The Stones' SACDs: Why I prefer the CD section

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGeorge

NGeorge Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did get myself caught up with the hype. So, at lunch yesterday, I bought "Big Hits" and "Hot Rocks 1964-1971."

Obviously, Bob Ludwig did some job remastering The Stones' catalog, considering the age of the master tapes: He has made old tapes into new/old tapes.

Although there were 12 titles for me to choose from, I only got two since some of their albums are not that great and besides, I could go downtown and buy them for a lot less. (Price at HMV Fifth Avenue: $18.99/$35.99 for single and double discs vs. $12.99/$29.99 at J&R; at the Wiz, $14.99/$28.99.)

So, what do I think?

I still prefer my 47 Laboratory Flatfish playing PCM over the Sony SCD-777ES playing DSD on these SACDs. Take the track "The Last Time" from "Big Hits," for example. On the SACD mode, the song is cleaner but very edgy. It feels like it's been NoNoised and shaven too much of that essence - the life - of the recording. On "19th Nervous Breakdown," again, the presentation is cleaner and clearer, but the cymbals, quite stiff, almost on the verge of breaking up. Compared to the Flatfish, the cymbals are full with more body and decay. Even on "As Tears Go By," the 47 Lab player is a lot more natural sounding.

My take: Using old stuff to make new stuff is, basically, still old stuff.

In fairness to the 777ES, though, the Sony has not been fully broken in.

George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.