The Rolling Stones "Dirty Work" in retrospect

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I love the Stones, but I'd rather pour molten lava into my ears than listen to Dirty Work.

2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I agree that Dirty Work is generally not given a fair shake. I think it is definitely better than folks give it credit for, and I also agree that the production could have been a LOT worse than it actually was (even though I think the production was not particularly sympathetic to the Stones sound...) I'd give it a solid B.

But I stop well short of calling it great.

Karnak and GentleSenator like this.
  3. MyDenverMint

MyDenverMint Forum Resident

I love this album so much.

GentleSenator and INSW like this.
  4. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Dirty Work has a few decent tracks (One Hit, Too Rude, Harlem Shuffle). One Hit is one of the heaviest Stones songs ever in my opinion, but it falls short of being a classic Stones song like Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Live With Me, etc.
    Aside from that, Dirty Work is forgettable. I prefer the 1983 album Undercover, which I thought was pretty good, the Stones at their sleaziest. Dirty Work was their first album on CBS, and to me they lost that cool sound they had during the 70s on Atlantic.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  5. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

I don't listen to either Undercover or Dirty Work much these days, but perhaps Undercover was the last sleazy Stones album and Dirty Work was the last "raw, angry" album as the OP stated. Both hold some merit.

As little as I listen to those '83 and '86 versions of the Stones, I NEVER listen to Bridges from the late 90s.

So, yes, am thankful for Dirty Work's few high marks as already mentioned....

RogerB and Hep Alien like this.
  6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

DIRTY WORK is not a bad album at all. It doesn't ever get a fair shake. There's some fine material on that record.

7. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

Underwork would have been a pretty good album.

8. duggan

duggan Senior Member

As I've said before it amazes me that Exile gets lauded for being a tough, grimy, unpolished album whilst Dirty Work is criticised for having similar characteristics.

The sheer energy and vitality of the album set it apart from so much of the Stones more generic output. Give me Dirty Work over any post Exile Stones album (especially Steel Wheels) other than Some Girls and Tattoo You.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  9. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Amazing album cover. I want a full size one for my music room!

10. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

That's the only song I like on the album.

11. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I really like the 12" mix of "One Hit To The Body" which wasn't available on cd anywhere until recently with that huge cd singles box set that came out a few years ago.

12. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Only 4 good songs on this that would have made a great ep.

13. botley

botley Forum Resident

Geez, where did you guys all go? There wasn't nearly this much traction when I reviewed the LP for the album-by-album thread. Well, nice to see there's a broad range of opinions, as usual for the Bill Wyman era. A huge majority seem to be protesting the later albums by staying away...

14. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

I felt intimidated by that Stones album-by-album thread. Right from the start, there was so much knowledge on display. I felt like someone's kid brother looking in.

Threads devoted to single albums kind of let you jump in and spout off. Of course, what better album to spout about than one that gets a lot of flak.

Dudley Morris and Carserguev like this.
  15. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

This is not a good album. Come on, listen to any other Stones before it.

16. botley

botley Forum Resident

Have a look in, we've been a little more casual about things since the World War III era. Mostly because it's so quiet!

Slokes likes this.
  17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

god i love dirty work! like another said, i'll take this over the majority of their 90s output.

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  18. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Gave you a like just for that hilarious description.

Stencil, Roberto899, painted8 and 3 others like this.
  19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I don't think anyone criticizes Dirty Work for those reasons. To me the slick 80s production and non-Charlie drumming make it sound anything but grimey and unpolished. I have a sentimental soft spot for this record, but I wouldn't argue that it's great, because it lacks great songs. Some good ones, some bad, but nothing I would call great. That is the main thing that differentiates it from Exile.

Bluesman Mark and Hep Alien like this.
  20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Not to mention that sleeve - didn't do them any favors either. I still love One Hit to the Body though.

21. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

An album saved by Jimmy Page.

pscreed likes this.
  22. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

And they didn't write it!

23. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I loved it when it was new because I loved the Stones. The years have given me clarity on the album however. There has to be a "worst Stones record ever made" and Dirty Work is it.

Bluesman Mark and Hammerpeg like this.
  24. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Of course, the cover is hideous, and - to add to the issues - wasn't Charlie kind of in and out at this point with his own drug problems? Regardless, I liked this album when it came out (was crazy about "Had it with You") and I still really like it. I pull it out and give it a spin in just about equal rotation with the classics that preceded it...

25. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

"One Hit" is a great tune and "Sleep Tonight" is nice, but the rest of the album is a snooze. The songs are not memorable and the playing is so generic that I've always assumed a bunch of studio musicians were used. Most of the album sounds nothing like the stones.

Bluesman Mark and Moonbeam Skies like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.