The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I just found out I did a wrong math. Also, I'm not sure about the effective mass of the GR's arm. Some say 12g but it seems like a magazine measured it at about 8-9g. But if Audacity says its around 9.8 than it must be right.

displayname likes this.
  2. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

I am finding that my 1200G sounds best with no clamp or weight. I am using a Boston Audio Mat and I have read that the mat does not like a weight or clamp when in use and that may have something to do with it. I have found that the Arche' headshell with silver wires sounds great withthe Lyra Delos on this table FWIW

NOS300B likes this.
  3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Interesting...I am using the stock mat, and I've listened to some more bass-heavy tracks with a Clearaudio Concept Clamp (215 g) and without, and to my ears the bass is clearly tighter and deeper with the weight than without, with no perceptible changes otherwise. I also have the KAB TD-1000 fluid damper, which improves bass response yet again in the same manner, making it deeper and more taut. On my system -- to my ears -- the turntable sounds best with both the weight and the fluid damper, though I've only tried it with the stock mat.

Keep in mind I am using Harbeth 40.2 speakers, which are pretty much full-range. These changes in bass may not be perceptible (or as perceptible) with smaller speakers.

4. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I partly agree Sean but usually prefer without the weight/clamp because the increased bass tightness robs it of some decay (which sounds more organic & natural to my ears) ...system includes 4 x 15", 2 x 12" & 2 x 10" drivers so it's certainly perceptible - although depth of bass doesn't change

5. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I was able to grab an Auditorium 23 Hommage mat off of eBay for much less than the retail price. I'm really digging it so far. Has much more balance than the stock mat and definitely waaaayyyy less static buildup (pretty much zero static). I was nervous that it would be a bit too big for the 1200G platter, but it's not. It wound up fitting perfectly.

It's an interesting material. Seems like a rubberized felt. Much different than what I thought it would be.

6. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Thanks for the input...I'll do some more listening with and without the weight. It may be dependent on the music. The records I was testing this on were 80's rock/pop with punchy electric bass lines. Perhaps it's better without the weight on jazz titles with acoustic bass and the like. I'd prefer not to use it since it's just one more thing to do before playing a record!

7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

That's interesting...I do seem to get static build-up on some records, but not all. Never able to figure out why. It's not audible at least.

8. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Oh, I don't have static problems that are audible. It's just when I lift the record off the platter, it's extremely staticky. With A23, there is pretty much no static whatsoever. And the mid-range is just a lot clearer than with the rubber mat.

snorker likes this.
  9. Hope this is not dumb. If I buy GR does it matter as much what it sits on?

Minty_fresh likes this.
  10. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Not dumb at all. For the G or the GR I don't think it matters all that much as long as it's on a stable platform. I can get some sound when tapping on the cabinet I have the turntable sitting on with the stylus in the groove, but I don't think it gets any break-through just from the speakers playing music. If need be you can install Isonoe isolation feet to isolate it further.

11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

@Drewan77, I think I prefer the sound with the weight regardless...it doesn’t seem to impact the decay to my ears. It’s just deeper and more taut with the weight, which sounds better to me.

There is some technical argument for a clamp/weight or vacuum hold-down: My understanding is that when the lacquer discs are cut, they are held tight to the
    platter using vacuum. So it stands to reason that the firmer the record is held to the platter the less it can freely vibrate. Of course, a lot of this just comes down to one’s own preferences.

12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

You know, Ive been listening some more this evening...I’ve got the recent Analog Spark reissue of Dave [Brubeck] Digs Disney, and the soundstage appears “taller” and a bit more holographic without the weight, though there’s a slight bit of harshness to the cymbals and piano comparatively. I could go either way! :laugh:

13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

as long as it's stable and level. the GR is the most vibration isolated and damped table I have ever owned. tap the plinth with the tonearm in the grove and nothing......

14. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I just tried tapping directly on several locations around my 1210GR's plinth while playing a record, and I couldn't hear any effects of doing this through my speakers. I must admit that this is really quite remarkable performance in this regard.

recstar24 likes this.
  15. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

@snorker, maybe it's the combination of support in my system that affects decay. I originally compared a large, heavy block of composite cutting board with a thin bamboo board & a lightweight Ikea Lack table top (all sat on 3-layer Wagner isolation pads - as is all equipment in my system). The first two removed some of the liveliness from the music whereas the Lack gives a more airy presentation with a slighter but noticeable sense of decay and that is what I preferred.

[​IMG]
    (by the way, the small allen key in the pic above is used to sometimes ....very carefully.... hook & move the VTA lock mechanism during play so I can turn the adjustment ring when using a different thickness LP. It's easy underneath the tonearm in the first part of a side ....but do this at your peril !)
    [​IMG]
    (a bulk batch of these were purchased in the USA several years ago for $20 for 64 pieces, Now: MP-2E - DiversiTech MP-2E - E.V.A. Anti-Vibration Pad, 2" x 2" x 7/8" )

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  16. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Nice. Good idea on the Allen key...I’ve just done it carefully without, but that could definitely make it easier.

I may have to try some of those pads...the price looks right!

17. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Any recommendations on a good matching MC cartridge for the GR? I'm currently running a 2m black and love the combo but the neverending curiosity bug is hitting... Budget is $1000, preferably $750 USD. Thanks for suggestions!

18. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

audio technica art 9. sounds amazing on the GR and easily sounds better than any cart at or moderately above its asking price.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  19. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Thanks! I'll check it out.

20. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

When I demoed the GR the dealer selected the HANA SL to pair with it because he felt it was the best match with the table. It's also generally well regarded here. Might be another that's worth considering.

HiFi Guy and punkmusick like this.
  21. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

I am not sure if anybody mentioned this yet but the amount of torque on the platter bolts on the 1200G, GAE make a big difference in the sound. I just have them snug, not tight. Has anybody else tweeked the bolts?

JoeSmo likes this.
  22. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

I think you are correct

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Do Technics specify a Torque setting? Overtightening bolts is a no no. (see the 1200G v Linn thread).

24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I’m pretty sure the older 1200’s were more or less the same. In high school, my two best friends and I had a little DJ crew and we did local dance and house parties for kids in our high school. We ran 2 1200’s into a vestal mixer and we spun mostly house and hip hop. I can’t tell you how many times those things got bumped by overzealous kids, or in frustration we knocked on them (I remember one time my friend got so upset for some reason and he pounded on the table with his fist), they never skipped and you never heard anything through the speakers. The new ones are seriously overbuilt (in a good way).

wgb113 and MusicNBeer like this.
  25. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

There is a significant difference in the amount of torque required to over-tighten a machine screw into threaded aluminum alloy when compared to a wood-screw into a Linn arm-board (which is essentially particle board). But your point about being cautious is valid.