vinyl are reissues.

3. Wow, life gets in the way of the best laid plans, I'm 2 releases behind here!
    Gotta get on that...:D

The first four or five albums would be green labels for pressings up to around 1978 and blue labels for any 80's reissues.
    The Chrysalis label changed from the green to the blue white in the late 70's.
    My "Victim's Of The Fury" CHR 1215 vinyl is on the blue label and is a early, if not first, pressing.

4. Grant

They were using the faded-blue label by 1978. Your info sounds right. I think Chrysalis did the reissues when Trower left the label in 1983. They did a one-off live album on Passport, then did a one-off for GNP Cresendo, then did two for Atlantic.

5. Grant

I'll put up a new album in a couple of days. I do realize that most people are only familiar with, or like the first two or three albums. That's why we are just not getting the posts anymore.

6. boneywhitefoot

boneywhitefoot Member

lets keep going we cant leave poor old robin to fade away so early on in his career:goodie:

7. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Yeah, he's just getting started!

8. boneywhitefoot

boneywhitefoot Member

blt has already been done so whats next???

9. Playing catch up here... :)

Just listened to Victims a couple of times through after many years of not hearing it!

I think its a great album and a return to a harder rockin' style. :thumbsup:
    Solid all the way through and IMO the best studio release since "For Earth Below".

Next up tonight is B.L.T. with bass and vocals from Jack Bruce! :cool:

BTW - Looks like 1977 might have been the first year with the blue/white labels starting with "In City Dreams"
    Anyone out there have a ICD vinyl with a green label?

10. Grant

Truce - 1982

1. Gonna Shut You Down
    2. Gone Too Far
    3. Thin Ice
    4. Last Train to the Stars
    5. Take Good Care of Yourself
    6. Fall in Love
    7. Fat Gut
    8. Shadows Touching
    9. Little Boy Lost

OK Here is the second album with Jack Bruce and Bill Lordon. What a creepy cover!

This album is a very mixed bag, and turns into the Bruce show. Half the songs are terrible, IMO. Where in the hell were they going with songs like "Thin Ice" and "Fat Gut"? The former sounds like their trying to sound trendy. And, what's up with his vocal?

There are some songs I like on here. "Gone Too far", "Fall In Love", and "Little Boy Lost" aren't too bad at all. And, "Take Good care Of Yourself" takes me back to the soul singers of the 60s like Lou Rawls, not in sound, but in style and in lyrics. It's my favorite on this album.

Attached Files:

11. boneywhitefoot

boneywhitefoot Member

gana shut you down gets me off.

12. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I like the new one with Jack Bruce, Seven Moons, but that will be at the very end! :)

13. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

You must good to impress Robert.

14. Grant

I said that I will stop at the late 80s since I don't have many of the later ones. If anyone would like to take over after "Take What You Need" be my guest!:wave:

15. I like both of the early eighties releases with Jack Bruce but find B.L.T. a more solid album than "Truce".
    If rated on a five star scale I'd give "Truce" a 3.5 and B.L.T. a 4.5.

"Truce" IMO is more of a commercially stylized rambling affair and
    IIRC by the time of the actual recording dates both Trower and Bruce had other projects in the works to move on to.
    When I listened to it yesterday it did not have as much positive impact as when I spun it again this morning!

Finding this thread an interesting exercise as it is getting me to spin and enjoy some Trower vinyl not listened to in years! :righton:

16. Grant

It's kind of sad that a lot of people didn't keep up with Trower into the late 70s and 80s. Note the dwindling number of posts on this thread.

17. Anyone else own B.L.T. or Truce? Some great early eighties rock, not to be missed.
    The next one coming up is a heavy classic that all Trower fans should have! :D

18. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

I've got 'em both. I've always liked BLT a lot but I hated Truce when I first heard it. Songs like "Fat Gut" made me go :wtf:
    I just listened to Truce again recently after a long time of not hearing it, and it's better than I remembered.

19. Grant

I'm glad i'm not the only one turned off by "Truce" save a couple of good songs on it.

And, yes, the next album is a return to form.

20. Wow, I've played "Truce" 4 times over the last three days and it is getting better each spin! :laugh:
    The only tracks that have not made a positive impression so far are "Thin Ice", "Fat Gut" and "Shadows Touching".

21. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Our thread's dying!

Here's a video from this year, from my hometown, Modesto CA. (I Live in Texas now.) Like an idiot, I didn't go when he came to Austin. Why? I don't know. I've got dents in my butt from kicking myself.

22. Grant

I know. I haven't forgotten about it. I'll get another album up tomorrow evening.

Seems like right after "Caravan To Midnight", people lost interest.

23. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I guess I'll chime in. I only have a few Robin Trower recordings: Bridge Of Sighs, B.L.T., Truce and Seven Moons. I really like B.L.T., and my favorite tracks are Won't Let You Down, Carmen, Into Money, It's Too Late and Life On Earth.

As for Truce, well, to be brutally honest I think it sucks and doesn't hold a candle to the prior release. They are like night and day to each other. In fact, Seven Moons is far better than Truce (IMHO).

I do have to go back and pick up more of his early stuff--particularly For Earth Below (I really like that album cover) and Victims Of The Fury.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.