The "Sundazed" Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DCW, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I had the stereo LP. US second pressing. Horrible mix. There's no mistaking between that and the Sundazed reissue.

By the way, I've heard the needledrop of the original mono and have compared to the Sundazed. You would need lucpak's graphs to tell them apart. (You have compared them as well?)

Asking me is I'd prefer a fold-down over the original is an asinine question, as the former is clearly not what you say it is, and the latter is not available.

You asserted earlier that, for you, sound quality is secondary to provenance ("What difference does it make how it sounds"), so I don't expect you to understand my reasoning. Enjoy your collecting hobby, I'll stick with enjoying the music.

Whoopycat, notesofachord and funknik like this.
  2. PaulM

PaulM Forum Resident

I'm just curious if Discogs is correct or not, I'll verify tonight. Makes no difference to me if it's digital or analog, as long as it sounds good. I haven't been disappointed with anything he's worked on yet.

John Bliss likes this.
  3. owsley

owsley Senior Member

There are some threads here that talk about a handful of bad Sundazed vinyl pressings that came out a while back. Confirmed bad pressings are S&G's 'Parsley Sage' and the Remains double-lp which contains their 1st lp in mono. However I've had good luck and little to complain about with other Sundazed vinyl. If I had to pick a favorite piece of Sundazed vinyl it would be the Early Flytes 45 box by the Byrds. At long last they issued the rare mix of 'I Know My Rider' with additional guide vocal. I had heard this variation years before in miserable sound quality on boots. Hearing it for the first time from master tape on Sundazed 45 was a total thrill.

fortherecord likes this.
  4. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Try the first pressing and get back to me.

The Sundazed is part-fold-down/part-needledrop. So you really aren't getting either one. You're getting Sundazed's "frankenstein" version.

If that is not important to you, then fine. But don't expect anybody to agree with you.

So if they folded down a bunch of Beatles stereo mixes and released them as a mono LP, you would be fine with that because it "sounds good"? Give me a break.

Besides, I also take issue with the sound quality being no better than the LP in the needledrop portions. If they had used a genuine tape, I'm sure it could have been better.

Chris M and IDwithnoE like this.
  5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

The only difference between the first and second pressing is the label design. Same metal parts were used.
    Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - Safe As Milk
    Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - Safe As Milk
    Maybe you're confusing that with the 1970 reissue.
    The Beatles? You mean like the "mono" White Album? That has a lot more fold-down going on than the Beefheart reissue, yet it gets praised to high heaven here (and rightly so).
    If there was an existing genuine tape to speak of, you would have a point.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread - it says a lot that this reissue recieved almost unanimous praise in this forum until lukpac posted his graphs. I asked you earlier if you actually compared the Sundazed reissue to the original mono, as I have. If you had, I would think you would have said so, I guess the answer is no.

There was a time in this forum when people actually used their ears to make judgements about the merits of reissues. It seems now that the reliance on hype stickers, DR numbers, "AAA", and spectrum graphs are all that's needed to settle whether something sounds good or not (assuming that even matters to the collectors).

BEAThoven likes this.
  6. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I've had my fair share of Sundazed LPs but over the last couple of years I have heard other reissues or originals of the same titles and prefer them. So slowly but surely I have been selling them off. I would say I am down to less than a dozen titles now.

JG

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

We'll catch those Sundazed cheaters, you just watch...

[​IMG]

:righton:

8. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

The White Album has two songs that were a fold down on the original LP.

Completely different than creating fake patchwork fold/needledrop versions and advertsing them as the "original analog reels".

You're making lame excuses for their blatantly deceptive practices.

How about the one that Sundazed posted a picture of on Facebook?

Oops, caught in another lie.

It received praise because it was "clean" (because it is in fact part folddown) and because it sounded a lot like the original LP (because it was in fact partially taken from an original LP).

That's exactly what Bob Irwin was hoping people would think. That it "sounds great" and not care that it isn't really authentic.

Of course, there are other Sundazed releases that are phony and sound far worse than "Safe As Milk" does. So your premise is pretty much irrelevant anyway.

The answer is yes. I own an original copy and at one time I owned the Sundazed copy too. I didn't notice right away but I have friends who did, and I was skeptical until noticing that the ends of the songs were entirely different from the original mono mix. Around this time, other people started noticing too.

Again, you are just making excuses for bad behavior.

You don't get it at all. It was released and advertised as the "original mono mix", but it is clearly not, and it was presented in a way as to be completely deceptive.

Just because you were duped and you don't care, doesn't make it acceptable. Some people do care.

