The Velvet Undergound '1969' (New 2xLP)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FrixFrixFrix, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

VU/1969
    Something Different.

Vinyl : Clean,not noisy pressing.
    Spindle hole big( yay)
    Inner sleeve acceptable.
    Sounds great on my rig.
    So a big thumbs up for the euro pressing. Got my copy for 25.00.
    One amphetamin r u s h!!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Chemguy, mr.datsun and erowid like this.
  2. alexpop

The Velvet Underground- Live 1969

Mini skirt /boots 1970s double album.

Read Mo Tucker said it was supposed to be coming out (reissue),but that was a few years.

3. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Has anyone done a definite write-up of the new mixes this set introduces? I know posters have reported that "I Can't Stand It" is a new, previously unheard mix (not the 2014 mix, not the VU mix) - any others?

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Yes. A detailed look from @Leaman:

The Velvet Undergound '1969' (New 2xLP)

5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Has that been established yet? I hadn't heard any definite answer on whether it was a totally different mix or possibly somehow edited.

6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

That states Rock and Roll as being a different mix, but it was an original 1969 mix on Another View and the 45th set. Does the new vinyl really have a new mix?

7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Next year is the 50th Anniversry of the live shows, so that seems as sensible a time as any. I wouldn’t bet the money in my pockets that there will still be a viable CD market to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the actual album in 2024, but who can say?

8. alexpop

This is a good sounding live album. Crappy original album cover.

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

BTW, do you recall where you read that Mo comment? I'm wondering if she might have been referring to The Matrix Box and just didn't phrase it clearly. Not that I doubt a Live 1969 reissue isn't in the cards at some point. They've basically done EVERYTHING else (including the Golden Archive compilation), and I can't believe it's never been released as a single 2CD volume. But a End of Cole Avenue set might be more useful, particularly since it seems Universal has a better source tape than what's been booted.

10. alexpop

It was a few years ago. Thinking about it the article did mention The Matrix Box, but it also mentioned the 2LP 1969 live album as well. I'm sure she's was referring to 1969 double album.

11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Still don't have it, so I can't say yet. But seems unlikely. Is it possible that they made two mixes in 2014 - one with the countdown and one without? Can't see that they'd go to the expense of creating a whole new mix just to get rid of the count-down.

12. alexpop

What about Live At Max's single album for years eventually a expanded 2 cd version of that came out.

13. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I think it's strange they never released this in full. Maybe they feel the sales would be poor due to it being so heavily bootlegged for decades. But c'mon, next to the Matrix, it's the only excellent sounding recording.

Maybe next year before the copyright expires. Unfortunately, it won't shock me if they screw it up and either use the boot source or make silly edits.

AlienRendel and DeeThomaz like this.
  14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

They expanded it to 2CDs, then scaled it back to one full CD. Never understood that decision. Especially the insane decision to excise a "Sweet Jane" (the one heard on the original album) but leave both Cowboy Bills. The full CD version, missing a couple tracks, was issued on 2LP. And it's still at the wrong speed.

TeddyB, DeeThomaz and alexpop like this.
  15. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

If the interview was from a few years ago, could she have been referencing ORG's 2010 RSD issue of Live 1969 that was cut by Bernie Grundman and split into two separate albums?

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

My aghast was it took decades for a expanded version ( 2CDS), just wish it came out as a double in seventies.

rnranimal likes this.
  17. alexpop

Sounds about right.

18. alexpop

Was Doug Yule's VU European live dates recorded?

19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

alexpop likes this.
  20. Leaman

Leaman Has a foggy notion

I’d agree with your assessment. “I Can’t Stand It” sounds like the 2014 mix, minus the count-in. It does sound a tad bit different, as does most of the songs included here, but I’d chalk that up to vinyl vs. digital and the mastering here. The credits do indicate the mixes are not new.

As I noted earlier, the guitar feedback in “Hey Mr. Rain (Version 2)” seems much more pronounced than on Another View or the 45th anniversary set of WL/WH. It’s the most noticeable sonic difference for me.

21. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

My copy, European, is flat and quiet. It feels like a nearly perfect addition to my vinyl Velvets collection, except for that fourth side repeating the material from White Light bounus album... I would have loved them to have added the Matrix tracks that only existed in live form at this time: Over You, Sweet Jane, Sweet Bonnie Brown/Too Much, New Age.

22. alexpop

Doesn't flow as well as VU ( and Another VU), but I'm not complaining.

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i used to have most of the on v.u.

24. alexpop

VU 1969 Euro Voucher Code.
    Should be available in a few days.

25. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Better mixes here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.