The Spalding Gray/Laurie Anderson Age: The creative flourish of New York in the 1980s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by christopher, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic Thread Starter

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-spalding-graylaurie-anderson-age-the-creative,81809/

I lived on LI and worked in NYC during the 80's and saw Gray and Anderson perform many times. This article takes me back...

Later, Chris

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Big fan of Laurie Anderson here. I recently re-discovered her and got all her stuff I haven't heard in decades (like the "United States Live" set) and some I didn't know before. I even watched "Home Of The Brave" again for the first time in about 25 years. I really like her mixture of performance art and experimental pop. And her intelligent humour. I could listen to her for hours (hence the "United States Live" set :laugh:).

3. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Very cool article. I'm fascinated by NYC in the 80's, as it was when I was first exposed to the city. Just picked up "The Journals of Spalding Gray" and am looking forward to seeing the films which have started to come out on disc.

4. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

It was a great time in the city I think it could have been on the verge of some sort of really amazing art movement. Unfortunately AIDS wiped out about 90% of the artistic community in NYC just as things were starting to take off.

5. drasil

drasil Former Resident

bumping this because Laurie is amazing. thanks for posting this article.

(Spalding, too.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.