The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: 10 worst snubs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

....and...... Procol harum.......!!!

Terry Shute and Marvin like this.
  2. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Lets add Kim Karnes and Kenny Rogers too while we're at it. Everyone in the pool.

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

There's a one page article on Chubby Checker in the most recent issue of Goldmine, and while it doesn't mention the R&RHOF by name, it makes a pretty good case for him being one of the worst snubs just the same.

4. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

They haven't had credibility since they inducted Madonna.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  5. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Touche.

Waylon9 and Tree of Life like this.
  6. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

To me the exclusion of the Moodies and ELP is clear evidence that the Hall reflects the tastes of Rolling Stone magazine-which detested these two bands.

RonBaker, Waylon9, Jimijam and 2 others like this.
  7. asmiithee

asmiithee Forum Resident

just been reading Octobers Rolling Stone they reviewed Bob Weirs new album and referred to him as the Bassist for the Grateful Dead...:shake::shake:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And they say it twice! :eek:

Woof - I'm not a Dead fan but even I know Weir played guitar, not bass!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Paul b

Paul b Forum Resident

I think the lack of Procol Harum's membership is egregious. A powerful lineup for the first three records. Recall Rolling Stone noting the Brroker-Fisher Trower axis.
    Piano + Organ was influential.
    Great songwriting. Soulful singing. Out-there lyrics. Stinging Guitar.
    There's love for Yes and the Moodies' starting with DOFP but they would not be without Procol Harum.
    Sorry to see them slip from contention the past two years.

10. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

I am a Pearl Jam fan, well I only like Vs & Vitalogy but how do they get in before The Blue Oyster Cult or even Iron Maiden for that matter. Seems like favoritism to me.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  11. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Rolling Stone is not alone in that opinion. Largely pretentious piffle packaged for consumption by us Yanks.:hide:
    Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

12. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I don't see pretentious as much of a problem when it comes to rock music. :cool:

billnunan likes this.
  13. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

"I used to care, but things have changed" (BD)
    It used to mean something. They lost me a longtime ago...
    I attended the opening day at R'n'R HOF in Cleveland and attended the massive long stadium gig. Things were brilliant at that time.. sure, you can't agree with everything. But this has been a charade for sometime.

My main complaint : KING CRIMSON

fuzzface likes this.
  14. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

Rolling Stone - they f*ing blow. Its a political rag now disguised as some sort of hipster ode to modern bands. I have the same attitude towards Rolling Stone that I adopted in the late 70s - if they liked a record, I'd more than likely hate it, and if they hated it, that generally meant the players were great and I should probably check it out.

billnunan likes this.
  15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They didn't care much for Journey either. Frontiers and Escape both got two stars. So if it's all about Rolling Stone's tastes, how come Journey are in instead of, say, Graham Parker &the Rumour?

uzn007 likes this.
  16. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

All I can say is, I don't know what I would do without the rock and roll hall of fame to validate my tastes.

billnunan and Bob J like this.
  17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I agree with them on Journey.

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

What's up with all the mentions of Procol Harum? Really? What about Cactus and Eloy or maybe Starcastle?

zebop likes this.
  19. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Fair enough question. But Rolling Stone's disrespect for ELP and the Moodies was even greater, so great that I think they were simply omitted from the album guides.

20. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I consider them an insult.

YardByrd, Christopher B and Waylon9 like this.
  21. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

KING CRIMSON

fuzzface likes this.
  22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not really. Can't quote you every review, but Works Vol I was a full-page lead review, and half a rave (the reviewer loved the group and Lake sides). Here's their review of 7th Sojourn which is mixed (loves the music, not sure on the lyrics), but certainly shows appreciation for their catalogue.

The Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn

23. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

That review comes from 1973. My opinion that RS disrespected these bands was based on them being omitted from their massive album guides.

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Sure, but a lot of people assume that RS was crapping on a lot of music (especially prog) in real time, which wasn't the case-- "Close to the Edge" for instance got one of the raviest raves they ever printed. The Record Guides were revisionist, done some 20 years after the fact in some cases, and edited by a guy (Christgau) who has no presence there now.

seed_drill likes this.
  25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

ELP does have a pretty low wheat to chaff ratio, though I love their earlier stuff. But critics have always been unkind to them: "Never has so much talent been wasted by so few in front of so many" I believe was the post Isle of Wight quip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.