The Simpsons to Surpass Gunsmoke for Most Episodes on April 29th.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm going to cut and paste this from Sitcoms Online because I thought it was worth noting:

That's quite an achievement for any show, but especially an animated one.

Also, I can't believe Lassie ran for so long! I bet I've only ever seen two or three seasons worth of that show (on Nickelodeon back in the 1980's and early 1990's).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I love The Simpsons. Maybe they can achieve this, wrap up this season and call it a day.

driverdrummer likes this.
  3. PaulKTF

Not a chance as long as the ratings are reasonably good and merchandise still sells like hotcakes.

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This is one of those rare shows, like SNL, that can write their own ticket. Fox will keep them on as long as they want to continue doing it.

ianuaditis likes this.
  5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I don't want to denigrate The Simpsons' achievement, but an ageless animated cast doing it is not quite as impressive as a live action show such as Law & Order doing it.

And The Simpsons has a ways to go before matching Ed Sullivan (1,068 -- not even sure if that's the prime time record)

bmasters9 likes this.
  6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Congrats.

Still watch the show.

7. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I used to watch the Simpsons then about s9 or 10 I stopped watching tried watching again a couple of years ago but found it dull ,stupid and rubbish ! should have been axed years ago!

8. maclen

maclen Senior Member

It's been a long while since I watched the show but seeing there take on New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival will get me to tune in. David Sliverman one of the producers and animators of the show wrote the episode and has been going to Jazzfest for many years.

First look: 'The Simpsons' do New Orleans -- and Jazz Fest

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Nope. Showrunner Al Jean says Fox has no intention to cancel it. They are committed to another year (season 30) and Jean mentioned the Halloween episode in season 31 because the episode number will actually be #666. I thought they'd end at season 30 but now my guess is season 34 since that would end with episode #750. That's May 2023. I figure they want some distance episode-wise from Gunsmoke. Hopefully they won't go the route of replacing voices when/if people die while the show is still running.

Mitland likes this.
  10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Last Sunday's ep was....
    well, it didn't suck!

Pinknik likes this.
  11. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

That's because it has been (for the most part) dull, stupid and rubbish. When the original "power team" of writers left and original ideas dried up, the show morphed into an pale imitation of itself, with episodes focused around lame pop culture / topical references instead of relying on the strength of its characters. The Simpsons of the peak years (Seasons 2-9/10) would mock the incarnation of the show today.

12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Agreed, and I usually get a chuckle out of most of their new episodes. Still, they also tend to leave me thinking, "Well that was something." or "That was an odd one." and they don't tend to be memorable as entire stories.

13. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

The writer of this article forgot about "Chief Wiggam P.I." which among other things included an exterior shot of Tipitina's.

ianuaditis and maclen like this.
  14. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I haven’t watch in years, I lost interest in the new episodes. However, for those who still enjoy the series I am glad it’s on for them. Keep going as long as they can, I can make the choice to watch it or not instead of thinking it should be axed.

15. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

It's a perfectly cromulent achievement.

unclesalty, Joel Cairo, dbsea and 8 others like this.
  16. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Sitcoms Online is a craphole website.

I'm not attacking those who like it; I'm just stating my opinion on it.

AKA and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  17. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

For twenty years-Matt Dillon beat every gunslinger who faced him,and he gets shot down by...Bart Simpson!!

driverdrummer likes this.
  18. The Simpsons actually had a couch gag about this achievement open an episode a few weeks ago.

19. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Record gets broken tonight.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

21. PaulKTF

That would make for an awesome poster or art print reproduction piece (you hear that, Fox marketing people?). :)

22. Kind of sad it had to be this season, which I think is the worst we've had in the last decade. It's pretty apparent they changed writers in the past couple of years.

23. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

On the plus side, last night’s episode made me laugh.

24. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Agreed. I was a regular there for more than a decade, but left five years ago for reasons I don’t care to get into here. I like the guy who founded and owns the site, though.

25. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

And if the Simpsons were real, Bart and Lisa would be about 40, and Homer and Marge maybe 70 or 80!(From Steve's "Tell us something else we don't know" file).

ohnothimagen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.