The Rolling Stones On Air In The Sixties Book and Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Extensive boots of Satanic Majesties exist in a package called "Obsidian", which I have. I have no interest in exploring this further, unless there is unheard songs to be had. I thought the Stones were horrifically bad at Hyde park 69, and I think the Taylor live years are fairly well represented. What I want to see and hear is Brian Jones era live stuff! BBC stuff would be cool.

Thoughts on Satanic Majesties-----
    I always thought TSMR was a vastly under rated album, with two big flaws IMO.
    Flaw #1 - the cover being to reminiscent of Pepper, in the colors and goofy outfits.
    Flaw #2- "Sing this song all together" as a musical centerpiece. Should of been a deep short album cut, and not reprised IMO.. As done, though IMO not a bad song, it comes off as very contrived.

Outside that, 2000 light years, 2000 man and Shes a Rainbow are radio staples!
    How many albums with 3 staples like that do we consider duds! IMO all the songs are good, just issues with presentation!

Sean, OldSoul and andrewskyDE like this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like Citadel much better than 2000 Man. The rest I don't care for.

There isn't much live Jones material in decent sound quality and some of it will appear on the On Air release.

andrewskyDE and BDC like this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Mark Wilson, bobcat, Sean and 2 others like this.
  4. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I like it all, and agree Citadel is better, love the sound of the guitars there. 2000 is played more on the radio though,
    "Sing this song all together" as centerpiece is a huge flaw and the albums worst song...
    I even like "In another land", though I'll admit it's a little corny.

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I have never heard 2000 Man played on the radio.

street legal and Mark J like this.
  6. Any idea what the letters after each song title are supposed to signify? It should be noted that up to this point, not all of what is listed is circulating in optimum quality (unless there's been some amazing new discovery somewhere I'm not aware of). First of all, all of the '65 show is available in decent soundboard quality, best heard in mono on the "Reelin' and Rockin' boot (which also includes the best circulating version of the '66 Honolulu show - Brian Jones' last ever concert performance on U.S. soil). The recording itself, while adequate for the time, would have been better served with Mick's vocals mixed a little lower. The big prize here is the one-off encore of Bo Diddley's "Crawdad" - with great interaction between the band and the crowd.

Both of the '66 shows sound like great performances; however, only four tracks at present from the 2nd show circulate in soundboard quality (the opener "The Last Time" - with thunderous applause drowning out the band in the beginning, "19th Nervous Breakdown" (great here), "Get Off My Cloud" (as I've pointed out before, there's actually no "Hang On Sloopy Theme" - just Mick playfully uttering the title during the "Cloud" intro, and the first two minutes of "Satisfaction" before it devolves into an audience-level recording. Would be wonderful if full quality soundboards of both these shows exist somewhere; however the reference to only including excerpts of these in the new release leads me to believe that's unfortunately not the case.

Finally, the '67 show, with the band sounding miraculously sharp and adventurous in their playing despite the internal and external turmoil surrounding them at this stage. All but two tracks - "Lady Jane" and "Goin' Home" (brilliantly medley'd with "Satisfaction" here) are available in excellent soundboard quality at present. Amazing this whole show hasn't seen official release to this point - one of the best concert recordings of the Stones' career, easily.

So, all we can do is wait and see at this point...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

KISS covered that song, maybe this one was often on radio.^^

John Fell likes this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The letters correspond to the original bootleg releases where the songs appeared.

9. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I have myself, but I probably overstated my case calling it a staple. Not that it adds much, but I thought Kiss did a decent cover of the song with Ace singing. I'm not too much a fan of theirs, but I know Ace/Kiss fans regard the tune highly.
    That said, for many that will further strengthen the position that the song sucks, LOL

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

My guess is the variable sound quality is why they are mixing the live tracks and BBC tracks on the cd instead or releasing complete shows. Some of the BBC tracks are in better sound quality than others as well.

11. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

A Stones BBC set is the only way anyone could prise money out of me for Stones product.....

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

I've been digging this for years so I can't get excited about this new thing.

laf848, bobcat and Tommyboy like this.
  13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I also have that one. The sound on some cuts is a little dodgy. The new release is also supposed to have some live cuts from the Paris Olympia shows from 1965-67 as well in addition to some BBC material.

Sean, steveharris, Clanceman and 2 others like this.
  14. This is a pretty comprehensive collection of their BBC material, however they screwed around with the sound way too much for my liking; 'stereoizing' what were mostly all mono recordings originally, and also adding artificial reverb to a lot of the tracks. There are better sources out there.

Purple Jim likes this.
  15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I just hope they include all the BBC only songs that did not appear on the studio albums.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    goodiesguy, Sean, Clanceman and 3 others like this.
  16. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

There's currently a new compilation "out there", Complete BBC Sessions 1963-1965 which has many of the better sounding tracks sourced directly from new BBC Transcription disc transfers, and the rest of the tracks taken from the best sounding off-air copies. No fake stereo or NR nonsense. There's even a newly discovered interview from '65 with Mick and Keith at the end.

goodiesguy, Freek999, JohnS and 6 others like this.
  17. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I've got this...I suspect it is an "early release" of the forthcoming accompanying compilation to the book.

Tommyboy likes this.
  18. Where? Is it grey market or boot?

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Are there any significant upgrades on this compilation, where a BBC disc transfer replaced an off-air recording?

20. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Nope, independent work by a fastidious collector.

All of the disc transfers have a bit more Brian Matthew chatter, and sound a lot clearer than the old "Got Satisfaction if you want it" bootleg, which seems to be where every previous BBC boot was sourced from. Now you can hear them direct from the transcription discs!

Unfortunately no new master sources for the off-air stuff, though it's all free of NR now.

Tommyboy likes this.
  21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks! I love the show from October 1963. The performance of Come On is better than the studio version. At least I think it is.

Clanceman and Laservampire like this.
  22. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

No news on the CD/DVD content yet? The original release date is approaching rapidly...

23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Bump

Clanceman and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

25. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Hopefully no news is good news.I would like to be optimistic and think they are putting together a comprehensive set of 60`s audio from the best sources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.