The Romantic Moods Of Jackie Gleason CD and Velvet Brass...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrdon, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member Thread Starter

Any one have this 2-CD set? What's the sound like? Sound anything like the Gleason tunes on SH's Bachelor Den Vol. 1? Any other recommended Gleason on CD? Thanks!

2. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

According to BradOlson in this thread, "the Capitol 2 CD set was mastered by Bob Norberg and is No-Noised heavily."

3. sgb

sgb Senior Member

If you can find a copy of the original Capitol release of Velvet Brass, I'd say buy it. I have both this one and the Razor & Tie reissue, and much prefer the sound on the Capitol. While the Capitol is a little brighter and slightly more compressed, the Razor & Tie copy sounds a little too muddy and ill-defined.

One problem with the Capitol is, though, that track 14 is supposed to be September Song, but is just track 15, Out of Nowhere, which is on the CD twice.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yep, the comment I posted back then is correct.

5. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

There may be some no-noise on this disc, but that does not ruin it as far as I'm concerned. There is some great stuff on this set including some very early stereo recordings from as early as 1952, IIRC. Jackie seems to have been very advanced in his use of stereo in the early days. At first I though the 1952 stereo example was some sort of fake stereo, but I am no longer sure that is the case. There are plenty of other stereo recordings here from a bit later which are clearly true stereo, and they seem to be way advanced in this regard. I don't know of any artist that recorded stereo before this, with the possible exception of some film soundtracks. In fact, the earliest songs I can remember with the exception of the early Gleason stuff was Judy Garland from 'A Star is Born', which was 1954.

I was quite shocked to discover this disc. I had no idea that Jackie was so advanced in many ways. He was obviously much more than the bafoon most of us got to know and love from his tv and movie performances. In fact, in the early 50's he sold many many records to the early hi fi fans. What I never could understand was what his role was in these recordings. I don't think he was a musician, nor a producer. From what I've gathered, he was a playboy who loved music and merely put these bands (orchestras) together.

Sure I'd prefer a better mastering without the no-noise, but IMO this disc is well worth listening to. OTOH, the music can put me asleep at times. :D

Simon A likes this.
  6. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Interesting ... Capitol rerecorded a lot of original '50s mono material (i.e. Nat King Cole) in the late '50s and early '60s ... are there liner notes that confirm when the early songs were recorded? ... Steve can probably clear this up ...

7. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yes, there are dates for all the songs on my copy of this disc.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sorry to burst your bubble; those stereo things from 1952 are re-records. First Capitol stereo was from late 1956.

9. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Interesting, now I'll have to relisten to that one. I though it rather odd that there could be stereo from that era, but on the other hand the sonic signature sounded like that vintage to me. Usually I can identify the era a record was recorded in pretty closely. I don't mind my bubble being bursted at all. I just want the truth whatever it turns out to be. :D

10. Steve Hoffman

Doug,

Capitol wanted to sell stereo versions (for a dollar more) of the pre 1956 Gleason albums so they just did them over. No one noticed that the stereo versions were not exactly the same as the monos.

Capitol Studios, NYC in the mono era sounded like Capitol Studios in the early stereo era; same musicians, engineers, A&R guy, etc.

11. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Thanks Steve,

I'll buy this. I was way too young (feels good to say that) to have ever paid any attention to Jackie Gleason's music until about 10 years ago, so I know nothing about the real history. I wonder why they did include the mono 'Melancholy Seranade' from 1953 on this disc. I'm pretty sure that I've heard a rerecorded version of that as well, but I think it was also in mono.

And of course, had there been stereo recordings made in 1952, hardly anybody would have been able to hear them outside of the studio. I don't think there were any prerecorded reel to reel stereo tapes prior to 1954, but I could be wrong on this as well. I always thought the 1954 Fritz Reiner 'Also Spracht Zarathustra' was among the first of those.

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The mono Melancholy Serenade on the 2 CD set is the correct hit version.

13. Steve Hoffman

And the re-record (which appears on the "muddy and ill-defined" Razor & Tie version) is a different arrangement completely.

14. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Indeed. His producers included Dick Jones (who served the longest, right up to Gleason's very last recordings in 1971) and Andy Wiswell (who produced the 1963 single "La La La La La La La La" / "It's Such A Happy Day"). Those who conducted in his name included Bobby Hackett (as in, "Trumpet Solo by . . . "), Frank Owens, and George Williams. (In fact, Williams' name is listed as conductor on Gleason's final album ever, Words of Love - Intimacies . . . Spoken and Sung by Jackie Gleason, some copies of the record listing the title on the label as Jackie Gleason Sings for Lovers -- although, ostensibly, The Great One was half-singing, half-speaking, I noticed he tried to do both at the same time.) Arrangers included (at the outset) Pete King. And as Willliam Henry's 1992 bio of Gleason noted, he may not have even written (or, for that matter, co-written) songs credited to him, his only involvement usually consisting of humming a few notes and his arranger taking care of the rest.

Also, Gleason's last records from the mid-'60's up to 1971, were recorded at Criteria Studios of Derek and the Dominos "Layla" / Bee Gees "Saturday Night Fever" era fame. I figure Capitol's particular problems of the time figured in their parting ways with The Great One after that final LP I mentioned.

But I might add, however, that on my copy of this two-CD set, both discs are Disc 2.

15. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

:laugh: ... you can please most of the people ... most of the time ... but not all the people ... all of the time ... or something like that :) ...

16. Steve Hoffman

10 months later and Jackie Gleason Orchestra's VELVET BRASS still rules!!!!!!

Original charts by Billy May. Recorded in stereo (binaural) in 1957 at Capitol Studio, NYC.

My dad loved that LP in the 1950's and he still does...

Just thought I'd mention it. :wave:

17. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

Ah, yes... We'll have to start calling Steve "Mr. Muddy & Ill-Defined". ;) How do you get that muddy sound, Steve? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.