The sound of Nat King Cole's The Magic of Christmas & The Christmas Song ALBUMS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dale 88, Dec 14, 2012.

1. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

What's with the 1962 on the new pressing?

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

For those who don't know who "Edith Bergdahl" is/was:

Simon A likes this.
  3. MLutthans

Isn't that accurate for the first issue of the The Christmas Song LP (as opposed to 1960's The Magic of Christmas, from which 13 of the 14 songs stemmed)?

Also, I found a 1960s label on Discogs.com:
    R-1624766-1405132187-4480.jpeg
    How odd that it, like Bryan's 2014 label scan, shows no credit for "Bergdahl," yet the The Magic of Christmas labels include "Bergdahl" (1960-1962 pressings), and my old yellow-label (1973???) pressing had it, as does my 1970s UK pressing and 1980s USA LP pressing. Weird.

4. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Simon A likes this.
  5. MLutthans

Interesting. 1963, then?

6. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm Thread Starter

1963 is listed nearly everywhere on the web, I believe. Does the Ruppli discography list the year of release for Capitol albums?

McLover likes this.
  7. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

He doesn't. I've always assumed 1963 -- a big reissue year for Cole/Capitol.

8. MLutthans

@bferr1 sent me a couple of clips from the newly released Capitol/Universal LP. Just playing it now, and this is definitely not the original stereo mix.

9. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Huh. That's what I get for not paying close attention while chasing my daughter around!

10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Matt, is this simply a vinyl version of an already released CD or could this be a new remix?

11. MLutthans

Still listening, and not positive yet, but I'm leaning toward a repeat of 2010's A Jolly Christmas. :( In other words, this appears to be the Norberg master cut to LP, but don't quote me on that just yet. AT BEST, it's a reverb-added new remix, but I'm pretty certain it's the Norberg remix (heavy NR, added reverb -- but less overload distortion and arguably superior tone quality) cut to vinyl.

12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

So it looks like I bought a platter of pressed ****. Doesn't fill me with hope for those Sinatra titles...

McLover likes this.
  13. MLutthans

Well, I am slower than most to totally condemn the Norberg mix on this album, not because the Norberg mix is all that great, but because the original stereo mix is pretty bad to start with, and the Norberg mix solves some of the inherent problems with the original mix, while adding some other, distinct problems of its own. Neither is "right," but the Norberg is, at least, very different -- and in places arguably better -- in mixing style.

21 seconds of Deck the Hall, in this order:

1. Original mix from 1986 CD. Note how dry (reverb-free) everything is, and how bright/overly-present the choral sound is.
    2. New 2014 LP (clip from @bferr1). Wet vocal....wet everything, and a darker choral sound.
    3. Norberg CD.

https://app.box.com/s/sbo3tvin04wna8usvc50

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    Simon A likes this.
  14. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Then again, Norberg didn't touch the Reprise titles, right? I've got my fingers crossed that at least those titles will be okay. Was Swingin' Brass one of the EOTC titles? I can't remember...

15. MLutthans

Norberg did nothing on the Reprise side of things, so even the EOTCs on Reprise are Norberg-free.

Simon A likes this.
  16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Swingin' Brass was one of the EOTC's, 20-bit mastered by Lee Herschberg.

bferr1, Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  17. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

UMe, for what it's worth, says this is not a remix.

18. MLutthans

Not a new remix. Norberg's remix.

Simon A likes this.
  19. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Right. Just confirming what you already suspected.

MLutthans and Simon A like this.
  20. dale 88

I received my copy of the 2014 LP from UMe - The Christmas Song. I don't care for it at all. Matt, I agree with your earlier analysis, it is wet and dark. In fact, I will go further and say it is murkier sounding than the 1999 Norberg remix it is evidently taken from. I also believe they have turned the bass controls up on everything. I thought the new owners had done that (turned up the bass and midbass) on the first Cole CD from UMe in 2013, Nat King Cole ICON. That CD was Mastered by Mike Jones at Universal Mastering Studios--West; Compilation produced by Frank Collura. I don't know if they did the new LP.

Incidentally, earlier in this thread, the 1999 Norberg remix CD is at the bottom of my list of preferences for the various CD issues of this album.

MLutthans likes this.
  21. dale 88

My LP preferences remain the same. The three issues described in the quote -- post #38 I believe.

Simon A likes this.
  22. MLutthans

You know what all these Cole and Sinatra reissues remind me of? 30+ years ago, all over again. Think about how things were in, say, 1981. Sure, there was the occasional audiophile reissue, but most of the time, when we were buying this old crap at, say, Tower Records, it was just "product." It wasn't hyped as somehow being an accurate recreation of anything, it didn't recreate the original labels, it didn't recreate every detail of the original cover, it wasn't on 180 grams of "audiophile" vinyl. It was just another pressing of (insert title here). Some were really good and some were really bad, but the vast majority were just pretty much sorta okay, and nothing more or less, and anybody who expected anything more (and actually listened carefully to the sound coming out of the LPs) wound up disappointed and quickly learned that it was "just a product" and nothing special. (I would cite the MFSL and 1984/85 UK issues as, at least, attempts to do something sonically special, but they were the exceptions).

I feel like we've kind of come full circle. The above paragraph pretty well describes where we were as the LP era wound down, then CDs hit, and a lot of them sounded very good as the 80s moved into the 90s, then the people who knew what they were doing at Capitol (Pete Welding, Ron Furmanek, Larry Walsh, for instance) moved on to other things, and the Capitol releases lost their sheen and before we knew it, the CDs were back to being just "product." Once again, we got the occasional "audiophile intervention," i.e., DCC and later AP Cole titles, some Sinatra stuff from MFSL, and now we are, by and large, right back in 1981 again, getting peppered with LPs that can best be described as "product." (See paragraph one.) Only difference? It's being marketed as something that somehow recreates an item from the past in some superior way, when in reality, it's as bad or worse a crapshoot as it was "back in the day."

What was a typical SM-series Capitol re-issue LP going for in 1981? $5.98 or something? $5.98 in today's dollars = $16.14. How much can we get a digital download of THIS IS SINATRA for today?
    Screen shot 2014-10-12 at 12.45.32 AM.png
    ...and you don't even get a physical product to hold in your hands. For an LP, it'll run you around $22-ish.

Note that the above photo even uses LP-reissue album art. :ignore:

End of rant.

McLover, Kkfan, bozburn and 5 others like this.
  23. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I've been out of the Sinatra threads for a while, but as the weather gets colder here in upstate NY, I find myself digging out the music of my DNA, Sinatra, Cole, Martin...

Matt, this is a fantastic post! I've been trying to keep up with all the "new" Sinatra releases, and this somewhat sums up what I was feeling.

To the rest of you, I've missed you guys!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2016
  24. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Thanks Matt every time I come on this forum and look at the FS threads I see breathless excitement over re-issues of
    Digital downloads, 180 gram LP's. It reminds me of 30 years when the switch from LP's to CD's brought
    breathless excitement of each new re-issue, I can remember people saying "you can hear FS actually breath"
    (what nonsense, you always could, with the right release) out of the digital age came many unreleased titles
    and some alternate takes. It is happening all over again.

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  25. MLutthans

@DLant -

Always great to have you around these parts! Glad to have you back. :)

Simon A likes this.