The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash - 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mBen989, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I loved the movie and the attention to detail. The Piggy In The Middle sequence was filmed at the same location the Beatles filmed MMT.....alas, they did not find the correct concrete blast walls amongst the many there, but only a real hardcore MMT freak would notice that :)

Also note that Ricky Faatar is playing Harrison's hand-painted Stratocaster, just like George did in the movie. It helps to have a Fab on board with the project.

2. davidarob

davidarob Forum Resident

Is the Blu-Ray release re-transferred from the 16mm elements or is it just an upscale from the SD mastering?

3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member Thread Starter

A

4. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Still wishing some video recording of an NBC broadcast of "The Rutles" would turn up somewhere. Earlier home recordings of "Saturday Night Live" episodes are known, I would hope the interest in that show would have led someone to record this when it aired.

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I taped it when it aired.. on my old Panasonic cassette recorder....but, that's about it.

6. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

The unfortunate side effect is that certain graphics have suffered as a result of the cropping - for example, Ron's book "Out Of Me Head" has its title cropped out entirely on the blu-ray. It's an appalling error in judgement to have recropped to 16x9 without including the original 4x3 as an option on the disc.

7. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

My first copy, which I got in the early 80’s was dubbed from a 3/4” tape that my boss had taped off the air in ‘78. There is no question that many in the business did the same thing.

8. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Does anybody know the actress' name in that scene? I always thought she was great!

9. Topaz

Topaz Forum Resident

George Harrison plays an old reporter.

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Kind of an odd decision to start a thread about something so familiar without making any comment on it. Did you think this was new information to many people here?

applebonkerz likes this.
  11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

They were bigger than Rod, you know.

keefer1970 likes this.
  12. Topaz

Topaz Forum Resident

There is nothing ''odd'' about it, some younger fans don't know about it or haven't seen it, I haven't seen it in many,many years.I described what it is about and who stars in it in my topic title.What comments besides what I said about George Harrison plays an older reporter in it you think I should have said? I posted this and members can comment about it.

Mr. E. Tramp and wrappedinsky like this.
  13. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Oh man, I haven't seen that in years. Good stuff.

wrappedinsky and Topaz like this.
  14. Topaz

Topaz Forum Resident

Yes I hadn't seen it in so many years either. A guy Gary Reid Music in the youtube comments who said it took him 40 years to get around to watching this but he's glad he finally did.

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Whatever floats your boat I guess, I cant tell you what comment you should have made.

If I were going to start a thread on a topic that everyone here over 20 already knew about like say "Rocking Beatles Album The Beatles Second Album Starring John, Paul, George, Ringo, George Martin" I might offer an opinion like saying the selection of tracks and the addition of reverb on the stereo version makes them sound like a far heavier rock band than they sound like on any other release from 63 to 65 and that worked perfectly with its R&B covers (which suited that sound) and its fast release on the heels of Meet The Beatles was a great way to keep them entirely dominating the US recorded music scene while they were busy touring and creating A Hard Days Night.

And then folks could tell me that it was a travesty because it was not the sound and track selection that George Martin intended, and we would start to have a discussion.

But I probably wouldn't start that thread because I would figure the topic had already been covered here. Kind of like The Rutles :)

supermolland likes this.
  16. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I know George loved this but you never hear anything about Paul or John. I’ve only read that Neil Innes sent John a copy and it was never returned. Don’t know if it’s true but I would think John would have loved it.

seacliffe301 likes this.
  17. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Paul was not impressed with Get Up And Go, that was a step too far for him.

18. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

From an old thread that's now closed so I can't quote it here, my own personal Neil Innes/Rutles/George Harrison story....

"About 10 years ago I went to a Rutles gig, and I was talking to Neil Innes afterwards (what a nice guy!), and I was asking him about the Rutles Archeology album, and how it came about.

He said that he' been wanting to do more Rutles stuff for a long time but that it didn't feel right after John died. Anyway, he told me that he phoned George Harrison around the time of the Beatles Anthology, and told him he thought the time might be right to do something new with The Rutles, and did George have any objections. George said no problem at all. When Neil said he would go ahead then, George jokingly replied "You realise one of you will get shot now?" " :eek:

Max Florian likes this.
  19. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Doesn't this belong in the Visual Arts area?

It is a great TV show, nice that the whole thing is posted for viewing...but I agree odd how it is being presented here as something new and unknown.

20. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

I hadn't seen this. Thanks for the thread. It's nice to have "new" stuff, but heck, isn't that what most threads are about: reliving our musical pasts together?

Topaz likes this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Glad to see you just discovered the movie. :)

22. Topaz

Topaz Forum Resident

I tell you whats odd your comment to me.

Max Florian likes this.
  23. Topaz

Topaz Forum Resident

Your comment and attitude towards me is odd.I shared a funny,good Beatles spoof film .Should I write a book length description next time for you? If you or another member posted this as I did I would say thanks for posting it,and I wouldn't have said what you did.

Max Florian likes this.
  24. Topaz

Topaz Forum Resident

I didn't say it was new it even says 1978 on the video description, and why don't you take a poll on here and ask how many members knew about this film and or saw it,or saw it recently.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  25. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Iris Mountbatten ! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.