The Rolling Stones On Air In The Sixties Book and Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Pre-ordered.

2. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Sez who?

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Keith Richards and Mick Jagger have stated in interviews that they were not really happy with Between the Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Requests.

4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Shame. Those albums are actually pretty cool to some people here (including me).

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They have a few moments but I like the earlier albums better.

Rojo and andrewskyDE like this.
  6. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

MJ said it as earlier as 1969 or something around that time regarding Between The Buttons. But i'm quite surprised that ABCKO planning to issue (possibly) extended edition of Satanic.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Is this official and does the CD come with book or separate ?

Is this unreleased BBC sessions ? Big news if it is.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

There has been no official announcement. My understanding is the book will be separate from the dvd/cd.

We do not know what is included on the set or even if any BBC sessions will be included. Since it is called On Air, it could include any television appearances.

The links at the beginning of the thread contain all of the information that we know at this point.

Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I think between the buttons is a great album but can easily pass on Majesties Request, it's abit of a mess. I can't pass on much Stones stuff but if they reissue that I could maybe pass on it.

10. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Ok thanks , sure it will all become clear on here over the next couple of months.

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Carl80 likes this.
  12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Where has this been announced? Any info would be great, imagine a deluxe Aftermath, Beggars Banquet or Let It Bleed !

I did wonder about the tongue logo being on 60's material on the front of the book.

13. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

It has not been 'announced' yet. But the 'Sympathyforthedevils' journal on the web, is right 99% of the time.
    They predicted 'GRRR', 'The Rolling Stones In Mono', 'Totally Stripped' and also now 'On Air'. Pretty reliable.

Sean, Mark Wilson and Carl80 like this.
  14. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Brilliant, thanks for the information. Don't suppose you have a link please ? I couldn't find the site or I might have but it was in French.

15. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I must say that if there is anything like a cd or audio release, they MUST in capitals release the March 1964 Radio Luxembourg acetate in full. Bill owns this. It was recorded for broadcast over 3 or 4 shows on Radio Luxembourg. It is THE Jones-era holy grail as far as I'm concerned.

crozcat likes this.
  16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

17. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am hoping for this too. Indeed the title does suggest that they may not be restricting themselves to BBC sessions.

But supposing they do just focus on the BBC sessions, this does raise a couple of questions about the format of the set:

There are enough unique songs recorded for the BBC to fill 2 cd's. But there are also several songs that were recorded more than once. Perhaps these will be on an 'extras' disc?

Another question is will the set have a similar format to The Beatles BBC sets with a mixture of music and chat or will it follow the format of the Led Zeppelin and Queen sets which only featured the music. Personally I think I prefer the latter.

In addition to the Radio Luxembourg session, does anyone know of any other radio sessions that might be a part of this set?

18. Checked out the set list for this on the IORR thread - here's what was posted:

1 Bye Bye Johnny 2 I Wanna Be Your Man 3 Diddley Daddy 4 Little By Little 5 Look What You’ve Done 6 Mona 7 Not Fade Away 8 Now I’ve Got A Witness 9 Pretty Thing
    10 Walking The Dog 11 You Better Move On 12 Reelin’ And Rockin’ 13 Roll Over Beethoven 14 Route 66

Very interesting. Anyone ever actually heard it before - I sure haven't (and therefore assume it's uncirculated to date)...

Sean and Tommyboy like this.
  19. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Could you please post a link to that site? Can't find in google for whatever reason...

Thanks!

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Some of the BBC songs that are out there in bootleg land are in lesser sound quality than others. I am not sure if they would include the cuts that are in lesser sound quality or not.

Tommyboy likes this.
  21. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

News

In french.

22. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I believe it's all basically unheard since broadcast although Bill has the acetate (pic in his book i think) and I think "videojames" (James Karnbach???) might have a copy too. I've been investigating Radio Luxembourg recordings for some time but it seems that the survival rate as even off-airs is poor to say the least. Makes the BBC's collection seem complete by comparison. The awful reception and (probably) 99.99% destruction of master tapes hasn't helped the situation much. (I'm only hoping 0.01% survives somewhere undiscovered by the way !). A few off airs by Billy Fury survive and a fair amount from Cliff and The Shad's various series 1959 to 1963.
    This Stones acetate along with a complete 1966 Dylan Concert film, Paul's 1962 Cavern reel and the I'm In Great Shape acetate remain my music holy grails as I will mention at every available opportunity. That's my music bucket list unless Brian Wilson suddenly remembers he did finish Smile in 1967 after all but accidentally put the acetate in his copy of Between The Buttons and forgot about it.

Shawn and GetRhythm like this.
  23. JOHN LOWE

JOHN LOWE Active Member

If this is finally a 'Stones at the Beeb' set , its welcome and long overdue.
    The Beatles , as you would expect, set the trend and their release was a mega seller.
    I believe The Who, Bowie, Led Zep and Queen have all put out sets and they have sold well.
    The group and ABKCO have cooperated on releases since 40 Licks....about ?15 years ago.
    As often with Stones product....you have to be patient!

24. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Well if it is let's hope they don't stuff it up by editing intros, outros, making poor eq and compression decisions which have sadly been all too common with other BBC releases - The Hollies, Cream, Who and Hendrix sets just to name 4. Let's also hope they've managed to find improved and or new sources for some tracks too.

Shawn likes this.
  25. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

"There will also be a “tie-in” album and a BBC documentary of the same name."
    I can't imagine the BBC or The Stones would pass on an opportunity to get a DVD of the documentary out. I would spring for all 3.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.