The Rolling Stones “Some Girls” Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clanceman, May 25, 2018.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Thanks for asking. I figured I had nothing else to add with all of the great comments about all the songs. Great thread!

Clanceman likes this.
  2. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Cops dressed in plastic bags. Directing traffic.

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Or The Metal Guru?

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Jack, are you using that barbeque lighter to light yer pipe?:laugh:

5. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Some kind of fashion.

6. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Oh ya, lasts forever. Just have to be careful with the Beatle bangs! (Nothing is Beatle proof!)

ohnothimagen likes this.
  7. Jack

Jack Senior Member

It’s a boot of the extra disc included in the deluxe edition. The songs sound great on vinyl.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

oh cool, I failed to grasp this subtleties here I think.
    Love it, or the idea anyway!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    OldSoul likes this.
  9. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Musings on a hot Saturday afternoon: Previous discussions about the durability of the Some Girls bonus disc coupled with what track(s) to leave off the masterpiece of Some Girls made me think about the possibilities. Since, as I said, I do consider SG to be a true work of art already, I left this task to fate and put both discs in the CD changer and pressed shuffle... just to see (sometimes this works and other times it doesn't). In my mind, I wanted to hear how the first ten songs would flow musically, and flow they did. It really sounded terrific perhaps because of the overall high quality of nearly all the songs, and also because the styles are somewhat eclectic already. Here are the songs as they played*:

Side One

Just My Imagination
    Far Away Eyes
    Before They Make Me Run
    Miss You
    Respectable
    -
    Side Two

Claudine
    Some Girls
    Beast of Burden
    When the Whip Comes Down
    Shattered

Luck of the draw resulted in only one song from the bonus disc, but it really fit the mix well between "Respectable" and "Some Girls"... perhaps "Everything Is Turning to Gold" could be tacked on as a 'bonus' cut.

* In fairness, "Petrol Blues" did come up very early in the mix, but as I'm not fond of that rough blues of whatever it is, that was the only song that I fast forwarded through.

Clanceman likes this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like that you added Claudine. :righton:

Personally, I would have added So Young, When You're Gone or I Love You Too Much and deleted Far Away Eyes and Miss You.:hide:

The better task would be to remake Emotional Rescue using the Some Girls bonus disc and the Pathe Marconi tracks that were used on Tattoo You along with the tracks already included on Emotional Rescue.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  11. Davido

The random shuffled added "Claudine" (not me) but it really fits between the more punkish "Respectable'' and the hard blues of "Some Girls". It's probably the best rocker on the bonus disc. My only concern was the lovely ballad Beast of Burden smack dab between the raunchy humor of Some Girls and When the Whip Comes Down but the songs flow musically.

12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Nice one though a certain Walter Y, Clive D or Ahmet E type would remove you from their payroll. Lol☺

13. Rose River Bear

Some Girls

Open tuning on this song by Mick I think in open G. Anyway, the song is believe it or not the same type chord structure as the three songs before it. A-D in the verses with blues in the turnaround. Eight bar blues with a chorus. A countrified flavor in the Mick and Keith harmony vocals. A skittering country fill from Woody at 1:06 making sure he lands on chordal tones at the chord changes in country style. The chorus at 1:19 goes to A minor with Mick making sure he vocalizes the flatted third note. Gives the song a more somber and weary tone and is the reverse of what a chorus usually attempts to do. Brilliant stuff. The chorus has guitar parts that repeat that make it sound more forceful. Sounds like pedal steel under the mix as well. The verse returns and at 1:34 listen for those clipped funk like chords. At 2:25 another solo from Woody that is a little more rock leaning and is played on slide guitar. The verse returns and then we hear the infamous line that caused some problems back in the day but censored on this clip that was forwarded to me by a participant in the thread. The chorus returns and at 3:21 Mick does a fine country yelp at "please come him". The verse returns at 3:31 and Mick gets a little more emphatic and now only wants a half of everything. The song outros with Mick wailing on the harmonica with some blues dips. The song fades with the boys still roaring.

The fantastic title song. Great songwriting with the chorus that adds a different emotional level to the song. Glimmer Twins sound great in the vocals. Bill and Charlie keep it grounded and Charlie adds in cymbal flourishes at just the right time. Killer stuff.

[/QUOTE]

14. Rose River Bear

@John Fell am I right about the pedal steel sections on Some Girls song?
    I realize the credits do not say so.
    The chorus sounds like a pedal steel low in the mix and Woody's solo at 2:25 might be slide or pedal steel.

15. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Slide w/B-bender Tele

16. ohnothimagen

I love that fill! It's licks like that -full of woozy attitude- that makes Ron Wood one of the coolest guitar players on the planet for me.
    Keith plays bass on "Some Girls" (Bill does play the synthesizer though). That bass line is full of stock Keith Richards bass guitar riffs, very reminiscent of his line on "Soul Survivor" in places.

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  17. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

40 years old tomorrow....June 9, 1978

And it still rocks!!!!

bonus, t-man 54 and Clanceman like this.
  18. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amen!!

Exile On My Street likes this.
  19. ohnothimagen

Lotta talk about Some Girls being kind of a love letter to New York. Obviously since Mick lived there at the time the Big Apple was influence, and definitely informed a lot of the lyrics and themes on the album.

All Down The Line likes this.
  20. Davido

What kind of love is expressed by a line like "don't mind the maggots"...? The album oozes NYC attitude (except for the girl with "well you know what kinda eyes she got?) through and through, but I realize that Some Girls (to me) is the band's first "American" album. You can somewhat feel the love.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  21. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

I lived in NYC for 18 years and I get the sentiment of that line, even if I can't explain it. NYC is great because it has the best of everything and the worst of everything. You just have to keep all that in its proper balance. When the bad stuff weighs on the scale too much for too long, you gotta get out.

Miss You: I love hearing the longer boot versions and hearing how Mick cut and honed his asides into the finished (perfect) version. That kind of thing is fascinating to me - and why I wish the deluxe set had included early versions of the songs.

22. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

A question for anyone who's heard the Some Girls Live In Texas surround mix. In your copy, are Mick's vocals panned to the right and centre speakers but not the left? Very strange. I can't find any mention of this mixing anomaly online.

I'm listening to the compressed DTS and Dolby Digital audio tracks as my receiver's too old to deal with Hi-Res multichannel audio. Maybe the Hi-Res mix is different? And yes, all other 5.1 surround discs sound fine on my system.

I asked this in a new thread last month but had no bites, so maybe someone can chime in here.

23. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Now spinning the 2018 reissue
    [​IMG]

24. Some of us are old enough to remember when Jesse was AGAINST abortion and considered it part of White America's effort to carry out a Black Genocide. Then, he changed his tune when he ran as a democratic candidate for the presidency in 1984 and 1988. But even better and more relevant to controversial, obscene, and insulting, look up his reference to NYC as "Hymie Town", because the city had too many Jews for his taste. Eddie Murphy did a very strong impression of JJ singing the song "Hymie Town" on SNL. Yes, JJ's sense of outrage MIGHT be motivated by his sensibilities being quite flexible.

25. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

"Shattered" is another one of Jagger's 'in haracter' songs — Yiddish and all!

Pretty sure that Jagger flipped the 'black girls' line to 'white girls' in later years, don't think he was meaning to insult anybody by it

Davido likes this.