The Rolling Stones “Some Girls” Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clanceman, May 25, 2018.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I'll start posting reviews of each song at my pace, so I'll start off with.....
    Miss You:
    The song kicks off with a groovy guitar lick backed, with Bill and Charlie locking into an impeccable groove, Mac tastefully serves as a counterpoint on electric piano. While there is that funk-disco groove, it's done Stones style and has the classic Stones feel while easily adapting to the times, and nails both completely. Also, as @Surreal Cereal mentioned, the camp which is done tastefully on this track (helps that camp comes pretty natural to Mick). Also, I love Sugar Blue's harmonica on this song, a nice addition that actually works perfect and the breakdown is awesome, as is the saxophone solo by Mel Collins of King Crimson fame.
    Miss You is a Stones classic, great way to start the album, and it is a great song live.

3. Zoot Marimba

Let's not forget the bonus disc, which is way better than most bonus discs (and better than almost everything after this album)

4. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

I’d look at that as having a plan. A strategy. As long as the songs are great and the performances are hot, then I’m on board.

Clanceman and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

Excactly. They looked at what was working and what was not working, they slimmed the band down, tightened the songs, and of worked for them; they had their biggest selling album in America (biggest market) and what is still considered a high point of the band's catalog.

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It's a different recording style too — more overdubs and editing performances together; song lengths short enough to keep anyone's intrest, and there's plenty of texture in the mix as well

7. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Some Girls opens the next chapter in their career with Ronnie fully integrated as a member and his talents are used to great strengths not unlike Brian Jones before him(at least when Brian was still motivated to do so). The Stones return with some truly inspirational and consistent material on this album and (at least temporarily) it ends the mid 70's slump of albums after Exile(though some might see that as the real beginning slump). They also have some invaluable session help from former Faces member, Ian Maclagan, whom would continue an association with them over the next few years not only in the studio, but as a touring sideman as well.

With the album kicking off with "Miss You", I have to say this is possibly the best opening number since "Brown Sugar" to feature on a new Stones release and although the song has an influence of disco, thus keeping in step with the then-present time period, Jagger's vocal delivery along with the wailing harmonica of James Whiting(aka Sugar Blue), Mel Collins' dynamite saxophone and Charlie's "four on the floor" drumbeat has all of the makings for another definitive Stones classic. I particularly like the harmonies which accompany Mick's lead falsetto and it's interesting to note that the song has a wordless chorus, which I've always found unique and it proved that the songwriting of Jagger and Richards still had aces up their sleeves and weren't a spent force. Classic and excellent opening cut, 10/10 or A+.

uzn007, grx8, duggan and 5 others like this.
  8. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Belongs right there with the big four Stones albums.

9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

You know me Frank. I love the hell out of u and all the great guys around here. I’m easy peasy.

I felt bad for delaying starting this thread. Humbled that guys kept requesting I start this thread.

Ha, I suppose since I’ve been over the top obsessive in my love & praise for it...that it was “meant to be.”

Just didn’t know which way guys/gals wanted to approach it.

I think @ohnothimagen wanted to do song by song here as well.

Frank, your “song by song” stuff is epic. You, or whoever wants can get it going.

I’m loving that people young & old are chiming in. So cool that (imo, the greatest *lol & love/peace to John Fell* piece of music) an album can bring ppl & their memories together!

Carry on.... :tiphat: :righton:

OldSoul and Rose River Bear like this.
  10. Clanceman

Yes sir :edthumbs:

11. Clanceman

Do doubt brother!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. Clanceman

Warms my heart.

And...ok...my daughter walked by with a weird face while I was shaking my iPad around lmao :crazy:

13. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

The three words that some it up perfectly for me are "absolute f'n masterpiece!"

Incredible album, definitely one of my all time favorites!

14. Rose River Bear

I will post a review a day and if folks want to discuss they will.

The Rolling Stones Some Girls Thread

The Rolling Stones “Some Girls” Thread- OP post

1. Miss You

ohnothimagen, painted8 and Clanceman like this.
  15. Clanceman

Spinning my “Orange Dutch” press right now!

Amazing cut. I picked it up from @George Blair here a few yrs back. It’s magic. It’s like the MFSL goosed bass/drums...only natural...if that makes sense?

@john lennonist asked what my 18 copies are (CDs are in there too) & I see just counting its actually 20.

So many diff pressings. I’m not a matrix # dude or anything.

