The Soul Revival: Daptone, Colemine, Big Crown, et al*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andres lira, Nov 17, 2014.

1. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

The Dap-Kings posted this on their Instagram today:

[​IMG]

:D

2. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Stay healthy, Sharon.

bferr1, action pact and DLant like this.
  3. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Yesterday, I received my exclusive Hold On! translucent blue colored vinyl direct from Daptone. I LOVE the thick paper stock they use for their LP jackets; it's a heavy duty card that almost feels like a rigid chipboard cardboard, with the artwork wrapped around and glued to it. Quality, quality stuff!

Also, my copy of Saun & Starr's Look Closer arrived yesterday as well. I'm pretty sure the LP I ordered was listed as black vinyl on Daptone's web site. However, a sticker on the shrinkwrapping noted that I received a colored vinyl LP. Sure enough, it's opaque white with a purple and pink (maybe some warm golden tones, too) sunburst/tie-dyed pattern. Simply stunning!

Thanks, Daptone!

Em., DLant and Jimbino like this.
  4. DLant

Both excellent albums!

ENJOY!

5. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I've been bitten hard by the Daptone bug.
    Didn't realize that the old Desco label Daktaris CD I had was connected to this label until recently.
    I'd heard some Budos Band stuff over the years, dug it, but still didn't make the connection.
    It was the James Hunter records that finally made me realize that I need to pay attention to what this label's been up.
    Playing catch-up now, big time!
    Antibalas, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, and lots of the 45rpm singles...
    Ruling!

JimSmiley and action pact like this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I wish the 45s were less expensive so that I could buy them all. I do have a handful of them anyway, and play them often.

troggy likes this.
  7. action pact

As good as James' records are, he's even better live! The guy puts on a very exciting show.

Em. likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

McLover's Law: If it is on Daptone Records (or their sister labels) grab it. It is at least excellent. Never been let down once. If you like middle 1960's-middle 1970's Soul, R&B, and Funk Bombs, this label is for you. Don't miss them, collect them all.

9. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I can imagine!
    I got into him when "People Gonna Talk" was released (2006), but have slept on getting-out to see him live. I actually wanted to make it to one of his Southern California dates last month, but apart from a festival (which I don't care for), he didn't play any venues nearby. His newest album is incredible!

Sharon Jones is playing locally in September, and I'm thinking on going to see that.

10. action pact

Yeah, it's real good, huh! I pre-ordered and got the autographed version with blue vinyl.

11. action pact

Those are both excellent albums.
    Hrumpf, I only got the standard black vinyl S&S LP. :cussing:
    :laugh:

12. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I've been spinning this one like crazy.
    I geeked-out and ordered the mono mix on vinyl, too.

[​IMG]

johnnypaddock and DLant like this.
  13. DLant

Such a great album! I have the stereo and mono versions and both are extremely listenable and groovy.

CusBlues and Em. like this.
  14. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Wasn't that the title of a Kinks album? :)

CusBlues likes this.
  15. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

CusBlues, Jimbino, JimSmiley and 2 others like this.
  16. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I think Sharon sounds so great when she covers quality material (as I mentioned in a different thread on here). I just really think a lot of the original material is trite and cliche. She sounds incredible on this one!

CusBlues likes this.
  17. DLant

Trite? No way.

Cliche? Nope.

Pure soul magic? Yes.

Bosco Mann (Gabriel Roth) is one hell of a songwriter, as I've stated before and I feel that the original material gets even stronger with each new release.

Bosco's music/lyrics are on a whole different level, and hit with a lot of emotion and power. I also think that Sharon wouldn't sing sub-par material; she's a force of nature and doesn't do anything that she doesn't want to do. I feel that way about the entire Daptone family of musicians.

bubbachateau, bferr1 and CusBlues like this.
  18. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

You are entitled to your opinion, as am I... Sharon could sing the phone book and make it soulful. I'd rather hear her sing Amy Winehouse or Shirley Bassey or the Allman Brothers. I'm sure she'd sound great singing some of the James Hunter tunes, as well -- but I just don't think ALL of the original material holds up (though I am a fan and seeing them live takes the material to another level).

AnalogJ, CusBlues and DLant like this.
  19. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

This is one of their more recent-ish 45's that I really dig. Magnificent version of this Etta James tune.
    It led me to check out the rest of The Fightnrs' available stuff, which is really good, too. I hope Daptone puts-out more of their stuff in the future.

[​IMG]

20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Kind of mad I hadn't kept up with all things dap lately, at least vinyl. I'd love to get some of their recent things on the colored vinyl, but don't want to spend $30 for Bob and gene clear 45, you know? I love colored vinyl, it's a curse.

That said, they have a stoop sale today at 5pm to 8pm eastern, and the site said online LPs will be $10 ($15 for 2LP sets) during the same hours. I've got a bunch I want to pick up, could be an expensive afternoon. Really wish they'd repress Sugarman 3 Pure Cane Sugar on vinyl, I play that cd all the time

Em. and DLant like this.
  21. DLant

I've got a list made for today's sale, including a t-shirt for the lady of the house.

Also, I was lucky enough to find a gently used LP of Pure Cane Sugar on eBay and it sounds sublime. Especially with Charles Bradley and Lee Fields.

22. guidedbyvoices

I think there's a ton of great Daptone songs, but I do agree there are some clunkers sometimes on the second sides of some of them, usually lyrically. Making Up and Breaking Up is a favorite of mine in nearly every way, but those Humpty Dumpty lines are pretty bad.

One thing I noticed lately seeing Sharon on tv the last few months - it looks like the dap kings are being a little more replaceable than in the past, horns seem interchangeable since Dave and the other guy went to the tonight show.... When I first got into Daptone, it was the dap kings core, then everything seemed to split from there, Sugarman and guy on horns, homer on drums, tommy TNT and binky on guitar, bosco.... Never see tommy anymore, maybe he's just staying at home making music for Charles Bradley and not touring? The music still sounds fine, just that those guys were who I latched onto first. Nothing gold can stay

23. guidedbyvoices

Are you actually going to the stoop or shopping online? May just be LPs on sale online.

I could go eBay for pure cane sugar, I just prefer buying direct from dap when I can, give them the $

DLant likes this.
  24. DLant

I'll be online, I'd love to be at the stoop in Brooklyn. I also prefer to buy it from them directly, but after hearing it and finally finding one, I jumped on it.

Send an email to Andy. I just sent him one the other day about the colored vinyl for Saun & Starr's Look Closer and he hooked me up.

25. guidedbyvoices

I bought a ton years ago. They make fun 45 Friday's with a drink. Especially the one offs like Eddie and Ernie....

action pact and DLant like this.