Chris M, Scope J and IDwithnoE like this.
  9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I reserve the right to continue to purchase music from Sundazed just as others have the right to continue to boycott them. Isn't this a fun and free world we live in?

sami and mrbobdobalina like this.
  10. bluesfan

bluesfan Forum Resident

Thanks – I wasn’t aware. Speakers Corner say they used analog master tape and the mastering was 100 % analog – whatever that means.

11. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Only Sundazed I have is a 2010 Soft Machine Volume Two. It sounds fairly good, but nothing mind-blowing and not unlike the CD I had for years before.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Unsafe At Any Milk:

Except, no. I would have never even looked into the issue if people hadn't already said "something isn't right here". Maybe *you* can't tell them apart, but that doesn't mean others can't.

Also, I'm not aware of who lucpak is, nor what their graphs may be.

As large portions of the Sundazed are needledrops of the original mono, it's not clear what your point is. At best the Sundazed sounds about as good as a good playback of a clean LP. At worst is sounds noticeably more distorted, or isn't the mono mix at all.

Thankfully many of us still do.

ParloFax, kelhard and WonkyWilly like this.
  13. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Jealous.:cry:

14. PaulM

PaulM Forum Resident

Finally got around to putting this on, it sounds fantastic! KPG in the deadwax, and pressed at Quality Record Pressing. I've got no reason to seek out any other pressings after this $17 purchase!

15. Serafin

Serafin Well-Known Member

Hello everybody, after a time reading this forum and learning so much, I would like to ask you about Sundazed John Mayall and the bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton LP that is selling in sundazed pages, does the blue color vinyl affect to the sound quality in any way?
    I ask this because the picture disks have bad reputation about sound quality.
    Thank you.

16. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I don't think Sundazed does Picture Discs. There's a difference in that and colored vinyl. Picture Discs have a picture layer insert in the vinyl, not good. Colored vinyl can sound just as good as black, which is a color also.

17. Serafin

Serafin Well-Known Member

You are right, Sundazed does not make picture discs, they have a limited edition of Mayall BB w/ Clapton blue disc. Thank you for the info.

18. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I find surprising that KG cut of Bo Diddley's S/T for Sundazed didn't get more attention here. It's one of the best rock and roll albums of all time and Kevin's cut is wonderful. Best I've heard those songs.

19. sami

sami Mono still rules

Sundazed and Norton are a godsend with regard to '60's garage music. The mono Spirit self titled, mono Notorious Byrd Brothers, and mono Love self titled are three examples of very hard to find originals that Sundazed did a spectacular job on.

20. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I'm grateful for their Ventures reissue campaign, some of which are now gone but there's still a few left and
    "Walk, Don't Run Vol. 2" recently got a CD reprint so I snagged a safety copy as that was the second of two records I first heard as a kid in the '60s that fired my adrenaline booster into the stratosphere and made me love the Ventures electric guitar sound and Rock 'n Roll in general. The other was
    "The Kingsmen In Person, Featuring Louie, Louie " which Sundazed also reissued on CD . For that they will always have a special place in my heart. Many other great titles I own came from them:

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
    "Hard Road" and
    "Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton "
    Shadows of Knight "Gloria " and
    "Backdoor Men"
    Oscar & The Majestics
    " No Chance Baby"
    The Sonics ‎"Introducing The Sonics"
    The Guess Who "Shakin All Over"
    Jimmy Page & The Yardbirds
    "Little Games" mono edition
    Lots of cool V.A. comps like
    "Psychedelic Microdots, Vol. 1: Orange, Sugar & Chocolate"
    "Psychedelic Microdots, Vol. 2: Texas Twisted"
    "Psychedelic Microdots 3"
    (My Rainbow Life)

Lots of cool tunes ! :cool:

I just wish they'd do more with
    new CD reissues, like many of the
    titles they have that are vinyl only

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    jazon and clhboa like this.
  21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm listening to a just purchased Sundazed LP of the album. It sounds very good, albeit not an audiophile's dream. It sounds analog, defined, and fairly colorful.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

All music sounds analog.

John B likes this.
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Okay. Analog mastered.

DB :p

24. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

Yeah i just slapped this on and cranked TB SHEETS ......

I have a hard time believing this one was cut from a digital file ......

I was looking for info on this pressing and can´t find anything ...... i agree it sounds FANTASTIC. Just jumps outta my speakers

You´d think if it was cut from tape they´d say so on the website .... but there is no info on the source at all. Bizarre.

Anyway, this one is a total winner for sure. A nice full bottom end balancing it all out !

25. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I love all THE REMAINS TITLES &I cherish THE TRASHMEN Box-set...."BIRD-CALL'S"!!WONDERFUL COLLECTION!!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019