I’ve just picked up everything I see (seriously have gifted at least 50 copies -mostly cd/tape over years.)

Some og in shrink, banned covers, diff countries, re presses, MFSL, Japan cds, CBS, SHM SACD, Virgin, Deluxe, Box set...just loads.

This Dutch Orange & MFSL seem to be the 2 Vinyl I grab the most.

Then...the deluxe bonus disc & the original CBS cd. A few yrs ago I swore by the shm sacd - but I go for the CBS or Japan 32 (sound close to me) mostly lately.

I’ve never cracked the seal on the Super Duper Box. Weird...but I just don’t or won’t. :shrug:

aphexj and George Blair like this.
  16. Clanceman

Perfection bro! :righton:

bonus likes this.
  17. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I realized after posting this it was actually more like 6 years after release of Exile ... still felt like a very long time during the 70s. :)
    I really like almost every song on this album - even "Far Away Eyes" . The title track is the only one that kind of makes me go "meh".

Clanceman likes this.
  18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Clanceman likes this.
  19. Clanceman

I don’t have this.

But...somehow I have a bunch of “Some Girls” chapsticks. Think I bought from Stones store around 2006?

Insane, I know: but I have bags inside boxes with so many “Some Girls” stickers, pins, patches, etc etc...

I have like 10 tshirts - some that look exactly the same...some white w album cover, some black, some w words on the sleeve...just Some Girls mania!

aphexj likes this.
  20. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

In the 90s I was playing in bands. I must have been listening to "Miss You" on my discman ... I realized that if I walked in time to this music it was a really groovy (and goofy) way to walk (yeah I was and still am pretty goofy and weird.) So I called it "groove walking" and I had this song I wrote and we would record it in practice and I would immediately play it back and see how it felt walking to it our practice studio while my bandmates rolled their eyes . I would the make suggestions and we would try it again. It was never anywhere near the greatness of "Miss You" but I was happy with the groove we finally got.
    I just love that over-the-top and barely intelligible "What's the matter man ..." thing Jagger does. "Heyletsgomessandfoolaroundyaknowlikeweyoooooosto." Good stuff.

21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Miss You - A dance disco/funk number that was successful on the charts. There are a number of different edits and mixes of the song. It also also features Ian McLagan from the Small Faces/Faces on electric piano, Sugar Blue on harmonica and Mel Collins from Camel, King Crimson on sax. It is now played at nearly every Stones show and has appeared on many compilations. It's ok but I am tired of it and wish they would drop if from the set list. Some fans over at the IORR forum refer to it as bathroom break time.

Clanceman likes this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

25. Rose River Bear

When The Whip Comes Down

Charlie kicks the song into gear and what follows is a wall of sound with two chords mostly A and D major......this song is tied to the hip of Miss You. Miss You was A minor- D minor and a somber affair. This one is grimy and gritty a la John Lee Hooker. Greasy sliding ghost chords from Keith. Punk flavored boogie is what it is. That little single note line from Woody at :06 gives the song some melody that is trying to give some light to the brutal riffs. This is a blues vamp about dreams of fitting in a different city but learning they are all the same. At :21 Mick and Keith sing the refrain in harmony and they sound amazing with slurred words and notes. The song grooves along with the lyrics telling the story of life as a hustler. At 1:23 Woody adds in some funky fills. Mick keeps it going with the tension and then at 2:09 the song goes to G for a needed easing of the heaviness. Woody and Keith play an amazing counter melodic line with Keith lower in the mix. At 2:35 Woody plays a pedal steel solo with some fine bluesy bends and skittering lines and then at 2:57 an amazing vibrato laden dip that crosses the speakers like a phantom. Wow. At 3:03 Woody plays a pull off boogie riff reminding us where the Stones came from. At 3:19 Charlie changes things up with some hold back drums and then at 3:37 he goes straight hard downbeat and the boys follow him in a brutal fist pounding series of power chords with Woody playing an upper inversion chord that sounds like a pack of horns. The songs refrain repeats and gradually fades.

An amazing song that almost defies description. I call it a punk boogie blues vamp. Keith and Woody's incredible rhythmic drive and interplay is again on full display in the song. Charlie and Bill make and break the tension and release. Last but not least that pedal steel solo is mind blowing with some country flourishes and some psychedelia all wrapped up in a song with an influence that is impossible to trace. Growling guitars that stalk the song like tigers.

One of my favorite Rolling Stones songs.

Last edited: May 26, 2018