The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DLant, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I wonder if viewers would've tired of Leno by now, especially in this environment we're in.

dan c

3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Where Jimmy breaks into constant intrusive fits of laughter

MikaelaArsenault and DME1061 like this.
  4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Yeah, my mom is a fan, I've watched a couple of his Tonight Show episodes, but I'd rather sit through his movies than his Tonight Show

5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

One of the things I don't like about his interviewing style is that he'll ask a question of the guest, and cut them off before they've finished. I've always thought he's thinking, "I can't wait to play a game. Let's go!"

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Colbert is beating him in the ratings, big time.

7. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Maybe that's why his buddy Justin Timberlake did COLBERT last night! :winkgrin:

O Don Piano likes this.
  8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I wondered whether JT called Jimmy to get his blessing to be on the Late Show. He's never been on it before.

9. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

As in, "Yeah, so I'm in town but I'm gonna talk to the guy down the street who gets a wider audience..."

10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

JT and Colbert even did a shoutout to Fallon during their little sketch on the blanket.

RoyalScam likes this.
  11. timind

timind phorum rezident

Salt in the wound.:eek:

12. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Nah, I think it was in fun, and acknowledging the awkwardness.

timind likes this.
  13. So what does that demographic info indicate? That 60-70% of the late-night audience are teenagers and over 50? Weird. Anyway, Fallon is still leading in the 18-49's, where everyone has lost viewers.

14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Billy Infinity likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I preferred Craig Ferguson.

realkilroy likes this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Looking at the 2017 numbers, it looks like only about 26% of the total viewers watching the three late-night talk shows are within the 18-49 demographic. That is kind of weird, but it doesn't necessarily mean that 74% of the total late-night audience is teenagers or over 50; it likely means that the vast majority of the 18-49 year old audience is choosing to watch something other than the three network talk shows. Since it seems unlikely there are a huge amount of teenagers watching these shows, it appears that the late-night talk show viewership is skewing older, and younger viewers are losing interest in the format. That would seem to be borne out by the data, since even though Fallon has lost a whopping 23% of his 18-49 viewers, neither Colbert or Kimmel has seen an increase in that department. Clearly, those viewers have moved on to watching other things. And in like matter, Colbert's 20% increase in total viewers this year appears to be coming entirely from viewers outside the 18-49 demo.

rburly and forthlin like this.
  17. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

When he took over, truly thought Fallon was going to be the new late night standard bearer. His approach was fresh, witty, and new.
    I find it now tiresome. He’s further dumbed down for his audience an already dumbed down formula.

I rarely watch late night TV anymore, but if I do I’ll be watching Colbert.

18. rburly

My son (20-year-old) rarely, if ever, watches TV. The phone has become the way to go for many young people today.

19. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

My daughter & her husband (mid-30s) don't watch any tv shows. Sometimes when I go over there they might have a game on but they really don't even pay attention to it.
    My daughter says she doesn't have time to watch shows, I just think she's not very interested.
    I find Fallon a likable fellow but I watch only Colbert, and usually just for the monologue and comedy sketches.

rburly likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

rburly likes this.
  21. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Jimmy Fallon's conscious decision to walk around the Trump Presidency is hurting his ratings. You can dance around it all you want, but that's the only explanation for his ratings drop.

Jay Leno was fantastic at making political jokes without ever being polarizing. Anyone who claims Jay Leno had a left/right bias is just wrong.

Colbert/Kimmel have drawn a line in the sand. And probably alienated some viewers.

Fallon just pretends no one cares about politics. Its sinking his show, but at this point its probably too late to correct it and seem authentic. Its too bad because I enjoy Fallon. But I'd be surprised to see him hosting the Tonight Show 2 years from now.

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That would seem to be the explanation for his decrease in total viewers (and Colbert's concurrent increase). However, it does not seem to be the reason for his decrease in viewers in the 18-49 demographic, since Colbert and Kimmel have not seen any increase in that group. Viewers in the demographic who are deserting Fallon are not switching to Colbert or Kimmel, but instead are apparently choosing to watch something besides a late-night talk show. Which suggests it's something other than politics that is making viewers in that age group desert Fallon.

I still say it depends on where his viewership goes from here. If it stabilizes at the level it's at now, I can't imagine them getting rid of him (he's still first in the demo, after all). If it continues to drop (especially if it drops to the point he is actually behind Kimmel) only then would I say he's at risk of being fired.

rburly likes this.
  23. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

The rise of James Corden (even though he's on a little later) also has had a huge impact on both Fallon's ratings and viral success. His authenticity has also really been called into question in a time where such a trait is highly valued. A lot of Fallon's show seems objectively forced and not natural - I don't think he has to be Colbert, who's ratings have a firm ceiling due to the political nature of his show, but rather just a actually do what he does better, if that makes any sense.

Maybe it's just me, but I just can't see late night hosts hosting the same show for 20+ years anymore. If Fallon were to leave the Tonight Show (I imagine it would be more amicable than being fired, but he would be told to wrap it up nicely) he could always have a career in other ways - I could even see him rejoining SNL (his real talent in my opinion).

rburly likes this.
  24. rburly

The problem I have with these shows in general is that I work hard all day and want to relax. I want something with humor that makes it easy to relax and fall asleep. If I want political humor, I watch those shows. But if I want to come home relax, these shows aren't for me anymore either. I scan to see who, if anyone, I'd like to see interviewed. That's who I'll watch. I skip the monologues and tune in around midnight.

Osato likes this.
  25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I don't see how Corden would have an impact on Fallon's ratings when they are not in competition with each other. It's also worth noting that although Colbert is beating Fallon by a large amount of total viewers, Corden is not holding the audience but is losing to Seth Myers. At this point, Corden does not seem to be "on the rise" anymore.

I agree that it's unlikely any host will still be around in 20 years. But I do not see Fallon being asked to leave anytime soon, unless his ratings drop substantially more than they have. And I'd guess there's zero chance he'd go back to SNL. That would be seen as a humiliating demotion, and no former cast member has ever returned to the show as anything but a guest (except Darryl Hammond in his role as announcer).

fluffskul and Dan C like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.