The Rolling Stones On Air In The Sixties Book and Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

No we, it sucks to be u
    Beave

Sean and fmfxray373 like this.
  2. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I'm GOing to listen to On Air right now!
    Thanks!

Sean and Carl80 like this.
  3. The Beave

Man you really like confrontation don't you? You never give up do you?
    Enjoy your stage man.
    Me, I'll enjoy the vinyl, which I'm doing right now.
    Great album, much better than any bootleg I've ever heard, and I've heard hundreds.
    Beave

4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Apart from legal technicalities, I think it's silly to abstain from good opportunties to hear these works for the 20+ years they've been circulating in listenable quality, whatever the transaction.

I'm one of those "Life's too short" people. "Oh, you'd like me to wait 20, 30, 50 years until you're good and ready? No."

goodiesguy and WonkyWilly like this.
  5. The Beave

Listen ing right now.......side two of the Vinyl..........
    Fantastic Baby...........
    Beave

Sean, Carl80, Jack and 1 other person like this.
  6. fmfxray373

I bought my first Rolling Stones bootleg about 40 years ago.
    It is just silly to bash this official release is all I am saying.

7. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

The entire Deluxe set is available on Spotify now......

8. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

All I can say is thank god for Bootlegs. Similar situation with the Pink Floyd BBC sessions, where the bootleg's have far better quality.

9. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Yes. I download stuff for free. I then seek it out and buy it through the official route. I'm not going to bite the hand that feeds me. If you have no conscience that's up to you. Do you seriously expect anybody to bother to release anything properly when there are those that brag about not paying a cent?

10. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

What a classless reply.
    Looking at your other posts I shouldn't be surprised.

Rochdale3, Sean, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Well, yeah. The Beatles did it with the BBC and Anthology series of CD issues. In the late 1980s - Early 1990s, better sounding bootlegs with brand new material were available. George Martin and Ringo talked about releasing this material officially and beating the bootleggers.

12. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Why? It's lousy. We have every right to bash it. If you don't like it, then start a thread about how awesome it is with positive comments only. I'm sure the three or four people here who love this set will be glad to participate.

goodiesguy likes this.
  13. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

What is silly about complaining about legitimate issues?

goodiesguy and lukpac like this.
  14. Jack

Jack Senior Member

You go, Beave! I’m loving this vinyl pressing too. Great minds.....

Sean, Carl80, ssmith3046 and 2 others like this.
  15. fmfxray373

It is easy to knock down and tear apart. It is not really the criticism of the cd but idea that just because some people own the bootlegs they are all of a sudden authorities on everything. If On Air was as bad as Got Live If You Want It I wouldn't really complain about criticism. But it isn't.

Abkco and the Rolling Stones (there is the red lips logo on the cover so they had a part in this somewhere) brought out these tapes to the world legally.
    We should be glad.

I have a lot of the BBC cds...Zeppelin, the Who, the Beatles (both volumes). This is the only BBC collection I ever wanted to really listen to again.

16. fmfxray373

http://www.rollingstones.com/

It is not fake news.
    Corporate shirts and ties went to vaults and did what they could with tapes. Probably didn't cross their minds to go to piratebay and Ebay and use those boots as a source.
    Nothing wrong with that. If you like your bootlegs keep listening. Have a nice day.

Sean and The Beave like this.
  17. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Are you kidding? They exactly go to bootlegs (piratebay, ebay, torrents - whatever you may call it) and grab it for official release.
    What tapes they used?
    For what we should be glad exactly?
    Especially that this recordings already out of copyright since 2014-15!

You talk like they suddenly released unheard 1964-66 outtakes from the vault.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    goodiesguy and Laservampire like this.
  18. WonkyWilly

It has already been explained in detail that they used bootlegs as their source for this set.

So basically you are paying $$$ for the "free" bootleg but with reverb and stereo effects added.

You guys can "stick up" for this nonsense all you want. It's a ridiculous release.

bluesbro, vudicus, goodiesguy and 4 others like this.
  19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No, I don’t I think that’s it.

@Laservampire knows what he’s talking about. I trust his opinion and all the more so, if he owns multiple bootleg sources of this material.

Shawn, lukpac, goodiesguy and 2 others like this.
  20. WonkyWilly

The Hendrix BBC set has always been considered a piece of garbage amongst audiophiles because they used poor sources in fake stereo and with added reverb.

But now it appears to be perfectly acceptable as long as it's done on purpose, and with the right PR behind it. What a crock.

vudicus, goodiesguy and aphexj like this.
  21. The Beave

Good post. It is that good of a listen.....Vinyl sounds very nice!
    Beave

Sean, Carl80 and fmfxray373 like this.
  22. The Beave

Must suck being angry all the time.........:(
    Sorry, but using Willy Wonkas quote from his post.........SUCKS TO BE YOU!

Attention gorts, I am just quoting a line from an earlier post by Willy wonka. Don't shoot the messenger please.
    Thank you.
    The beave

fmfxray373 and Sean like this.
  23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I supported all the Stones Archive releases with my dollars, and re-bought many of the same shows in physical form through their From the Vault releases on Eagle Rock. They did a fine job remixing a great deal of existing multi-track recorded shows across many different tours to a modern standard, offering a vast upgrade to what we already had in our collections — we cannot say the same about too many of their peers in the music business. Not all of these releases were to everyone's taste, but still — something new for the fans on each one

When it finally came time for this official BBC sessions release, I was hoping they could again let fans have something new by bringing out better-sounding transfers from superior sources to Beeb the Boots (sorry). Not only did they not (and never claimed to, either), Keith actually expressed in that recent interview how much he wished they could have done some remixing to the 60s recordings — but it simply wasn't possible, and his gripes about the primitive BBC studio technology just go to show that capturing decent multi-track separation in a Rolling Stones live band scenario was not a priority back then

So, while I understand their decision to go to the route they did with this release, it's sadly not enough of an upgrade to make me wanna buy it. "Demixing" isn't the same as remixing — and doesn't pretend to be. You can only get out of it what was already in there. Caveat emptor

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  24. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I didn't know that be experienced on subject is crime now. Ignorance is a bliss

Laservampire and WonkyWilly like this.
  25. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Gentlemen. Lazervampire, WonkyWilly, Hallucalation, Czeskleba. The booklet states expressly that original BBC master tapes and transcription discs were used.

If they were not used it would appear to be in contravention of the Trade Descriptions Act 1968.

I have no idea what was used as I wasn't there. You people are adamant that it was sourced from bootlegs. I would be grateful if one or all of you would report the matter to the Trading Standards so that it can be dealt with appropriately.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.