The Thin Man

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Francis A Carr, Jul 19, 2017.

1. knob twirler

knob twirler Forum Resident

Chapel Hill, NC
    I managed to lose the last two and the documentary from the box in my last move. Had to buy them again, even though I don’t even *like* Song of the Thin Man. That’s the geek collector sickness in microcosm, I think:)
  2. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Murfreesboro, TN
    Even though I’m a big Hammett fan and know how mgm tried to turn this series into a more family friendly one with the later sequels...

These are absolute gems and must sees. Because of these I’ve been in love with Myrna Loy since I was a kid. One tries and fails miserably to emulate Powell’s staggeringly phenomenal delivery.

I hadn’t gotten to see the later sequels until a year or two ago. Despite their lesser reputation and certainly coming way after the Code was set they are enjoyable and fun watches. As for availability the boxset is super expensive and the discs are replicated in two TCM four film collections much as the OOP Tarzan sets were repacked without their bonus discs.

However I lucked out and found the Laserdisc boxset for five bucks which has the same masters for the sequels as the dvds and is a wonderful set. It’s a nice big lovely display piece and can be had for next to nothing.

And as much as the first film is regarded as a classic I think the second is its equal and probably superior. After the third film the tone of the series changes but these later films are still surpringly good for the most part.

Lastly, if you haven’t seen it and love the Thin Mans, try Libeled Lady with Powell/Loy which is one of the absolute great classic American screwball comedies.
  3. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Chicago, IL USA
    Curiously, I actually like this one, maybe because I played the clarinet and a main character was a clarinetist, and it had a musical theme with a lot of mid-forties "hipster lingo". I always admired the look and style of all the series' films, which never lapsed in to B territory. Almost in common with the Bond series, it was always considered a first rate series, with a loyal following.

Lots of actors in Hollywood fought aging or maturing as it was sometimes called. Jack Benny wrote in his autobiography that George Burns was (in his mind) the person who best understood it and suggested to Jack that he (and other, including himself) should age. After all, Burns said, we can't just play young dating people all our lives. I think the studio was proud of Nick and Nora as being a couple who did age, had kids etc. What I remember liking about them is, unlike my parents, they seemed to keep their humor and party-happy lifestyle throughout all the changes.

While Woody Van Dyke did not direct, and Frances Goodrich and Albert Hacket, the married script-writing team who did most (but not all) the others didn't write it, I still feel it was of high quality. I too had a crush on Myrna Loy. Apparently in real like, so did a lot of men. She was married (and divorced) four times. What a beautiful face and lovely voice!!!
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  4. BradF

BradF Forum Resident

SW Ontario
    Oh gawd, now it's in my head again, Blondie Bumstead singing Smoke Dreams at the Lychee Club.
    Steve Litos likes this.
  5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City!

Fonthill, Ontario
    Time for a Thin Man marathon :cheers:
  6. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Active Member

Also why the series still packs a punch...
    " The important thing is the rhythm. Always have rhythm in your shaking. Now a Manhattan you shake to fox-trot time, a Bronx to two-step time, a dry martini you always shake to waltz time. " Nick Charles
  7. RolandG

RolandG Forum Resident

Still my favourite dialogue:

Nick: I'm a hero. I was shot twice in the Tribune.
    Nora: I read where you were shot five times in the tabloids.
    Nick: It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids.
    Jazzmonkie and Alan G. like this.