The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Gramps

Gramps Forum Resident

I've got a copy of the first Rush lp on Mercury, (Canadian). It doesn't seem to have any "Moon" affiliation, but the deadwax is marked "MASTERDISK" followed by G. Kong (on Side 1), and G. K. (on Side 2). Anybody know if it has any value? Thanks.
    Rush - Rush

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Your link was for a Sterling cut.
    This might be closer to yours?
    Rush - Rush

Gramps and latheofheaven like this.
  3. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Wow, $174... I'd say that was worth something... :)

4. Slick Willie

From Russian Fed.....and asking price doesn't equal selling price. But still - a collector item due to the label.

Notice last sold and median pricing.
    • Last Sold:
      28 Sep 17
    • Lowest:
      $7.00
    • Median:
      $30.00
    • Highest:
      $57.62

latheofheaven likes this.
  5. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I still have mine. Purchased on release back in the day. Still pristine too!

6. Gramps

Gramps Forum Resident

No, the link I sent has the correct run-out numbers. There doesn't seem to have been any sales of this particular pressing.....which is why I'm wondering....

7. Slick Willie

The copy you linked does not mention Kong, did you not state yours was a Kong? Didn't my link show a Kong credit?
    I may have you confused with another?

What I read:
    I've got a copy of the first Rush lp on Mercury, (Canadian). It doesn't seem to have any "Moon" affiliation, but the deadwax is marked "MASTERDISK" followed by G. Kong (on Side 1), and G. K. (on Side 2). Anybody know if it has any value? Thanks.

latheofheaven and Gramps like this.
  8. Gramps

Gramps Forum Resident

Right, this link has the same run-out as mine, PLUS mine has the Kong information on both sides.
    Rush - Rush

latheofheaven and Slick Willie like this.
  9. Slick Willie

Did you really look at my link? Same runout plus the Kong mention....and a price and sales history.
    Why do I bother! :doh:

10. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Avoid. Doesn't sound good at all.

ytserush, ToddBD and latheofheaven like this.
  11. Gramps

Gramps Forum Resident

I stand corrected. I saw that copy on Discogs, but somehow didn't notice the G. Kong info. You are right....[mod: comments removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2018
  12. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I finally got around to listening to the UK Trident Hemispheres this morning. And damn, it sounds really really good.

That said, I put on the 2015 edition and it's nothing to sneeze at, especially when you crank it up. I found that the UK had a very prominent kick drum and bass in comparison to the 2015, but when cranked, the soundstage is a slightly congested. Not a lot, but enough to notice in comparison. I think that's down to the EQ and compression used when cutting the UK. For the 2015, once you turn up the volume the entire soundstage shines.

But I keep going back to the UK despite the openness of the 2015. It's really, really close in some respects.

It reminds me of comparing the US Gilbert Kong cut of Rod Stewart's "Never A Dull Moment" to Steve and Kevin's DCC cut. While the DCC could be cranked nicely, I kept going back to the GK cut (and Steve even confirmed that the mastering notes from the GK edition cited compression and EQ).

Sometimes, a little analog compression works for rock and roll records. :)

13. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I think UK Hemispheres may be Rush's best sounding record. You can crank it so hard!

14. latheofheaven

Nice comparison mate, thanks! :righton:

15. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I'm listening to a New Zealand pressing of Rush Through Time, and I've gotta say, it's pretty underwhelming. Bright and thin as a wafer; probably the worst sounding Rush vinyl I've heard.

16. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Yes, but that cover is a classic!

DiabloG likes this.
  17. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Scored a Columbia Record Club pressing of "Permanent Waves" today in the wild for $5...no mastering credit on Side 1, Side 2 is MASTERDISK HW

I noticed on Discogs that this pressing for sale is starting at around $17 a pop...is there something about this pressing that stands out from others? I'm still cleaning the damn thing, previous owner didn't take very good care of it.

Echoes Myron and latheofheaven like this.
  18. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I've seen higher prices on record club issues, but by most accounts very few are worth the price. RCA and Columbia pressed these records at their own facilities from dub tapes. The fact that an HW is on Side 2 is strange though. Does the matrix handwriting match on each side?

Echoes Myron and ToddBD like this.
  19. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Sorry if this has clearly been covered before on the thread, but I really would not like to read through 78 pages just for the 1 record.

Im wondering what the best press of Moving Pictures is, according to most of you guys. What I know is that the original Masterdisk RL is good, but there is also the HW which I assume sounds different. I dont understand why they had 2 engineers for the same release though. And then there is also the 2015 reissue, but Im not sure of that since I havnt particularly praised the other ones Ive tried.

Thanks!

SM1985, latheofheaven and c-eling like this.
  20. Slick Willie

Very common for US issues to have multiple masterings. In the case of RL/HW...from the same studio. I would guess that RL cut the first round.

21. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

The MASTERDISK RL pressing is the forum favorite, and my recommendation. The new 2015 is a great choice if you don’t want or can’t find a clean original RL pressing.

I know most people don’t want to read through the thread, but please people, leave the HWs in the bins. In fact, take them out of the (US) record bin and move them to the (English) bin. In comparison to almost every other pressing, it’s where they belong.:cheers:

22. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Yes the handwriting matches on both sides. Matrix Numbers are: Side 1 SRM-1-4001-A-CS3 and a very light 1S and A-5. Side 2 SRM-1-4001-B-CS3 MASTERDISK HW and a very light 1S and A2

23. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Or just get one with both sigs in the wax :D
    I've got a Howie side 1 and a Rob side 2, kinda neat

24. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The 2015 MP is just different I think. They both rock hard.

25. latheofheaven

I think I may have mentioned this before, but I snagged a nice NM 1st Dutch double 'RL' pressing of Moving Pictures for around $25-$30 shipped, and the damn thing nearly blew my frigg'n PANTS off! :yikes: