The Rolling Stones- Goat's Head Soup song-by-song discussion!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Oct 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Here is another outtake from the sessions. Mick Taylor later used it on one of his solo albums.

Hardy Melville, vinyldreams and sami like this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Another outtake from around this time. It is also known as Wind Call.

Hillel abramov likes this.
  3. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

That's really cool, and would have made a great album closer as is.

Hillel abramov and stef1205 like this.
  4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

Not there's a lot of uptempo material on Goats Head Soup as it is:laugh:
    Bill stated he never liked overdubbing his bass- either he played it on the basic track (playing along with Charlie) or not at all, he'd play keyboards or something else instead. To my ears it is Bill playing bass on "Friend" but I can't decide if it's him or Taylor playing bass on "Tops".
    I would agree, but then I'm not a big Tattoo You fan...I really only like three or four songs on it ("Start Me Up", "Slave", "Worried About You" and "Tops")
    Of course, you can pick Nicky out anywhere:righton:
    Yeah, well, I just wish it wasn't blocked at work so's I could actually see some of the videos you guys have been posting...such as:
    "Leather Jacket", yeah?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

6. ohnothimagen

Note to self: I need to start checking this discussion when I'm at home where You Tube isn't bloody blocked!:laugh:

John Fell likes this.
  7. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Separately is a bool track. Windmill is an experiment and should noz be released. Good that they did not release Tops and WOAF, with the falsetto voice they good have been wasted, the maturer vocals on Tattoo You do those songs justice.

8. dee

dee Senior Member

Not sure but FWIW for much of the song I hear more a Van Morrison kind of influence and specifically (and a little too close for comfort to my ears) whiffs of the title track of St. Dominic's Preview, especially the second time around and on.

9. JivingSisterFanny

JivingSisterFanny Well-Known Member

Well put! Tis my fave track off the lp.

Zoot Marimba and ohnothimagen like this.
  10. JivingSisterFanny

Criss Cross man is a brilliant track, I would have enjoyed GHS that much more with it. I can do without Coming down again and Can you hear the music.

11. JivingSisterFanny

I always thought it was "You're gonna kiss those days goodbye" .. Which still works I suppose ☺

12. ohnothimagen

I think it's safe to say that "100 Years Ago" is the 'deep cut' on Goats Head Soup that everybody loves.

13. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Great song as is all the album but the stand out for me is Winter. One of my Favourites.

14. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

I wonder if a shoddy recording studio in Jamacia led to the muddy sound on the tracks, don't get me wrong I really love this album but Exile was recorded in the basement of a French cottage and sounds much much better in comparison

15. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

Good god

16. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Goat's Head Soup is great as it is for me.

Why on earth they didn't add Tops or Waiting On A Friend to IORR album or Black or Blue I'll never know.

17. ohnothimagen

Good question, of course...but I bet fourty odd years after the fact the Stones probably couldn't tell ya either!

18. dee

dee Senior Member

I just listened for the first time to a vinyl issue of GHS. It's the gatefold sleeve and the 2 inserts and inner sleeve were intact. I don't recall the deadwax info. It was an excellent player and the sound of it really kicked me in the head - I was expecting dull and instead I got what I thought seemed almost perfectly perfection. Have a greater appreciation during the past year or two for this album and the sound of it just filled the space I was in and there was no escaping it. I just like the tone of it. I cut it off after Can You Hear The Music? due to time constraints and I was already satisfied. Heck I was satisfied by the end of Side 1 and then through Winter.

bonus and ohnothimagen like this.
  19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I always thought it was a pity that The Stones did not promote Heartbreaker on Don Kirschner's TV show instead of Mr D, as after all it would be the 2nd single in the US.
    It hit home when i saw a 73' European interview with Mick clearly very pleased with this track and his noteworthy artistic effort in his eyes.
    The following year we even got a clip for the 2nd single from IORR, The cover Ain't too proud to beg.
    I don't mind Mr D but it is not in my top 5 cuts on the lp and Heartbreaker is far better, not to mention more durable as a live number also.

Hep Alien and the pope ondine like this.
  20. All Down The Line

Yes as i forgot to say previously on your Rewind thread that it was cool to hear Heartbreaker after Angie for a change!

21. All Down The Line

Would probably work for me.

Purple Jim likes this.
  22. All Down The Line

Have you ever heard the spoken promo on a boot Flexi Disc with the woman in a trance repeating "I need Emotional Rescue" ad infinitum.....before being carted away thought mad. Very amusing.

23. All Down The Line

Great memory!!!

24. All Down The Line

Maggot Brain.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  25. All Down The Line

Bill was Awol on quite a few cuts on Exile too, mind you he did dispute the album credits feeling he was on more cuts.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.